Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Two Tracks Bow Co.
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

David B. Gage

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Should I shoot wood arrows? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Should I shoot wood arrows?
lpcjon2
Contributor 2012
Member # 21374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpcjon2   Email lpcjon2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a company from Texas I think that was making arrows longer than most arein length. I think they were from lodgepole or something. They had an add that was a fense post with arrows stuck in it.I know someone has to remember that company add.

And at 31 1/2 surewoods will work great for you. just taper them and you will be good.

--------------------
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Posts: 8106 | From: NJ to GA back to NJ =Lost ;) | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fletcher
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2015
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fletcher   Email Fletcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a word, YES!

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Posts: 5154 | From: Rochester, IL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stiks-n-Strings
Contributor 2011
Member # 21118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stiks-n-Strings   Email Stiks-n-Strings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothin' better than woodies. My first came from Fletcher. Still shooting them after two years along with dozens of others [Big Grin]

Wood arrows are like bows, you just cant have enough

--------------------
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
2 Cor. 10:4
TGMM Family of The Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Posts: 3575 | From: Petersburg, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
SPONSOR
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wood is Good"......... [thumbsup]

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
Wilderness Custom Arrows

Posts: 7268 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OkKeith
Contributor 2010
Member # 10984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OkKeith   Email OkKeith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chain2,

I love wood arrows. I like to build them and I like to shoot them. I have a 31.5 to 32 inch draw as well (depending on which of my bows I'm shooting). I foot most of my wood arrows with three inches or so of alum. arrow both for strength and to add some length.

As much as I love wood arrows, I don't hunt with them any more. Regardless of how pricey and of high quality my shafts are, and even if I use the utmost care in constructing them; no wood arrow will ever match the durability and consistancy of a carbon shaft.

I still shoot wood shafts for the enjoyment of them. Some of the 3D tournaments I shoot require them for certian catagories. But... when it comes to hunting and making a clean, quick kill is on the line, I prefer the carbon shafts.

OkKeith

--------------------
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 869 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelander
Contributor 2011
Member # 2629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelander   Author's Homepage   Email Pinelander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consistency?

All three of these bare shaft Surewood Douglas Firs are within a 1" spread.

All three are 48 lb. spine.

All three were shot from 20 yards.

-

- Dave

Posts: 894 | From: N. Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike g
SPONSOR
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g   Author's Homepage   Email mike g   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing better than a dz painted up woodies....
But anymore I just use the legacy shafts.Get a dz now and dz later, there always the same....
Around here ya have to shoot woods with longbows....I still use my legacys I just dont shoot for score....

--------------------
"Mike your friend In Traditional archery" (M.A.L.)
www.mikesarcheryleather.com
Leather Armguards,Quivers,and Accessories, Mike's Archery Leather
"Rinehart 3D Target Dealer"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4140 | From: Stockton California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
SPONSOR
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good to me Dave! [thumbsup] Properly made and tuned wood arrows (key word is "properly") will fly just as good as other shaft types.

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
Wilderness Custom Arrows

Posts: 7268 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tajue17
Contributor 2015
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinelander:
Consistency?

All three of these bare shaft Surewood Douglas Firs are within a 1" spread.

All three are 48 lb. spine.

All three were shot from 20 yards.

-

- Dave

thats perfect shooting at 20yds bareshaft with woods.. curious what was your draw and the weight of the bow?

--------------------
JD Berry Vixen

Posts: 2108 | From: Plymouth, Mass | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelander
Contributor 2011
Member # 2629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelander   Author's Homepage   Email Pinelander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
44 lb, 27" draw, split-finger, 28" bop arrows, 509/511/515 gr. using 125 gr. point, sideplate approx. 1/8" out from center, 12-strand D97, wool silencers, 54" Saluki Turk.

- Dave

Posts: 894 | From: N. Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
instinctivebowman
SPONSOR
Member # 35217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for instinctivebowman   Author's Homepage   Email instinctivebowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave, thats a cool post. i love shooting bare shafts. i cant usually make them do that thuogh. if my mind and form are right, my wood arrows will almost always go where they are supposed too. i have 100% confidence in them, not always in myself but certainly in the arrow.

jeremy

--------------------
Clark Broadheads

Posts: 206 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
instinctivebowman
SPONSOR
Member # 35217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for instinctivebowman   Author's Homepage   Email instinctivebowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i will add that i may not shoot accurate enuogh to notice the slight differences in the wood shafts?

--------------------
Clark Broadheads

Posts: 206 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moththerlode
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 28292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moththerlode   Email moththerlode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like shooting bare shaft at 20 yrds , in fact been doing it past couple of days , it is a great way to work on form and release . If you get a little sloppy you sure know it. Oh yea , Sherwoods for me. I like the durability compared to pine.

--------------------
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Posts: 401 | From: CA. | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wood arrows can be hard to find at longer lengths... but, they are out there.

The last batch of timber arrows I made were all within 6 grains. Thats with BH's, nocks, creasting and fletching.

I've bought top of the line carbon shafts that are not that close...

If you build it, they will come...

ak.

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2112 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
portugeejn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for portugeejn   Email portugeejn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Try some of those Surewood shafts in Douglas fir. Snag does some real real nice finished arrows.

RonP

Posts: 1019 | From: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©