Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Izzy!

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » After you track the Deer what do you do 1st? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: After you track the Deer what do you do 1st?
rluttrell
Contributor 2014
Member # 33497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rluttrell   Email rluttrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, not only am I a new person to archery but I am even newer to hunting. I don’t think I will have a problem letting the arrow go. I just don’t have a clue to what happens after the tracking. My concern is that they might be over an hour away from me.
I talked to a gentleman nameed Mike at my local archery club that is a hunter and he has offered to take me out with his group.
I like to be prepared on what to do after the finding the deer. I don’t have a clue to what to do or what is done after i get to the deer.Could someone recommend a good book or maybe a video?

I know I will need a bow, arrows and have the clothes but what else should I have? I know I could ask Mike but would like to also ask the guys here.
Thank you for your time.
Robert

I should of stated i am going to go out with Mike, my 1st time I just wanted to have a clue and know this is the right place to get it.

--------------------
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Posts: 446 | From: Simi Valley, Ca | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest googling how to field dress your deer. There is a lot of information on the web on this. Remember to fill out you game tag and attach it to the carcass before moving it.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 3960 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manitoba Stickflinger
SPONSOR
Member # 18657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manitoba Stickflinger   Author's Homepage   Email Manitoba Stickflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1st thing I do is pray (but I am one of those Jesus people)

The next thing I do is soak it up...really! Don't worry about what is next but rather just enjoy the moment. Spend some time with the the gift you just received...it's a special time!

Next I pull out the camera (If you want to photograph it) and begin taking pix and cleaning up the animal.(wiping up blood, tucking it's tongue back in, etc.) Don't even think of pulling out your knife if you want quality pictures.

The rest of the steps you can google on the net but these are the ones that you may not find there and regret not doing. Best luck afield...Ryan

--------------------
http://stickflingers.com/

Posts: 1665 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
30pointbuck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30pointbuck   Email 30pointbuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After you locate the deer, the first time you touch it should be putting on the tag making it legal. Then you need a good sharp knife for gutting. Agood strong rope for dragging or a cart for hauling it out. (ATV)

--------------------
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Posts: 772 | From: KANSAS-BIG BUCK COUNTRY. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrow30
Contributor 2014
Member # 22657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrow30   Email arrow30   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pics #1
gutt it#2
get it out#3
get it cooled#4
age or butcher it#5
taxidermist #6 actually cape it before #5

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~DON'T SECOND GUESS YOUR INSTINCT~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 1686 | From: st. louis county , missouri | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
Contributor 2014
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing you should do is tag the animal. Make sure everything is legal. After that you can field dress, pictures, etc.

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 398 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrow30
Contributor 2014
Member # 22657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrow30   Email arrow30   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, ya do that.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~DON'T SECOND GUESS YOUR INSTINCT~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 1686 | From: st. louis county , missouri | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2014
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tag it, take pics, and throw it in the truck
Posts: 3042 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iaduckhntr
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iaduckhntr   Email iaduckhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to add something to add to the top of the list; First thing is make sure the animal IS DEAD! Taint no fun to have one start moving as you grab it or start to gut it out!!!
Dennis

--------------------
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle

Posts: 28 | From: Iowa west coast | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jhg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jhg   Email jhg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always have a 8 foot long piece of para cord on your belt to tie back the hind leg when you dress them out.

I always take a moment. And I always try to be careful in how I handle the deer. I don't make a big deal about it and anyone there wouldn't even know- I don't light candles or form a peace circle -I just try to be respectful getting it out even when hefting it around.

Joshua

--------------------
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Posts: 1184 | From: colorado | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nontypical
Contributor 2012
Member # 3863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nontypical   Email nontypical   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call my buddy on the radio and Whoop & Holler!! [Razz] Then tag,pics,gut,and by then my buds there and hold his bow while he drags [biglaugh]

--------------------
BLACK WIDOWS
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS
AINT NOTHIN BETTER

Posts: 622 | From: Roaming the Wilds of NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illwhttail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 27226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwhttail   Email illwhttail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Track,find,look at shot placement,field dress, tag, take home,butcher, eat back strap, sleep,get up, hunt again.
Posts: 168 | From: riverton, illinois | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnnyWayne
Contributor 2014
Member # 29314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnnyWayne   Email JohnnyWayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut out the heart and drink some blood, thus completing the circle and forming the bond....

...just kidding, do what those other guys said and good luck to yah man [Smile]

--------------------
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 1232 | From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
Contributor 2014
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just poked through my modest library and the single best book on bowhunting and field dressing was "Bowhunting for Deer" by H. R. Wambold (Stockpole Books, 1964). LONG out of print but maybe you could find it on the web.

Here's a link to several used ones from $4.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000K5SH32/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

--------------------
Charlie P. ~~ _/)~~ A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 3 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 2 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 3380 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my check list..

1 give thanks
2 take photos
3 field dress it. I bought a video how to field dress a deer in about one minute.
4 go back to the truck and get the game cart.
5 grunt my deer back to the truck.
then
6 get it in a tree and skin and bag it ASAP.
7 get to the meat guy ASAP.

If it is an elk I substitute, gutsless bone out the meat, for field dressing....

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
black widow 60" PCH 55#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 3132 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©