Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Robertson Stykbow
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mark Pitts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Soooo Close ! AGAIN!!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Soooo Close ! AGAIN!!!!
JO_EZ
Member # 14840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JO_EZ   Email JO_EZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One time, I was hunting a boggy sedge meadow with a brushy ditch through it. When I came in that morning, I couldn't quite find my spot, so I ended up wantering around in front of it for a while. I had a doe pee soaked rag tied to my boot to cover my scent. When I finally found my spot, I put some doe pee on the trail and nessled into the ditch.

About 9:00, I heard a swishing in the grass and a nice 6 pointer was comming in. He was sniffing like a hound dog. However, instead of taking the runway, he followed my trail!!

At 6 paces his head poked around the bush I was hiding beside, our eyes met for a second and he bugged otta there in a hurry.

I don't juice my boots any more...

That was fun, though.

--------------------
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Posts: 84 | From: GR, MI | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulysseys
Contributor 2014
Member # 11263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulysseys   Email Ulysseys   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was hunting off the ground once in an apple orchard and carved my way into a heavy thorn thicket while wearing a leafy suit when a young doe walked out and started eating the brush I was using as cover. Pretty surreal experience. She never spooked and I missed her at under 10 yds. when she walked away. I could of easily touched her several times over. I'm still not sure if it would of been better to connect on the shot or stick with the miss; the miss kinda puts an exclamation point on the story.

--------------------
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Posts: 616 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgroundstalker
Contributor 2014
Member # 10420

Icon 7 posted      Profile for mcgroundstalker   Email mcgroundstalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hunt from the ground for me or stay home and watch tv! [Big Grin] Gotta Love It!

... mike ...

--------------------
"To that he bends himself,
To that each day allots most time wherein
He is indeed the best part of himself."

Euripides

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

George S. Patton

Posts: 3690 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrownA5
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrownA5   Email BrownA5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 8 feet a real gentleman would have offered her a handkerchief to wipe off her whiskers!! LOL

That close really is a rush!!

--------------------
58" Morrison Shawnee 45# @ 28"
62" Morrison Cheyenne 48# @ 28"
60" Marriah Thermal 53# @ 28"

Posts: 2150 | From: New York | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe skipp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe skipp   Email joe skipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you know what you have been missing all these years. Those close encounters will leave you either smiling or frustrated. Stay with it Fred... [readit] [banghead] [archer]

--------------------
I was shooting Hot Pink feathers before Fred Eichler was even born.

Posts: 6579 | From: Renegade Archery, Highland, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1/4 away
Contributor 2014
Member # 141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1/4 away   Email 1/4 away   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, Don't know if I'm ready yet to completely give up treestands but I will tell you that getting that close and having deer at eye level was exhilerating to say the least. I will definitely be spending more time on the ground next season.

--------------------
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Posts: 2812 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to beat that rush!! Stay with em!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Posts: 8582 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scoobiedooo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scoobiedooo   Author's Homepage   Email Scoobiedooo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! What stories! I have wanted to start hunting from a ground blind from now on instead of having to mess around with treestands all the time...think it would be rather cool - despite having to be very careful about wind direction, scent, etc.

I'm wondering - would I be better off with a commercial ground blind/hut or just some 4 ft x 10 ft camo material string up between 2 trees and a seat? I don't wanna have to 'break the bank' buying a commercial blind....

PS CyclicRivers - I see you are from Scotia! We are very close to each other!

--------------------
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Posts: 187 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bornagainbowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 21829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bornagainbowhunter   Author's Homepage   Email bornagainbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awsome. I hope your season picks up for you and you have several more encounters just like that... Cept for the blowing and running off part!
God bless,
Nathan

--------------------
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Posts: 1946 | From: Crow Mnt., Arkansas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1/4 away
Contributor 2014
Member # 141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1/4 away   Email 1/4 away   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last evenings hunt was my last for the season as it ends today, but it ended on a high note. My buddy and I both set up on the ground about 75 yards from one another. I couldn't set up in the spot where I had the close encounter cause the wind was wrong but I managed to find a spot about 40 yards away behind a big boulder at the base of a hill that was at least 7 feet high by about the same wide. My view of the area was limited but if the deer traveled their normal route I would have a shot less than 15 yards off to my right. Around 3:50pm I heard a deer blow up on the hill off to my left front. About 45 minutes later I heard it blow again but this time it sounded like it ws right on the other side of the rock. I was all set and waiting for the shot. I could hear the deer moving about but waited patiently for it to come into my shooting lane. It never happened. When my buddy arrived at my spot after dark he told me he saw the whole thing. Actually the deer were blowing at him and they came off the hill and stopped about 10 yards from my position on the other side of the rock. There were 6 of them just milling around but watching him intently. They must have known something was up cause after a bit the ran off back up the hill from where they came. Just knowing I had gotten that close once again was awesome!! They'd better beware next season cuz I know its just a matter of time before I get my first deer from the ground.

--------------------
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Posts: 2812 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Fred! [clapper] You were that close! [Eek!] It will happen! [archer] By the way I had your old arrows out today. Going back out Monday morning. I will make it happen. Man oh man do they fly nice!!! [archer2]
Posts: 7269 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1/4 away
Contributor 2014
Member # 141

Tom, I'm counting on you to bloody them. [thumbsup]

--------------------

bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try like Hec Fred. [archer2] Winter Bow in Jersey is Tuff though. [banghead] I Hope to make something happen! [archer]
Posts: 7269 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©