Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trad Bowhunting & Wilderness Podcast
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Kelly

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » I hate Coyotes! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: I hate Coyotes!
SveinD
Contributor 2011
Member # 21557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SveinD   Author's Homepage   Email SveinD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elksong:
Coyotes are cool. They'll be here long after we are gone. Total surviors. As far as them getting your deer, if you want to be a part of nature you have to deal with the out come when nature takes is course.
Before you throw out the anti hunter statements, I have shot truck loads of coyotes, I just respect them for what they are.

I agree with elksong here..
The Coyote was created like that, and cannot change their ways like us humans.
They do not deserve less respect or ethical treatment than any other animal in my opinion, even though their numbers may need controlling.

Sorry you lost your deer though [Smile]

--------------------
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 1254 | From: Norway | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SEMO_HUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMO_HUNTER   Email SEMO_HUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
quote:
Originally posted by John Scifres:
No offense bud but I think you might be ignoring the obvious. Make a better shot next time. Or learn to track better. Yotes are just doing what they do. Hate is a very strong emotion. If you're counting on deer to feed your crew, you might take up the more efficient firearm. Shoot them in the shoulder.

".....Make a better shot next time. Or learn to track better......".

Dang, John, kinda harsh there don't ya think? I guess you've never made a marginal shot on game or had trouble recovering an animal before? If so, I would say you are one of the few.

I thought that was a bit too much myself. Just because your thinking it, doesn't mean you have to rub salt in an already open wound Jon.

The man just lost a deer and for the rare few out there that have never had it happen to them......this comment has nothing to do with you.

If you bowhunt long enough it's going to happen sooner or later, then you too can join the ranks of other bowhunters who have been humbled by a bad shot. It's not a good place to be and I'm sure he feels super bad about it.
That may also lead to some of the hate he feels about the coyotes getting a deer that he could have otherwise recovered in the morning.
Chances are that if it was cold enough that night the meat would have been fine.

Don't pretend for a second that there's not plenty of guys out there that wouldn't have done the same and left the deer overnight rather than jump it out of it's death bed.

With all that said, I don't hate coyotes for being the hard core survivors that they are. They could adapt and do adapt to any environment on the planet, I can't help but admire that.

On the other hand, I love to eat rabbits, deer, and turkey so the fewer coyotes there are......more wild game for my freezer.

I stopped killing rabbits on my place for over 4 years because the coyotes nearly wiped them out, so I started killing the coyotes. Now I have rabbits again and still have coyotes, just a few less than before.
I really enjoy hunting them too, I won't pretend that I don't......I just don't want as many as I have around here at the moment. I would be a bit disappointed if there weren't any at all because they do serve as nature's clean up crew and they are highly efficient at it.

I completely agree that we shouldn't hate an animal for doing what it was put here by the Creator to do, that's their purpose.
Although they must be controlled like everything else or eventually you'll find yourself eating tag soup more often than you can stomach.

--------------------
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Posts: 3032 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChristopherO
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChristopherO   Author's Homepage   Email ChristopherO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the record fox kits and coyote pups don't look alike. Coyote pups look like this:

-
I was brought these last year from someone who knows I am a predator hunter. I couldn't keep them, though, as the rules of my nuscense trapping permit won't allow keeping coyotes in captivity. They had to be euthanized. The state does not want these wild dogs to be transplanted anywhere. They sure looked just like the domestic dog pups we've raised, though, but they were coyote pups.

This is the last coyote I had a close encounter with. At times the pack needs to be put on their better behavior.
 -

Posts: 903 | From: Ohio | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slayer1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slayer1   Email slayer1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
I have heard the DNR rumor also. I think they have been spreading this way for years. When I was young, it was a rare occurance to see a deer track in our County. Now, it hard to drive to work without almost hitting one. One rumor that I think is pretty credible is that fox hunters released them. Fox hunting with dogs used to be popular in the mountains. I heard it is hard to tell fox pups from coyote pups. Maybe it is just another rumor.

I guess its just a rumor. I heard it at a NCBA meeting a few years ago. As far as the comments on my shooting ability/tracking ability I really take offense to that. I have been hunting with trad gear a long time and have always felt it was better to give an animal time rather than push it., just seems the yotes don't allow that anymore.

PS - if anyone wants to shoot for $ I am game anytime. Just send me a PM!

Posts: 1596 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fritz
Contributor 2010
Member # 2879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fritz   Email Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost the back end of a doe I shot this yr. as well. I don't hate them, but I definitely will drill one if given the oppurtunity. I also have no problem letting a deer go overnight if the weather permits and I think its necessary. If the yotes find em first, that's just part of rolling the dice.

--------------------
God is good, all the time!!!

Posts: 1301 | From: Merryville,LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy Cooper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy Cooper   Email Andy Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for your loss, Slayer!

--------------------
[campfire] TGMM Family of the Bow [archer]

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Posts: 1104 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ti-guy
Contributor 2011
Member # 20125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ti-guy   Email ti-guy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Predator competition!!

--------------------
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Posts: 1769 | From: Lac St-Paul,Qc,Canada | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never lost a deer to coyotes but in the last few years the numbers around here have increased. On a walk down our driveway the other morning we noticed this scene in the fresh snow. Looked like a doe was taken down by coyotes. The scene was in a relatively small area without much hair and blood scattered all around like you would think. I took these first pics with our dig camera then I put a trail cam on the kill. The disassembly process and the culprits involved is quite interesting.
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11323 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doug77
Contributor 2014
Member # 11884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doug77   Email doug77   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost a doe this year also, my first deer lost to yotes in 25 plus years bow hunting. Shot her at sunset waited bout 20 munites to get down and found out the batteries were dead on my flashlight spent 1 hour going to town for new batteries and found the deer less than 2 hours after the shot and their was NOTHING left of her.
It was a perftic double lung shot and she was only 80 yards from my stand when I found her.

doug77

Posts: 2637 | From: SE iowa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Night Stalker
Contributor 2014
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Night Stalker   Author's Homepage   Email The Night Stalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slayer, I lost a deer last year to coyotes. I shot her late and their was snow on the ground so I figured I would just come back in the morning at daybreak. They found the deer and ate the hams. I salvaged what I could then took the carcass as bait. I got the guilty party or their relatives. What county in NC do you live in.

--------------------
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills!

Posts: 992 | From: Ashe County, NC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobman   Email bobman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my observation is as deer populations exploded throughout the nation their predators population just followed I dont think anyone officially stocked them

without coyotes wolves and lions deer would be slow fat and stupid predators are what keeps things wild

Posts: 203 | From: Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsc
Member # 23267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsc   Email dsc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in nw pa we are starting or having a prob. with them.have herd about peaple killing them with ear tags but never saw it myself.the dog hunters around here kill a hugh number per year but they seam to be growing in numbers.the more you kill the more they breed.lost an 8 point to them this year myself.
Posts: 37 | From: pa. | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slayer1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slayer1   Email slayer1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
Slayer, I lost a deer last year to coyotes. I shot her late and their was snow on the ground so I figured I would just come back in the morning at daybreak. They found the deer and ate the hams. I salvaged what I could then took the carcass as bait. I got the guilty party or their relatives. What county in NC do you live in.

I am in Alamance county, but I hunt in Guilford, Orange and Alamance. I have seen more Yote evidence this year than I ever have before?
Posts: 1596 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SEMO_HUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMO_HUNTER   Email SEMO_HUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My older brother had a predator of "different sorts" a couple of years ago on a bowshot doe. He also shot it right at dark and wasn't sure about the hit so he marked the spot and left it till morning. When he returned the next morning he tracked the doe less than 100 yards from the spot where he shot it, but the deer had been dragged a little ways and covered up entirely by leaves. Nothing was really eaten off of it just some chew marks and bite marks, but he said you couldn't see any part of the deer exposed and it just looked like a big mound of leaves piled up.

Cats are the only animals I know of that cover their food with leaves, coyotes on the other hand in my experience will only try to bury pieces of it to save for later.

So we were sure it was a cat, but we just don't know how big? He said it was about an 80lb. doe so I assume it would take a fair sized cat to drag it any distance away from where it died.
Looking back on it, we should have put a trail cam on the carcass and left it there to capture whatever came back to recover it's meal.

--------------------
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Posts: 3032 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adeeden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adeeden   Email adeeden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lost part of deer to coyotes on a couple occasions. There not really hunted around here and thick in most areas. I do spend the late winter seasons trapping and snaring them to help keep them from getting crazy over populated. It seems much more effective then hunting them.

--------------------
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Posts: 1902 | From: Georgetown, IL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©