Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Swafford Knives
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Benjamin Epting

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Saxon Bows/ Randy Dehnel (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Saxon Bows/ Randy Dehnel
Lamey
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 21352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lamey   Author's Homepage   Email Lamey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally see Saxon bows, made by Randy Dehnel (sp?), for sale and on the big auction site. They are very good looking bows, a few little touches that I really like.

He made a "Selkirk" recurve that is one of the better looking 50's style recurves out there. I also really liked the "American" Longbow, which was a very simple, clean, classic mildly r/d longbow.

My question for you that have been around is this, is Randy currently making bows or have plans on getting back into making them?

Also any experience you have with his work would be appreciated. Im looking at a couple on the auction site now.

Posts: 2238 | From: Jasper, AL | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stickbow
Contributor 2013
Member # 751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stickbow   Email Stickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That name is a blast from the past.
I used to see him at shoots years ago. Havent seen or heard of him in a long time.

Posts: 293 | From: N. Idaho | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee Robinson .
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Robinson .   Author's Homepage   Email Lee Robinson .   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a longbow guy myself, but I found his line of American series recurves to perform excellent. They always felt real stable, were easy to tune, and were very quiet. I think those bows were some of the absolute best values on the market, and today when I see them for sale they are often just as expensive used as they were new. I didn't like his longbows as much as his recurves though to be honest. The craftsmanship was of course good, but I thought his American series recurve was simply a better bow.

--------------------
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Posts: 892 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater 2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tater 2   Email Tater 2       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a dealer for Randy's bows for a couple of years, when I had a small Trad shop.

He is an excellent bowyer and person. His signature line of Saxon "Hawk" bows be they recurve or longbow are exceptional. They shoot as good as they look. The other models the "American" or "Selkirk" are also solid preformers well made,and dependable.

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Posts: 428 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamey
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 21352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lamey   Author's Homepage   Email Lamey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks fellas, figured I would get some good info. Looking forward to eventually owning one.
Posts: 2238 | From: Jasper, AL | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flinttim
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flinttim   Email Flinttim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy's website
http://www.saxonarchery.com
I have one of his longbows right now and had a Kadiak Recurve for a while. Can't say enough about his bows. Great.

--------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Posts: 1403 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixby
SPONSOR
Member # 14586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sixby   Email Sixby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have owned about every bow made at one time or another except for some of the newer bowyers. Randys bows are one of the top three in my mind for just a great bow at a decent price. I rate them right with my beloved Sentmans and Robertsons. They are light, solid and graceful,. Shoot like the wind and are smooth in every aspect. Not pretty, not fancy but a great bow non the less. God Bless you, Steve

--------------------
http://eaglewingarchery.i8.com/
EAGLEWING ARCHERY

Posts: 2733 | From: Medford, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Turner
Contributor 2014
Member # 2264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Turner   Email Bill Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I owned a Saxon American made by Randy. Great bow, that I sold to another TradGang member. Last I heard, Randy had put bow-building aside, and moved home to care for his ailing parents. Also heard that he was going to try to get back into bow building sometime in the future. Maybe the future is now. Hope so, he built a good bow at a competitive price.
Posts: 3314 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moooseran
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moooseran   Author's Homepage   Email Moooseran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first custom bow is the Saxon Signature Hawk I bought back in 1998. Best looking bow then and now. Limbs are Black locust on the back and Osage on the front or maybe the other way around. When I bought the bow Randy said it had a $100.00 of "Pretty"in it...............
Posts: 283 | From: Whiting, Indiana | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradlongbow   Email tradlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy's business was doing excellent for many years. When I talked to him last year he told me that he was moving to Washington to help his parents. His hawk was the top of the line bow, then it was the mongoose longbow or the selkirk recurve, then it was the American model. The America model was sold In cabelas catalog at one time. His bows or absolutely beautiful, a great bowyer. Darren

--------------------
Darren

tradlongbow@yahoo.com

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" 53@27.5",

Posts: 1270 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamey
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 21352

I sure wish him and his family well, and hope he can get back to bow building if he chooses.

I really like the simpler lines and construction method of the American longbow over the more expensive models.

And while I swore off recurves, Ide sure like to find the right Selkirk.

Mudd
Contributor 2014
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm!! Dang it, now here's another bow that I haven't tried.... yet!!!!!....lol

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 11309 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRY309
Contributor 2014
Member # 1191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRY309   Email JRY309   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a couple of Saxon American longbows,great shootin bow,excellent workmanship and smooth shooting bows.Wish I still had one of them!
Posts: 5618 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loneviking
Member # 27377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loneviking   Email loneviking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if anybody is really interested, there's a Saxon Mongoose up for sale on everybodys' favorite auction site. Has a price of only $275 on it and nine hours to go.
Posts: 46 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tajue17
Contributor 2014
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I seen that goose and why its not gone with a nice draw weight like that is beyond my reign of thinking..

as for Randy I met him a few times and shot with him a few times and I owned maybe 6-8 of his bows and people above are right that you will not go wrong with a saxon,, Randy ground his own lams on some homemade lam grinder I remember that did a awesome job. his Hawks where among the best out there and he had a guy making a special T/D sleeve for his hawks so it would keep the original grip shape but something happened with the sleeve maker and then that guy wasn't doing it anymore and nobody would make them because they where shaped wierd (like a fatter mongolian grip) so he couldn't make the hawks in T/D anymore which is what I (and alot of other folks wanter) wanted so I got something else..

for those of you who didn't know Randy made the Le Clair Shrews too at first and when someone else started doing it which I think was John who makes the griffen Randy started making his own version called the "Shrike" which was just as nice as Rons except the grip wasn't that unique shrew grip Ron LeClair is also famous for...

I do think Randy is still making bows but only for 1 dealer (maybe some others) located here www.oldbow.com if you call the number on that website and ask for Zan or Eric they will know exactly whats happening with Randy and his bows and they have many that are brandnew on the rack right now.

--------------------
JD Berry Vixen

Posts: 1977 | From: Plymouth, Mass | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©