Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Robertson Stykbow
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mark Pitts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Wind Feathers.......what's your experience? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wind Feathers.......what's your experience?
straight_arrow
Contributor 2014
Member # 34481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straight_arrow   Email straight_arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used wind feathers on my recureve for as long as I can remember. They're simple and to the point, one less item to carry in your fanny pack. I can't tell you the last time I've seen one on anpother bow! What's your experience, good, bad or indifferent? Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"They're all trophies"

Posts: 262 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gatekeeper
Contributor 2013
Member # 8366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gatekeeper   Email Gatekeeper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use one and I have been tying a light section of string down where I expect to see the animals so I can see what the wind is doing on their level.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Posts: 2355 | From: Camden Point, Missouri | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
Contributor 2014
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 'em all the time. The problem I have is that eventually they tear off - and usually I first notice at daylight when I'm leaning against a tree waiting for movement.

I will attest that just the thread used to tie them works pretty well.

--------------------
Charlie P. ~~ _/)~~ A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 3 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 2 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 3367 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric O'Shay
Contributor 2014
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric O'Shay   Email Ric O'Shay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy watching mine float around as the wind changes. Since I haven't seen any critters this year while on stand, they help pass the time... [banghead]

--------------------
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 2626 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime I look at mine it's wrapped around the string. I figure it's not worth the extra motion it takes me to untagle it and hold my bow so it's just right. Unless it's dead calm, I can feel it enough to judge it pretty well.

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4451 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biggie, gosh dog you must be bored chimming in on a Wind feather thread.......please cut your computor off....walk around the office, text gene to see if he has missed again and again and again, break wind, do 2 sets of 3 push ups then head back to office chair

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2049 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
Contributor 2012
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Biggie said. Also they get torn off going through the brush. Just use thread works just a well.

--------------------
"We hunt because we enjoy it. How you get that enjoyment is for you to decide."

Posts: 7364 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snakebit40
Contributor 2014
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snakebit40   Email snakebit40   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Mark after seeing your bows with them, I might start putting them on too. I like the idea of tying one up below the stand to see what the wind is doing down lower.

--------------------
Jon Richards

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 62@28
Schafer Silvertip 71@28

Posts: 1608 | From: Studley, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antler chaser
Contributor 2013
Member # 7767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antler chaser   Author's Homepage   Email antler chaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used the feather for years one on my bow and one on my grunt tube.
Posts: 82 | From: colorado | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you by a lake or park when the ducks are molting you can get a trash bag full of small(less than an inch) belly feathers (light white and float well) keep a few in your pocket and let one go as needed.Oh and they are freeeeeeeeee, with no smell

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8106 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeteA
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteA   Email PeteA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tie a blaze orange thread with a small piece of wool string silencer on the end. They get all tangled on my cat whiskers however. I just tried tying one to the tip of my arrow.

--------------------
Predator Hunter 46#@28
Bear Take Down 50#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Posts: 583 | From: Westchester, New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jmatt1957
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jmatt1957   Email Jmatt1957   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit using them several years ago, same as above either tangled around string or missing. I use dried cattails that I keep in a 35mm film canister. really let me see what the wind is doing.
Posts: 746 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canyon   Email Canyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just use a 4-5 inch piece of light colored thread tied slightly above mid way of the upper limb. Keeps from getting tangled with bowstring and is easy enough to see.

--------------------
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Posts: 923 | From: Grand Canyon, AZ | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a lighter to tell the wind direction before I go in the woods. After setting up I can tell any change in wind direction. if it is comming thru the eye holes in my mask I am good, on the back of my neck is bad.

--------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 1448 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Clagett
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Clagett   Email Russ Clagett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short piece of unwaxed dental floss tied to the string........light enough to move in any wind, but doesnt get caught on anything.
Posts: 524 | From: Pflugerville, Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©