Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trad Bowhunting & Wilderness Podcast
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Kelly

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Wind Feathers.......what's your experience? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wind Feathers.......what's your experience?
straight_arrow
Contributor 2014
Member # 34481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straight_arrow   Email straight_arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used wind feathers on my recureve for as long as I can remember. They're simple and to the point, one less item to carry in your fanny pack. I can't tell you the last time I've seen one on anpother bow! What's your experience, good, bad or indifferent? Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"They're all trophies"

Posts: 330 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gatekeeper
Contributor 2014
Member # 8366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gatekeeper   Email Gatekeeper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use one and I have been tying a light section of string down where I expect to see the animals so I can see what the wind is doing on their level.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Posts: 2389 | From: Camden Point, Missouri | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
Contributor 2014
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 'em all the time. The problem I have is that eventually they tear off - and usually I first notice at daylight when I'm leaning against a tree waiting for movement.

I will attest that just the thread used to tie them works pretty well.

--------------------
Charlie P. ~~ _/)~~ A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 3 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 2 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 3452 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric O'Shay
Contributor 2014
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric O'Shay   Email Ric O'Shay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy watching mine float around as the wind changes. Since I haven't seen any critters this year while on stand, they help pass the time... [banghead]

--------------------
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 2735 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime I look at mine it's wrapped around the string. I figure it's not worth the extra motion it takes me to untagle it and hold my bow so it's just right. Unless it's dead calm, I can feel it enough to judge it pretty well.

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4451 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biggie, gosh dog you must be bored chimming in on a Wind feather thread.......please cut your computor off....walk around the office, text gene to see if he has missed again and again and again, break wind, do 2 sets of 3 push ups then head back to office chair

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2087 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
Contributor 2012
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Biggie said. Also they get torn off going through the brush. Just use thread works just a well.

--------------------
"We hunt because we enjoy it. How you get that enjoyment is for you to decide."

Posts: 7626 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snakebit40
Contributor 2015
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snakebit40   Email snakebit40   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Mark after seeing your bows with them, I might start putting them on too. I like the idea of tying one up below the stand to see what the wind is doing down lower.

--------------------
Jon Richards

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 62@28
Schafer Silvertip 71@28

Posts: 1637 | From: Colby, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antler chaser
Contributor 2013
Member # 7767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antler chaser   Author's Homepage   Email antler chaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used the feather for years one on my bow and one on my grunt tube.
Posts: 82 | From: colorado | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you by a lake or park when the ducks are molting you can get a trash bag full of small(less than an inch) belly feathers (light white and float well) keep a few in your pocket and let one go as needed.Oh and they are freeeeeeeeee, with no smell

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8106 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeteA
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteA   Email PeteA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tie a blaze orange thread with a small piece of wool string silencer on the end. They get all tangled on my cat whiskers however. I just tried tying one to the tip of my arrow.

--------------------
Predator Hunter 46#@28
Bear Take Down 50#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Posts: 590 | From: Westchester, New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jmatt1957
Contributor 2014
Member # 1383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jmatt1957   Email Jmatt1957   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit using them several years ago, same as above either tangled around string or missing. I use dried cattails that I keep in a 35mm film canister. really let me see what the wind is doing.
Posts: 765 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canyon   Email Canyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just use a 4-5 inch piece of light colored thread tied slightly above mid way of the upper limb. Keeps from getting tangled with bowstring and is easy enough to see.

--------------------
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Posts: 923 | From: Grand Canyon, AZ | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesV
Contributor 2013
Member # 23743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesV   Email JamesV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a lighter to tell the wind direction before I go in the woods. After setting up I can tell any change in wind direction. if it is comming thru the eye holes in my mask I am good, on the back of my neck is bad.

--------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Posts: 1587 | From: Rolling Fork, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Clagett
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Clagett   Email Russ Clagett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short piece of unwaxed dental floss tied to the string........light enough to move in any wind, but doesnt get caught on anything.
Posts: 538 | From: Pflugerville, Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©