Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
St Joe River Bows
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

A Blast from the Past!
Staci Sanpei

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO The Shooters Forum.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » AUCTUAL draw length what an eye opener!!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: AUCTUAL draw length what an eye opener!!!!!!
adkmountainken
Contributor 2014
Member # 3237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adkmountainken   Email adkmountainken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have shot trad for many years now on and off. when i switched over from compound i was drawing 28 inches so now knowing that much about trad i allways figured my draw was a solid 28 inches. well today after watching ken Thornhill shoot my Kanati i sold him i was blown away. the arrows were lasers, i mean unreal fast!!! i knew there was know way 1 inch in draw would make a difference like that. i had Ron w measure my draw THREE times. would ya believe 23 1/2 inches!!!!!!!! i never would have know. a simple thing like this makes me feel like an idiot!!!

--------------------
The less i have the more i gain, off the beaten path i reign ~ James Hetfield
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Posts: 6457 | From: the great Adirondacks | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOWMARKS
Contributor 2014
Member # 12754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOWMARKS   Email BOWMARKS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

I remember Killy said you were shrinking. [laughing] [laughing]

--------------------
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-50#@28"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 2291 | From: Erie,Pa. | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2014
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! I just re-measured mine to make sure it's still the same...all good! Seriously though, 4 1/2" is a huge difference!
Posts: 3818 | From: Michigan/Colorado | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adkmountainken
Contributor 2014
Member # 3237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adkmountainken   Email adkmountainken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah now consider i juat bought a new bow #56@28 and i'm drawing 23 1/2!!!!! love the bow but will order another as well.

--------------------
The less i have the more i gain, off the beaten path i reign ~ James Hetfield
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Posts: 6457 | From: the great Adirondacks | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leatherneck
Contributor 2014
Member # 11436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leatherneck   Email leatherneck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, that seems real odd to drop that far in draw. What method did he use to check your draw?

--------------------
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Posts: 4422 | From: Bethesda, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob W.
Contributor 2014
Member # 28920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob W.   Email Rob W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went from 29" plus a string loop(compound) down to 27" and I'm 6'2". Amazes me when I watch my wife draw the same.

--------------------
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Posts: 2481 | From: S. Indiana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1Longbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Longbow   Email 1Longbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing,
I ordered a Kanati with a 29 inch draw length@ 58#'s. My buddy was watching me shoot and told me that I was way short drawing it. We measured and found out that I'm drawing it to 27 inches?! I was dumb founded,I've always shot at 29 inches,do you shrink as you grow older? I was wondering why I was having arrow flight problems. I love the bow ,and work with it. Very interesting--1Longbow

Posts: 352 | From: Prescott Valley ,Az. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RonD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RonD   Email RonD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a impromtu study at a 3D shoot one afternoon and found out of sixteen shooters, 14 were an inch to two inches shorter than they actually claimed to draw.
Posts: 325 | From: Cleveland, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat
Contributor 2014
Member # 8939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kat   Email kat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard a lot of people say that they have to order new arrows after attending a shooting clinic.
A positive change in form will often yield a longer draw length.
It is easy to fall into a 'slumping' posture. It is a real draw length killer.

--------------------
Ken Thornhill

Posts: 1229 | From: wilton, n.y. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adkarcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adkarcher   Email adkarcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing here Ken, ended up with a 24" draw with the longbow.

Adkarcher

--------------------
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 277 | From: Formerly of Boonville, NY, now Lewisville, NC | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob W.
Contributor 2014
Member # 28920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob W.   Email Rob W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put a clicker on last year and couldn't believe what I was actually drawing. Now I'm a good 27" and my groups are better than ever. Also seems to have taken away that bad first shot on cold muscles. Rob

--------------------
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Posts: 2481 | From: S. Indiana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe skipp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe skipp   Email joe skipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cra....even Ciccone draws more than that!!!

[dunno] [nono] [help]

--------------------
I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture.
Bob Uecker

Posts: 6666 | From: Renegade Archery, Highland, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zbearclaw
Contributor 2012
Member # 20375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zbearclaw   Email Zbearclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot a compound @ 27" and draw right at 28" with trad bows.

--------------------
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Posts: 743 | From: California by way of Georgia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wapiti1997
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapiti1997   Author's Homepage   Email wapiti1997   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot 30" with compounds and release aid, 28" with my longbow.

--------------------
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Posts: 165 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Mundy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Mundy   Email Jeff Mundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That seems awful short, you need to take a good hard look at your form. I've been where you are & and after working real hard on my form & trying to fix the bad habits I had since I picked up a recurve as a kid I gained a solid 2".
Posts: 147 | From: Botetourt Co., VA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©