Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trad Bowhunting & Wilderness Podcast
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Kelly

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Martin Savannah Longbow, is it good? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Martin Savannah Longbow, is it good?
Axis Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Axis Hunter   Email Axis Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's the story behind the Martin Savannah Longbow? I've heard that is an extremely nice shooting bow for the price but that was me just overhearing a few guys outside Cabelas and a few friends. Anybody shot one?

--------------------
Hunt,Fish,Love

Posts: 106 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric-thor
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric-thor   Email eric-thor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i have shot one and was impressed with the quality . though you can find a good custome for less. butt if you dont want to wait than the savanah is a very nice production bow.

--------------------
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Posts: 777 | From: LAKE CHARLES LOUISIANA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved mine!!! Do yourself a favor though and buy one used. I think Martin's "new" price is a little out there along with other big manufacturers making trad bows.
For the same amount of a new Savannah, you could have a VERY nice custom. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

St. Joe River Bows
Oliverstacey Strings
Swafford Knives
Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 4265 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avid Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avid Archer   Email Avid Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very nice used one can be had for $300-$350. Mine was 55@28 and would really zing an arrow, but did have a little hand shock.

If your going to buy new, for $500+, I would look elsewhere.

Posts: 1151 | From: Alvaton, Georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Savannah is a great bow. I shot one at the Western States Rondevous. The price is right up there with a full on custom. I can say it also looks like a custom bow and is hand made by bowyers who have been in the business for 30 + years. I have visited the Howatt Shop in Yakima and all the guys making those bows could be custom bowyers if they wanted to. Many of them have been working for Howatt and now Martin Archery for 30 years or more. Throw in a great warranty from Martin and it would be a great choice.

Having said all that, for a little more you can buy a full on custom but the waiting will drive you nuts.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apex Predator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apex Predator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome bow! I've owned a couple of different ones. Built by master craftsmen with decades of experience. I too think the new price is a little high, only because so many others are built just like it. Buy a used one for $300 and you have a great buy.

--------------------
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Posts: 3601 | From: Brunswick, Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Axis Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Axis Hunter   Email Axis Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have looked at the Savannah bow in Cabelas it was $529.99. Seemed pretty pricey for a production bow. Where would i be likely to find one used? I hav looked on this site but havnt found any, any ideas?

--------------------
Hunt,Fish,Love

Posts: 106 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inthere10x
Contributor 2014
Member # 7316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inthere10x   Email inthere10x   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are u set on just a Savannah, if not use the "Trad Gang Sponsor List" (top of the page), which will take u to thir we sites. Many of the bowyer listed have "in stock" bows. To name a few from the sponsor list w/ "in stock" bows; Bob Lee, Bruin Bows, Black Creek, Dryad Bows, Striker Bows, Dwyer Bows, JK Traditions, etc....
Have u check in the Classifed section? Buy a used bow and have custom bow built. I have found in buying then selling a used bow u can be close to breaking even, minus shipping.
If you want a custom made "For you" w/ your choose of woods, draw lenght, and weight, JK Traditions, Mohawk and Maddog (all of which I have) would be in the same price range as the Savannah. I sure other custom bows are also in that price range.
Maddog builds the "Mutt" which I heard good things about for $225. Probably my next bow.

Posts: 286 | From: Southeast, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inthere10x
Contributor 2014
Member # 7316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inthere10x   Email inthere10x   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing, I haven't shot the Savannah so I can't comment on the quailty of the bow.
Posts: 286 | From: Southeast, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Axis Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23498

to be truthful i'm kinda spoiled on bows. I hav a 64'' acs adcock. 64'' death ader. 60'' vypercon. 62'' bear bow, and a few others. But when i heard about this bow i was intrested because its cheaper than the others and apparently has close to the same quality. Im not set on just this bow but im more of trying to get more info before i go all the way to cabelas to try it out. im about 5hr away from nearest cabelas but i got to get some other stuff anyway....

--------------------
Hunt,Fish,Love

ScottV_7
Contributor 2011
Member # 16875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottV_7   Email ScottV_7   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad has one that I've shot quite a bit and it's pretty nice. He got it brand new on *bay for $385 I think so there are deals if you shop around.

--------------------
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"
Mikuta Recurve 62" 44#@28"
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Posts: 412 | From: Smithville Flats, New York | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottV_7
Contributor 2011
Member # 16875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottV_7   Email ScottV_7   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should note that I haven't shot very many longbows so I don't have much to compare the Savannah to.

--------------------
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"
Mikuta Recurve 62" 44#@28"
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Posts: 412 | From: Smithville Flats, New York | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Axis Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23498

Do you shoot mainly recurves?

--------------------
Hunt,Fish,Love

Axis Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23498

ttt

--------------------
Hunt,Fish,Love

richbat
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richbat   Email richbat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the savannah is a great bow,i had one for awhile,but like many others on here,wanted to try something else and ended up selling it.would i buy another? heck yes.

--------------------
Richard Battistoni

Posts: 948 | From: barto,pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©