Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Traditional Bowyer
by Jack Harrison
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Terry Folts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Shoot or Don't Shoot? And Where?Pic Shot 2 on pg2 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shoot or Don't Shoot? And Where?Pic Shot 2 on pg2
arrowslinger22
Contributor 2015
Member # 2575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrowslinger22   Email arrowslinger22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't take the shot, too risky an angle and he's looking at you. My way of thinking is:

Alert deer + tough angle = midnight in the swamp

--------------------
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Posts: 675 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daveycrockett
Contributor 2015
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveycrockett   Email daveycrockett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wtpops:
Im already at full draw , that is why he is looking at me, he heard something [Wink] arrow is away to the red spot.

yep

--------------------
Bob Lee Ultimate
Bob Lee Camo Hunter
A&H ACS
Timberghost Smoke
Big Jim T.D Buffalo

Posts: 3625 | From: Lufkin, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
Contributor 2012
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never take that shot. Deer is alerted and is going to move. When he moves a bad angle gets way worse. If you do hit him it most likely isn't going to kill him quickly.

--------------------
"We hunt because we enjoy it. How you get that enjoyment is for you to decide."

Posts: 7652 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alrighty Shot #2

-

I know its quatering to a bit, but it's a coyote, and just about any arrow is going to punch through the little bugger, and , well it's a coyote. If you got this close, you'd better make the most of the opportunity (which I didn't on this dog [Smile] And this is assuming he'll be in the same place when the arrow gets there LOL!

-

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4688 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrow30
Contributor 2015
Member # 22657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrow30   Email arrow30   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't like that angle very much since hes actully standing straight away, but since he turned to look at the does over my shoulder from me he apears to be quartering wich creats an inside quartering shot,( very tight ) and im not sure i can clear that barbwire without raising off my seat a little, if he does jump the string he's gonna drop and roll away from me, so i better aim just a bit lower than the the spot you picked. (if he's still there after i thought that much about it...........hmmmmmm.....he looks kinda sick anyway i guess i'l let him go).

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~DON'T SECOND GUESS YOUR INSTINCT~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 1726 | From: st. louis county , missouri | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrow30
Contributor 2015
Member # 22657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrow30   Email arrow30   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
id take that shot on the yote, 3-4 more steps.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~DON'T SECOND GUESS YOUR INSTINCT~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 1726 | From: st. louis county , missouri | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waknstak IL
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waknstak IL   Email waknstak IL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd definitely pass on the buck. Don't like the angle or the fact that he looks pretty ready to bolt at the first sound. I'd take the shot on the coyote right where you have the dot. When he hit the next open hole.

--------------------
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Posts: 911 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lablover
Contributor 2015
Member # 17791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lablover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd take the shot on the coyote, right
where you have your dot cause if he's moveing you will still be in the lungs.

--------------------
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Posts: 476 | From: Douglass, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaddyMac
Contributor 2011
Member # 10560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaddyMac   Email PaddyMac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would wait on the buck and the coyote. The red dot is right on both, but I don't like the angle on the buck; too easy to get ka-ka on you. That's one skinny blacktail. California? The coyote is moving and is about to be perfect.

--------------------
Pat McGann

Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days." --Turkish proverb

Posts: 820 | From: Twisp, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat yep Cali, during the rut. With no bucks in that state you can understand why that poor guy is so skinny. That's a lot of ground and a lot of does to cover! LOL!!

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4688 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mt-dew10
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mt-dew10   Author's Homepage   Email mt-dew10   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't shoot in either situation. Too much chance of something going wrong in both cases.

--------------------
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Posts: 246 | From: Montana | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
don_h
Contributor 2012
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for don_h   Email don_h   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better don't shoot that buck less you know the guy owning the property on the other side of that fence.....pretty dirty on that yote, but the spot looks good.
Posts: 180 | From: Alaska | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The yote has to get to that last opening(about 3 steps more) and then by by.

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8106 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wapiti792
Contributor 2015
Member # 8137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapiti792   Email wapiti792   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would look just a little lower on the shoulder of that yote. I want his shoulder broke and the arrow through his heart. Quartering to on a thin boned animal is ok in my book, especially a coyote or say a fox. Not a deer or bigger for sure!

-

--------------------
Mike Davenport

Posts: 2761 | From: Southern IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I may get flamed but I would let the yote take two steps and make a head shot. A heavy arrow and grizzly broadhead will pin him to the ground. a miss will be just that a clean miss. If I hit him back it is a spine or neck shot. Any hit I make will kill him. Waiting for the two steps puts him in a clear shooting lane. At that range the coyote will soon be a quiver.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©