Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Izzy!

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship- (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Share a "simple" tip on hunting/woodsmanship-
SheltonCreeker
Contributor 2014
Member # 31787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheltonCreeker   Email SheltonCreeker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop every few feet. Humans are the only thing in the woods that just blunder thro.

--------------------
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 877 | From: Dahlgren Illinois | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squirrel Bait
SPONSOR
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squirrel Bait   Email Squirrel Bait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When that little voice in your head says something, try listening to it ! its right most of the time!

--------------------
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Posts: 965 | From: Winder,Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen more than you talk or make noise.

Sit longer than you walk.

The longer you observe the woods the better woodsman you will be.

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6605 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuckyT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuckyT   Email BuckyT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While in the stand, investigate and pinpoint the cause of every noise you hear in the woods.

You might be surprised that a 200lb buck can sound like a chipmunk rummaging through the leaves.

Posts: 102 | From: GA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
straitera
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straitera   Email straitera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread Mike. You're reading my mail. Found my 12 point deep in the woods around midnight. After dressing, we got lost coming out & drug that deer for miles the wrong way. How can you lose the same bloodtrail you followed in? No compass. Lesson learned.

--------------------
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Posts: 4639 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emac396
Contributor 2014
Member # 34377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emac396   Email emac396   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by graybarkhunter:
never look a deer in the eyes...

I believe this 100%
Posts: 219 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use your binos! The advantage of eyesight, smell, and hearing go to the animal so this advantage is....well...an advantage :-)

Plus it forces you to slow down and look.

--------------------
"The Hill style of shooting is quite simple, but it is exacting." - John Schulz
>>>--------->

Posts: 480 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archie
Contributor 2014
Member # 13795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie   Email Archie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good thread. Please chime in, as your little tips could save someone else an injury, death, or even 10 years' worth of blundering.

I try to think never to place something where it shouldn't be forgotten. I NEVER set my bow down behind my car. I never even set a broadhead in a place where a child could get ahold of it, or where it could hurt someone. Not even for a moment. I got a Bodkin through my knee at 13 years old, and the scar helps me to remember! I set things only in places where I could find them if I forget them. Knife, cell phone, keys, etc.

Archie

--------------------
"The problem with quotes and other information obtained on the internet is that it is difficult to determine whether that information is genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

66" Black Widow PLX 48# @ 31"
64" Black Widow PMA3 49#, 56#, & 68# @ 31"

Posts: 1295 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenny Henderson
Member # 16841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenny Henderson   Email Kenny Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not eat "yellow snow"
Posts: 52 | From: Boonville Indiana | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
USN_Sam1385
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 27556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for USN_Sam1385   Email USN_Sam1385   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prepare as much around your stand as possible weeks prior to walking in.

Get your tow up rope ready, get the stand hung, etc. Do as much as you can particularly in the early season to avoid sweating and bumbling around in the wee morning hours darkness.

--------------------
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit”

Morrison Dakota 62" Longbow 52# @ 28"

1964 Bear Grizzly 60" Recurve 46# @ 28"

Posts: 579 | From: Eastern Missouri | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfire
Contributor 2012
Member # 21157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfire   Email misfire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget your rope...

Yep, more than once.

--------------------
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Posts: 604 | From: Central Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Allen
Contributor 2014
Member # 17558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Whitetails, don't skyline your body. the cover behind you, is maybe more important than the cover in front.

When you shoot a deer, take your compass and mark
the spot of impact, the last spot you saw the deer,
the last place you hear the deer. Use these three to decide the direction of travel the deer took.

Keep your compass in your left hand when in the woods.

Hunting with a stickbow will make you a better hunter. Dang, it has made me a much better predator.

Hunt an isolated feed tree.

Scout for acorns with good binos.

Keep a written log.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
NGT, TBG, SGTP & Compton's
Ye Olde Fartes & Sore Losers

Posts: 428 | From: Powder Springs, Ga | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtpops
Contributor 2013
Member # 7254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtpops   Email wtpops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your hunting through the woods with a partner, DONT TALK or whisle

Think im going to get a compass, ive always banked on my GPS but ya never know, one of these days....

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Nothing on God's earth has a price so dear and profound as Freedom.
Nothing on God's earth is worth such a price but Freedom.

Posts: 2576 | From: Siloam Springs, AR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye Trad Hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye Trad Hunter   Email Buckeye Trad Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any time you have to pee you will see whatever game animal you're hunting for as soon as you get right in the middle of doing your business. I swear I think they hide and watch then jump out and laugh at you.
Posts: 1155 | From: Richmond Dale, Oh | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSHOOTER
Contributor 2014
Member # 8515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSHOOTER   Author's Homepage   Email TSHOOTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pay attention to birds. They will see and hear stuff long before you do. Titmice, Blue jays and wrens are especially vocal and will often scold anything moving around including you.

--------------------
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life. (1 John 5:12)

TGMM Family of the Bow
CBA

Posts: 482 | From: Western Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©