3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Hog Heaven June 17-19 2011 is on! (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Hog Heaven June 17-19 2011 is on!
Stone Knife
Contributor 2015
Member # 10014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stone Knife   Email Stone Knife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck [archer2]

--------------------
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Posts: 6960 | From: silversprings ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petertschantz
Contributor 2011
Member # 29516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petertschantz   Email petertschantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we had a great hunt, details to follow

--------------------
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Posts: 257 | From: Clover, SC | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bel007
2017 Contributor
Member # 21385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bel007   Email Bel007   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Posts: 1517 | From: Marion Illinois | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by petertschantz:
we had a great hunt, details to follow

Well, come on. Fill us in. We are all patiently waiting to hear about this one.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5343 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petertschantz
Contributor 2011
Member # 29516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petertschantz   Email petertschantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here are the details. I'm going to let the other guys recap their stories, but here is mine:

For those that just want the box score, I saw 8 hogs, missed one and didn't kill any. I had a great time!

Now for anyone who wants the details:

We met at the hardware store in Estill, SC at around 9am Friday so the out of state guys could get licenses. Ray showed up a little after we did and we headed out to the camp. We all got our gear unpacked, had a bite of lunch, then got the welcome briefing from Ray and settled up our balances. After shooting a bit to get loosened up from the drives we hit the woods.

We headed out for the first hunt about 12:30 Friday afternoon. It was hot (HOT) in the swamp, but I saw lots of hog sign right off the bat so I didn't mind the heat as much. I slipped through a section of woods without seeing anything, then stopped back at the Jeep for a Gatorade and a cool down.

Next I headed in a different direction in the swamp, and eventually found a nice wallow. I was glassing around from near the wallow when I saw movement through the brush about 50 yards out. Two piglets were moving so I headed that way as quietly as possible. After moving about 20 yards, I saw a good sized hog (sow I'm guessing) moving in the same direction the piglets had been going. I had to detour around a large blowdown, and by the time I cleared it the hog had moved out of sight. I moved in the direction the hogs had been going for a while more, but never spotted them again. So I headed back to camp for water and a serious cool down.

After leaving, I headed down another road to a small lake which has a feeder in a near by food plot. As I slipped in toward the plot, I could see a couple small pigs running around. By the time I got close they had left. I slipped on up to the edge of the tree line, and saw 3 50-60lb (guessing) hogs moving toward me. I got a broadside shot at one of them but focused on the hole in the brush I had to shoot through not the pig. Missed about 4 inches low and 3 inches back of where I wanted to put it, the arrow missed cleanly just under the pigs belly and right behind the front legs...

I moved on through the swamp, stopping and glassing but didn't see any more hogs.

I hunted hard Saturday until about 3:30pm, then I just ran out of steam and my knee was killing me. Hit it hard again this morning with no more luck.

In all I saw 8 pigs, 3 deer, 3 armadillos and 2 raccoons. It was a great hunt, and I'd love to go back some day but not in the summer!

Lessons learned: I still have work do on shooting of course. I need a shorter bow for hunting in stuff that thick - the 70" Hill was just too long. Two of the other guys had Two Tracks Ambush bows, and the 50" sure make a lot more sense to me now!

Pete

--------------------
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Posts: 257 | From: Clover, SC | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great story. You got to go hunting, that's better than I did this weekend. I had to work to pay for my St. Judes hunt. Glad you had a good time.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5343 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bartcanoe
Contributor 2014
Member # 18045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bartcanoe   Email bartcanoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a good time, and your story just fuels my desire to get down there.

Hopefully, I can make it in the fall. Maybe, you can try again then when its a little cooler.

Dave

--------------------
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Posts: 369 | From: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petertschantz
Contributor 2011
Member # 29516

Dave, sure hope you can get down there. My next trip down will surely be in the Fall or spring!

--------------------
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Rick Butler
Contributor 2018
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Doug made the comment this weekend this was the toughest hunt we've been on due to the heat, but it was also one of the best.
Friday afternoon I started out in the swamp and found alot of sign but no pork. I headed up into the pines cause on my last 2 trips to HH that's where I found hogs. The heat was worse than down in the swamp and I started to push it, going a little faster than I should have.

At one point I stopped for a bit and heard something coming up behind me. Sure enough I had 3 hogs heading in my direction. They were moving thru the cane and all I got were glimpses of them but 2 were jet black and the third was grey. I got an arrow on the string and made ready, their direction of travel at that point would take them into an open area were I might be able to get a shot, they were all within 12-15 yards.
I eased back a bit and waited for the first one but just as it came up to the open area it turned and stayed hidden in the cane, the other 2 followed suit and they started moving away from my position. As they did the wind shifted and I felt it hit the back of my neck. That was all she wrote for day one.

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2318 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Butler
Contributor 2018
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saturday morning found my son Sean and I down in the swamp again where he had gotten into some pigs the night before, but I'll let him tell this part of the story...

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2318 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petertschantz
Contributor 2011
Member # 29516

Rick it was great meeting and hunting with you and Sean! Hope to share a camp with you again some day.

Pete

--------------------
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Sean Butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean Butler   Email Sean Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok the quick stats for those pressed for time:
Total Hogs spotted: 31
Number of Stalks made: 4
Total times with in bow range: 3
Total shots taken: 0
Total water consumed: I lost track after the first camel pak was emptied!

Pete nailed down our arrival pretty well, so I’ll skip to the hunt. Friday afternoon I went down in the swamp looking for any cool wet dirt the hogs might be in. Ray had suggested this is where they would be if we went out in the afternoon, and after about 45 minutes of quiet walking, I spotted a piglett! I watched for a moment and saw there were quite a few pigs in this group. There was a small but really pretty all red pig, a 50 pound black pig, and a 60 pound black with white spots pig. The pigs heard me coming toward them and started moving west. I went right along side of them and finally got ahead hoping to pull off a “H-ambush”. I was only 20 yards from the hogs when I saw the little red head, who was leading the heard, begin to break cover. Her head poked out and she made a noise like “PHEWW” “PHEWW”. Before I could see anything else they were gone. I tried to follow but soon find myself a bit lost and running low on water. I went out later that night, and found what I thought was a solitary hog, but as I tried to stalk up on it I saw it was part of larger pack. I was busted in a few minutes and they were gone. Later I came across an eight foot alligator. That really put me on the look out as I wandered the empty swamp bottoms.

The next morning Ray said it might be advantageous to hunt in pairs. My dad and I headed into the swamp where I had been so lucky to put on a good stalk. As we wandered about and enjoyed the scenery I saw the tail and hind legs of a hog about 40 yards in front of us. The problem was dad had his back to me and I couldn’t signal him to point out my discovery. After a lot of frantic waving and finger snapping my dad looked and I motioned a head of us. As he glassed the heard, I slipped between trees, and ducked behind the cane and palmetto. I was on the second successful stalk of my life, the first being yesterday, and I was soon right in the thick of the heard. I looked them over trying to pick out biggest, they were between the 40 and 50 pound range. I hesitated, despite being within 15 yards of most of the pigs. The day before the larger hogs were always at the rear of the smaller ones, and I was really holding out for a bigger one. My dad eased up for a shot but the arrow fell short. The hogs didn’t seem to mind and went on eating. The slight breeze shifted and they were gone.

As we waited for the pigs to settle down so we could follow, my dad spotted another pig. I stalked up to with in eight yards but it was a really small hog. 20 pounds, maybe. I never got the opportunity to get near the others as this little guy just wouldn’t turn away from me while he ate.

Sunday was a quiet morning, I saw a turkey, but not much else. Still It was great day in the woods, we walked out to the Savannah river, saw the biggest spider of my life, and gave my clothes one last soaking of sweat before we had to go home.

I can’t wait to go back to Hog Heaven, but I think I’ll stick with the cooler weather months. One thing is for sure if it’s hogs you’re after, there is no shortage of them in Ray’s neck of the woods.

--------------------
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Posts: 121 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean Butler   Email Sean Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to add the pics here's a few of my favorites

-

-

I'll try to post more pics when photo bucket will work properly

--------------------
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Posts: 121 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petertschantz
Contributor 2011
Member # 29516

Still waiting to hear from Thom and 'The Glide'!

--------------------
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Rick Butler
Contributor 2018
Member # 7393

Pete, you too! We're figuring out dates for next spring, maybe you can join us.
Rick

--------------------
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©