Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Tusx Hunter
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Zan Christensen

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » York longbow?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: York longbow?
Fishers
Member # 22142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fishers   Email Fishers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here know anything about York longbows? I have an old one that my grandfather gave me years ago, which I've been messing around with in my basement. The logo on the front of the top limb says "YORK" with "FOR SPORT" in small letters underneath, and on the back (the side facing the target) there's a small gold emblem just above the grip that says "Manufactured by Woodcraft Equipment Co., Independence, MO." Pressed into the wood right under the York logo is "FB 56" with "50" under that. The 50 is the draw weight, according to my scale, but the bow is 67" long. It's not cut out for centershot, but has a wooden shelf fastened onto the left side just above the grip. It also has a small hole drilled in the top limb tip. It really stacks up fast as it approaches full draw, but it's kind of fun to shoot. Any info I can get will be appreciated.
Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamesh76
Contributor 2015
Member # 12931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamesh76   Author's Homepage   Email jamesh76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pictures speak a thousand words.

--------------------
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ __________________ _ _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Posts: 1307 | From: Spring Hill, Kansas | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FB56 stands for flat bow, 5 1/2' Generally they were 15# to 40# pull..and cost $600 in the 1942 York Archery catalog. These bows were made of lemonwood with walnut handle risers and tip overlays.
I bought an old lemonwood York Longbow at a flea market years ago. In 1989 I contacted York Archery about this bow. I received an envelop from Ed Law, sales manager of Woodcrafters Equipment Co and in the envelop Ed had sent a photo copy of a 1930 and 1942 York archery catalog. In a note from Ed he said that Woodcrafters had been making bows from 1923 until the mid 40's.
If that bow has been sitting idle for years you should reeducate it to bend before you stress it too much. Work it gradually over a period of time until you get to full draw. Otherwise you can cause un-fixable damage to it. I opted to use my old lemonwood bow as a wall hanger and to study on occasion to see how things were done back then. It has more value to me that way.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11423 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishers
Member # 22142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fishers   Email Fishers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of shots. Thanks for the help.

-

-

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SveinD
Contributor 2011
Member # 21557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SveinD   Author's Homepage   Email SveinD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I to would really enjoy seeing a picture of that bow!

--------------------
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 1254 | From: Norway | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishers
Member # 22142

Actually, I've already been shooting it, at full draw, for quite awhile now; so if something bad were going to happen it likely would have by now. I had no idea it was THAT old! Great info.
Bowmania
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowmania   Email Bowmania       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat B, Did you really me 600 bucks? I'd think back then 60 would probably have been expensive.

Bowmania

--------------------
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Posts: 945 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowmania
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowmania   Email Bowmania       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MEAN, MEAN, MEAN. Not me - mean. That's what I get for proof reading AFTER I hit add.

Bowmania

--------------------
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Posts: 945 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishers
Member # 22142

I was wondering that myself- $600 in 1940 would have been a HEAP of $$! Any ideas about the hole drilled through the upper limb tip?
Gray Buffalo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gray Buffalo   Author's Homepage   Email Gray Buffalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hole was for a string keeper

--------------------
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posts: 1702 | From: St. Peters, Missouri, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$6.00 I forgot the decimal point. The same bow with either black or white fiber (paper) backing was $7.50.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11423 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat B...is York Archery still in business?

Gray Buffalo...what can you tell me about York Archery?

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2614 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Rick, PM sent.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2614 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George D. Stout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George D. Stout   Email George D. Stout       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same bow as Ol' Buck, my lemonwood bow that is traveling about the country. That's an aftermarket rest someone installed, you normally just shoot off the knuckle. Here's a few photos of mine.

This is the buck I took with it in 1992.
 -

And while stump shooting.
 -

Posts: 5075 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©