Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Tenbrook Archery
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Timothy Loran & Dad

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » How do you sharpen Howard Hill broadheads

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you sharpen Howard Hill broadheads
Orion
Contributor 2014
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm running a file along the ferrule, but that takes off quite a bit of aluminum, and I'm not getting them as sharp as I would like.
Posts: 6664 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aromakr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aromakr   Email aromakr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There not the easiest to sharpen, I alter mine by removing the Aluminum ferrule then I turn steel ferrules on my lathe and silver solder them to the blade. I can then get them scary sharp.
Bob

--------------------
Man must "believe" in something! I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Posts: 1357 | From: Hamilton, Mt. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2014
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob: Are you using the steel ferrules priumarily for weight, or strength, or both? Though the aluminum isn't as strong, seems it should be strong enough for elk size animals on down. Are you using a flat file? How do you handle the concaveness of the blade. Would appreciate a quick tutorial on your process.
Posts: 6664 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aromakr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aromakr   Email aromakr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the steel ferrule for both reasons as well for the ease of sharpening. My steel ferrule will give me 160 grains with the small blade.Use a 6" Mill bastard file, it will work around the concaved blade with out a problem. Take your time, file both sides and keep the filed edge flat until a slight burr is developed, then just lap the burr off.
Bob

--------------------
Man must "believe" in something! I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Posts: 1357 | From: Hamilton, Mt. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2014
Member # 2759

Yep. That's what I did. Helped to slow down a little. Thanks for the info.
Braveheart Archery
SPONSOR
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Braveheart Archery   Author's Homepage   Email Braveheart Archery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a great how to video by Tom Mussato on this subject, I think it's in the video section of this site. He does basically what you're doing, except he's a master at it.

--------------------
Braveheart Archery www.braveheartarchery.us
The web home of Firefly Bows.
Shipping rates start at just $1.99!
Trad Gang Sponsor since 2006

Posts: 2791 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer 1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archer 1   Email Archer 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried to sharpen a HH head, but would like to give it a try. If anyone has a few they are not using, let me know, and maybe I have something you can use.

--------------------
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Posts: 383 | From: Harrison, Mich. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Mussatto
Contributor 2011
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Mussatto   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mussatto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There will demonstrations of sharpening 2, 3, and 4 blade broadheads on TradGang's DVD. Hill heads and/or Hill style heads will be included.

--------------------
Tom Mussatto

Posts: 1308 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, I think I recall seeing Howard sharpen up some of his heads in movies, He is using a file, but not in the classical way. He was using it as a draw file and just following the edge. but not overlapping the ferrule (just the tip was drawn along the edge of the blade, the file held at 90 degrees to the broadhead. I think the head is too narrow to use the ferrule as a guide. I wonder if you can use one of the accu-sharp kinda sharpeners with that thing ?
ChuckC

Posts: 5203 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
One eye
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for One eye   Email One eye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always wanted to try those Hill heads, but sharpening them kinda scared me off. I do not think you can use the Accusharp for these due to the concave edge.

Dan

--------------------
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Posts: 852 | From: Muskegon, MI | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©