Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Robertson Stykbow
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mark Pitts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Bob Lee or Black Widow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bob Lee or Black Widow
Longrifleman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longrifleman   Email Longrifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've shot a BW TD recurve& like the weight of the riser. Wondering how a Bob Lee compares in riser weight and grip size to a standard or asbell grip on a widow, and the differences between the 2 as far as shooting goes.
Posts: 180 | From: PA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee , love the grips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12162 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adeeden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adeeden   Email adeeden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bob lees are comparable in mass weight and grip sizes as the widows.

My preference is the bob lee and they seem quiter as well. Shoot both then decide!

--------------------
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Posts: 1900 | From: Georgetown, IL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3arrows
Contributor 2014
Member # 21255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3arrows   Email 3arrows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have owned both,BW standard has a smaller neck.The BL is more like the old Bear grips which like better.The weight of riser are about the same.The asbell grip is fatter.BW is a little faster and louder.BL limbs fit right and left BW won't.

--------------------
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Posts: 436 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
Contributor 2014
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't lose with either one. BW has the performance edge, BL is a bit quieter, and will handle a wider range of spines for some reason.

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2097 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtpops
Contributor 2013
Member # 7254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtpops   Email wtpops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
witch ever fits you best, you cant go wrong with eather

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Nothing on God's earth has a price so dear and profound as Freedom.
Nothing on God's earth is worth such a price but Freedom.

Posts: 2576 | From: Siloam Springs, AR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Arrows
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Arrows   Email Two Arrows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had several of both, prefer the Bob Lee due to the grip.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1314 | From: Blair, Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2elkhunt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2elkhunt   Email 2elkhunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another happy Bob Lee owner here

--------------------
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Posts: 426 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stujay
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stujay   Email stujay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only way to know for certain is to put them in your hand. Widow should give a slight edge in performance, nothing that a SBD string won't even out.
Posts: 1909 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Kleinig
Contributor 2012
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Kleinig   Email Ben Kleinig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have handled and shot both, but only own the Black Widow. I prefer the Black Widow, but there's nothing wrong with the Bob Lee.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 5776 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawn Leonard
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shawn Leonard   Email Shawn Leonard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with most but the comment about the Widow being faster. Widows are of average speed in todays bow world and the Lees are a bit better than average as were the Wings in there day. I have owned several of each and in side by side testing the Lees were always several fps. faster, same weight,draw and arrow. Widows customer service is second to none and they really stand behind their bows as well. I would choose the one you like best now that they are comparable in price. 7-8 years ago I would of said Lee because you could buy two for what a Widow costs but now it would be a coin toss, except the Lee is deifinitely quieter! Shawn

--------------------
Shawn

Posts: 14118 | From: N.Y | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2014
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no help to you. I have never had a Lee in my hands. I do have Widows though and I like em! I like the standard grip. I'm surprised the Lee has the same heft as a Widow (PSA, PMA, PCH, or PA) because there seems to be (just looking) so much more wood in the riser.

If you don't have to have a TD my favorite is the PA (1-piece). I have PSAIII and PCHX as well.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 4446 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedShaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedShaft   Email RedShaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i owned a lee take down and have shot widows. i have a widow on the way now.. my lee was smooth and the grip was nice. the riser on the widows are heavier feel and also so feel solid after the shot. speed was close to the same. but the widows where a bit smoother in draw to me. the ashbel grip feels really good to me and thats what i ordered on my widow.

--------------------
Respect All...Fear None!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Posts: 1376 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babs
Contributor 2014
Member # 17376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babs   Email babs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I never shot a widow so cant comment on that but I just got a bob lee 62" heavyweight recurve and a 62" envy longbow and they look and perform awesome, I just got them on friday and shot them for a few hours but so far I am very pleased. From the first time I talked to JJ at bob lee until my delievery everything was smooth and they answered all my questions sent me pics with different options. I ordered my bows and was told that they wouldnt be delivered until the first or 2nd week of october and they came september 30th. Thats great service, but the quality was even better cant be an happier. I finally found the bow for me.

--------------------
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Bob Lee Envy 50@29

Posts: 746 | From: Altoona, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2014
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have owned both. The lee had recurve and longbow limbs,I liked the longbow limbs better than the recurve limbs on the Lee. That said I prefer BW bows although like most have said you can't go wrong with either.

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1303 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©