Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trad Bowhunting & Wilderness Podcast
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Kelly

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 2 Piece Longbow (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2 Piece Longbow
Darren
Contributor 2014
Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darren   Author's Homepage   Email Darren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
look at a cari-bow wolverine in the 2pc, you will never know it is a 2pc bow.

www.caribow.com

Good Luck

Darren

--------------------
"Life is hard; it's harder if your stupid."

Posts: 352 | From: Lorette,Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Cari bow Peregrine and volwerine are really great 2 piece TD hybrid bows. And hybrid design gives a lot more performance than strait or light R/D one.
On the Right this is a TD peregrine close to 3 piece TD other bowyers hybrid bows
 -

-

-

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 364 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Turner
Contributor 2015
Member # 2264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Turner   Email Bill Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I much prefer two piece over three, but that is my personal opinion. Just took possession of a two piece TD, HH "RedMan" 53@28, 64" long. This bow shoots like a dream at my 27 and 3/4" draw. This brings me to my recommendation. Try to shoot before buying, but if you cannot, at least talk with a few bowyers before buying. Your draw length will go a long way in determing what length bow you need to buy.I would not want a HH bow at less than 64" considering my draw length, but I have a 62" R/D Massie "Longhorn" TD that shoots just fine. Go figure. Good luck in your quest. The journey is well woth the effort. [dunno]
Posts: 3398 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Techie
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
I much prefer two piece over three, but that is my personal opinion. ....

i'm with ya on that - 3pc just don't look like a longbow.

--------------------
"Molon Labe" ~ Instinctive Archer Magazine ~ NRA Life Member ~ TANJ ~ TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 9428 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the locket socket quite a bit by Widow,Cari-bow and Big Jim.very solid,no tools and does not flop around when unstrung.The 2 piece sleeve is nice on the Royal by Wallace and Fox and can be made with a locator grip.Those 2 bows will have more mass weight in the riser than other designs if you like that with the steel and brass hardware.

The 2 piece thunderhorn is awesome and crafted with precise tolerances and an amazing fit.Its expensive though.

I got a 2 piece all phenolic riser with the bow bolt right now thats working out well.Its a 7 eyes thats very simlar to a Shrew classic hunter but 60 inches long.Chad at holm made makes a 2 piece all phenolic riser bow bolt Osprey thats bound to be a great bow for a good price.

I also love the GN Jacknife TD system.That on the Critter Gitter,Fireball or Bushbow would make a fine TD longbow type bow for you.

Posts: 4559 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highpoint forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highpoint forge   Author's Homepage   Email highpoint forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Widow PLX, but I'm biased!

--------------------
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Posts: 1207 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Dill
Contributor 2015
Member # 3560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Dill   Email Kevin Dill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind: The heavily reflexed "hybrid" bows sacrifice some of the easy-travel characteristics of a straighter longbow. I have some reflexed longbows...so I know. You can't just slide some of these limbs into a slender tube for travel. They must be packed more like a recurve for airline travel. It's likely a minor point, but one to be aware of.

I happen to like the 2 piece bows that have reflex, but not in the extreme. I want them to look like a longbow (or close) when strung. The real wild hybrids do not appeal to me. I'm an either-or kind of recurve-longbow guy. It's undeniable that as some longbows look more like recurves, they tend to act and shoot more like recurves. My personal advice is to figure out what attracts you to longbows and then hang on to that as you search for your ideal weapon.

The grip on a longbow will likely have a tremendous bearing on how well you like and shoot the bow...so spend the time to handle and shoot more than one.

Posts: 1148 | From: OH - Buckeye Country | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curveman
Contributor 2007
Member # 2572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curveman   Email Curveman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
I much prefer two piece over three, but that is my personal opinion. ....

i'm with ya on that - 3pc just don't look like a longbow.
Ditto!

--------------------
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1982 | From: Chelmsford, MA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curveman
Contributor 2007
Member # 2572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curveman   Email Curveman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Keep in mind: The heavily reflexed "hybrid" bows sacrifice some of the easy-travel characteristics of a straighter longbow. I have some reflexed longbows...so I know. You can't just slide some of these limbs into a slender tube for travel. They must be packed more like a recurve for airline travel. It's likely a minor point, but one to be aware of.

I happen to like the 2 piece bows that have reflex, but not in the extreme. I want them to look like a longbow (or close) when strung. The real wild hybrids do not appeal to me. I'm an either-or kind of recurve-longbow guy. It's undeniable that as some longbows look more like recurves, they tend to act and shoot more like recurves. My personal advice is to figure out what attracts you to longbows and then hang on to that as you search for your ideal weapon.

The grip on a longbow will likely have a tremendous bearing on how well you like and shoot the bow...so spend the time to handle and shoot more than one.

Ditto. I like the "traditional grip" as well. Hybrids shoot well but many are recurves to me for all intents and purposes-or at least miss on the reasons I wanted to shoot a longbow in the first place. I like the Border GL, sleeve two piece as my favorite so far. Just a little R/D to take the shock out but skinny and light and "D" shaped! [Wink] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1982 | From: Chelmsford, MA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunterbob
Contributor 2014
Member # 13104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunterbob   Author's Homepage   Email hunterbob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always shot one peice bows and love them.but I picked up a Big Jim buffalo longbow that is two peice and it is rock solid and shoots just like a one peice.and like said above when put together you can't even tell its a two peice.

--------------------
robert quetot

Posts: 918 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fletcher
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fletcher   Email Fletcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My choice would be a Robertson or Great Northern. They are my favorite one piece bows and their T/D systems are solid. Proven designs and great folks to boot. Fox would be another good choice, IMO.

Rick

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

When it comes to shooting well, the arrow is more important than the bow.

Posts: 4995 | From: Rochester, IL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©