Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Swafford Knives
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Benjamin Epting

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Should I shoot wood arrows? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Should I shoot wood arrows?
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a company from Texas I think that was making arrows longer than most arein length. I think they were from lodgepole or something. They had an add that was a fense post with arrows stuck in it.I know someone has to remember that company add.

And at 31 1/2 surewoods will work great for you. just taper them and you will be good.

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8106 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fletcher
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fletcher   Email Fletcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a word, YES!

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

When it comes to shooting well, the arrow is more important than the bow.

Posts: 4932 | From: Rochester, IL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stiks-n-Strings
Contributor 2011
Member # 21118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stiks-n-Strings   Email Stiks-n-Strings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothin' better than woodies. My first came from Fletcher. Still shooting them after two years along with dozens of others [Big Grin]

Wood arrows are like bows, you just cant have enough

--------------------
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
2 Cor. 10:4
TGMM Family of The Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Posts: 3575 | From: Petersburg, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
SPONSOR
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wood is Good"......... [thumbsup]

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
Wilderness Custom Arrows

Posts: 7207 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OkKeith
Contributor 2010
Member # 10984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OkKeith   Email OkKeith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chain2,

I love wood arrows. I like to build them and I like to shoot them. I have a 31.5 to 32 inch draw as well (depending on which of my bows I'm shooting). I foot most of my wood arrows with three inches or so of alum. arrow both for strength and to add some length.

As much as I love wood arrows, I don't hunt with them any more. Regardless of how pricey and of high quality my shafts are, and even if I use the utmost care in constructing them; no wood arrow will ever match the durability and consistancy of a carbon shaft.

I still shoot wood shafts for the enjoyment of them. Some of the 3D tournaments I shoot require them for certian catagories. But... when it comes to hunting and making a clean, quick kill is on the line, I prefer the carbon shafts.

OkKeith

--------------------
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 869 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelander
Contributor 2011
Member # 2629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelander   Author's Homepage   Email Pinelander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consistency?

All three of these bare shaft Surewood Douglas Firs are within a 1" spread.

All three are 48 lb. spine.

All three were shot from 20 yards.

-

- Dave

Posts: 894 | From: N. Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike g
SPONSOR
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g   Author's Homepage   Email mike g   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing better than a dz painted up woodies....
But anymore I just use the legacy shafts.Get a dz now and dz later, there always the same....
Around here ya have to shoot woods with longbows....I still use my legacys I just dont shoot for score....

--------------------
"Mike your friend In Traditional archery" (M.A.L.)
www.mikesarcheryleather.com
Leather Armguards,Quivers,and Accessories, Mike's Archery Leather
"Rinehart 3D Target Dealer"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4040 | From: Stockton California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
SPONSOR
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good to me Dave! [thumbsup] Properly made and tuned wood arrows (key word is "properly") will fly just as good as other shaft types.

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
Wilderness Custom Arrows

Posts: 7207 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tajue17
Contributor 2014
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinelander:
Consistency?

All three of these bare shaft Surewood Douglas Firs are within a 1" spread.

All three are 48 lb. spine.

All three were shot from 20 yards.

-

- Dave

thats perfect shooting at 20yds bareshaft with woods.. curious what was your draw and the weight of the bow?

--------------------
JD Berry Vixen

Posts: 1977 | From: Plymouth, Mass | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelander
Contributor 2011
Member # 2629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelander   Author's Homepage   Email Pinelander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
44 lb, 27" draw, split-finger, 28" bop arrows, 509/511/515 gr. using 125 gr. point, sideplate approx. 1/8" out from center, 12-strand D97, wool silencers, 54" Saluki Turk.

- Dave

Posts: 894 | From: N. Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
instinctivebowman
SPONSOR
Member # 35217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for instinctivebowman   Author's Homepage   Email instinctivebowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave, thats a cool post. i love shooting bare shafts. i cant usually make them do that thuogh. if my mind and form are right, my wood arrows will almost always go where they are supposed too. i have 100% confidence in them, not always in myself but certainly in the arrow.

jeremy

--------------------
Clark Broadheads

Posts: 206 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
instinctivebowman
SPONSOR
Member # 35217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for instinctivebowman   Author's Homepage   Email instinctivebowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i will add that i may not shoot accurate enuogh to notice the slight differences in the wood shafts?

--------------------
Clark Broadheads

Posts: 206 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moththerlode
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 28292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moththerlode   Email moththerlode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like shooting bare shaft at 20 yrds , in fact been doing it past couple of days , it is a great way to work on form and release . If you get a little sloppy you sure know it. Oh yea , Sherwoods for me. I like the durability compared to pine.

--------------------
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Posts: 401 | From: CA. | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wood arrows can be hard to find at longer lengths... but, they are out there.

The last batch of timber arrows I made were all within 6 grains. Thats with BH's, nocks, creasting and fletching.

I've bought top of the line carbon shafts that are not that close...

If you build it, they will come...

ak.

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2090 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
portugeejn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for portugeejn   Email portugeejn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Try some of those Surewood shafts in Douglas fir. Snag does some real real nice finished arrows.

RonP

Posts: 1018 | From: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©