3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Strange or Unexplained (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Strange or Unexplained
Landshark160
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Landshark160   Email Landshark160   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thread on dangerous hunts is great. It got me to thinking about strange things that have happened to me while hunting. The first thing that comes to mind is this one:

I was perched in an enormous oak tree one October morning. It was very foggy and was taking what seemed like forever to get daylight. I usually take a paperback book with me when I hunt, so I decided to take it out and try to read. When I got it out, there wasn't quite enough light to be able to read, so I started looking at the pictures in the middle of the book.

After about a minute, I glance up and a small buck appears like a dream out of the fog and is headed toward me. I stand up and prepare to shoot. He makes his way down a firebreak and will pass within 10 yards. I draw my bow and lightly whistle to stop him. The white feathers spin perfectly and I see it strike him on the money. He makes a short run and I hear him fall.

When I climb down from the tree, I walk over to where he was standing and find good blood and half of my arrow with the broadhead lying on the ground. I make my way down the blood trail at a steady walk as the wide head has really opened him up. About twenty yards into the trail, I find the other half of my arrow, the nock end, lying in the trail. I pick it up and continue down the trail. I find my buck after another twenty yards of trailing. He is beautiful. I inspect the entrance wound and then roll him over to look at the exit. THERE IS NO EXIT WOUND!!! [Eek!]

I took the buck home and skinned him out and there was absolutely no hole in him anywhere but where the arrow went in. I have rolled this over and over in my mind for years and I just can't explain what happened.

Any of you guys ever have anything strange happen while hunting that you just can't explain?

--------------------
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Posts: 741 | From: Vidalia, GA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greyfox54
2017 Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greyfox54   Email Greyfox54   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years back I shot a doe and watched it run off about 30 yards and reach around with her mouth and pull out the arrow , she walked out of sight but only went about another 20 yards and bedded down for good . I had shot her quartering to me as 35 years ago that was thought to be a good shot . Fred

--------------------
Greyfox54

Posts: 1539 | From: Central Jersey | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Krause
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Krause   Email John Krause   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could he have pulled the arrow out with his teeth and dropped the nock end down the trail?

or the arrow broke when he spun to run and the front half got hung up somehow? Saw your reply on the goals thread. Any hogs down that way? [Smile]

--------------------
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow, his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Posts: 803 | From: Troy, Il | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ogopogoman
Member # 13257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ogopogoman   Email ogopogoman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a very strange thing happen in Valleyview Alberta on a Canoe/Hunting trip down the little Smokey river. Maybe i shouldn't tell this one quite yet. I haven't been here long enough to build credibility....Ok..I'll wait awhile.

--------------------
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Posts: 36 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OzarkRamblr
Contributor 2007
Member # 10190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OzarkRamblr   Email OzarkRamblr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on ogopogoman, we love bigfoot stories.. [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 467 | From: Poplar Bluff, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landshark160
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Landshark160   Email Landshark160   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I can't figure it out. He didn't spin around when he ran, just continued on the way he was headed. And he busted out of there on impact and didn't have time to pull it out with his teeth. I thought it might be possible that he ripped it out with his hind leg by kicking at it, broke it after it came completely out, and then somehow managed to carry the nock end with him for the twenty yards running full tilt, but that seems far fetched. The point end of the arrow was lying in the middle of the firebreak exactly where he was standing when hit.
Yeah, we've got hogs around here, but it looks like I'm going to be hunting public land for a while. Just lost my hunting lease this year and don't know when I'll find another one. The paper companies in Georgia have been selling land like it's going out of style.

Alright ogopogoman, it's been long enough, don't leave us hangin' like that. That's just wrong. [Smile]

--------------------
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Posts: 741 | From: Vidalia, GA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fredbear92
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredbear92   Author's Homepage   Email fredbear92   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah ogopogoman! please I want to hear it!!!

--------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Posts: 591 | From: Ridgeland, Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biff   Email Biff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40 yrs, ago in Calif, I shot a big Jack Rabbit through the shoulders, and before I even started to walk towerd him, two more Jack's came in and started beating the hell out of him. Rabbits can scratch like a wild cat, and when I got to my Jack he was red and bloody on his head where they scratched him. I was to amused to think about shooting the other Jacks before they ran off. A Fish and Game officer told me weeks later, that sometimes animals turn on their own when wounded. Ever heard of something like that? Biff

--------------------
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Posts: 389 | From: Jackson, Tennessee | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benha
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benha   Email Benha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe bison will turn on a wounded/dead animal.
Posts: 1368 | From: Radcliff Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ogopogoman
Member # 13257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ogopogoman   Email ogopogoman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, but don't say I didn't warn ya!
It's a tad bit long winded...should i still post it???

--------------------
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Posts: 36 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landshark160
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10536

Heck Yeah!!!

Just don't pull a Charlie Lamb and drag it out for three days. [biglaugh]

--------------------
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Ian johnson
Cadet Member
Member # 11656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian johnson   Email Ian johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes!!!!, post it

--------------------
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Posts: 2017 | From: Ponchatoula LA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul/KS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul/KS   Email Paul/KS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're Waiting....!
Posts: 1619 | From: N.E. Kansas | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geno
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geno   Email geno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gut shoot a coyote when others are with it and watch the fun

--------------------
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Posts: 816 | From: missouri | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KILLER B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KILLER B   Author's Homepage   Email KILLER B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White tailed deer will gore and attack wounded deer especialy during during the rut.
And come on with the sasquach story already!!!

--------------------
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Posts: 298 | From: SPARTA Tennessee | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©