Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Traditional Bowyer
by Jack Harrison
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Terry Folts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Selfbow Etiquette (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Selfbow Etiquette
Kris
Contributor 2014
Member # 12826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kris   Email Kris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly!

Kris

Posts: 963 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree with the theme here, but there is one exception to harming a selfbow.

And I do understand that sinew backed Owls are NOT your typical selfbow.

I have several sinew backed Owl's by Ed Scott and Ed told me that with the sinew backing, anyone can shoot them, regardless of draw. He even writes the weight @28" and out to 32". He guarantee's his sinew backed bows for life and I believe he told me he's never had to replace one. This is sinew backed only.

That's why, at Comptons, anyone can test shoot Ed's sinew backed bows as much as they like.

Anyhow, if anyone has a sinew backed Owl, use whatever caution you'd like, but Ed made it pretty clear that no harm will come to the bow.

Again, I realize this is the rare exception and not the case with 99% of the bows out there. I just want people to feel free to shoot an Owl if they ever see Ed Scott at a show.

Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OR....
Just say No.
A person,does have that right.LOL

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1364 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one I see a lot is when bows are for sale at a shoot, guys will try to man up and give them a super long draw like they are trying to prove how big they are. I had a case where I yelled a serious warning at a fellow that grabbed my wife's custom short draw bow. I watched him shoot earlier and he had a serious short draw flinch, but when drawing bows back he stood up straight and stretched them as far as he could. Him and his buddies almost went against my orders to put it back like I had no right to tell them what to do, when someone else told them they were out of line by handling bows on the private bow rack, they grudgingly put it back. If they would have jerked that bow back and damaged it, I would have broken the law. Anyone can pretend to be the big man when drawing back a light bow. One fellow let me shoot his bow, a Miller, but my draw was the same as his and I used his arrows, my arrows were actually shorter than his.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 3607 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudd
Contributor 2015
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Joe Mattingly self bow named "The 2 Holer" that I made the mistake of handing to a gent to hold while I got some arrows out of my truck.

I turned around just in time to see him pull it back to the point one tip rolled over and split down into the top hole.

I never dreamed that someone would just yank a bow back.

My heart sank as I knew it was going to be impossible to replace.

Joe did survive his brain cancer long enough to redo the bow making it a one holer but much shorter.

I could've kicked myself for letting anyone touch a bow that was made specifically for me and my right handed draw.

It's never happened again, nor will it ever.

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 11460 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob B.
Contributor 2014
Member # 14151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob B.   Email Bob B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great thread. I think many people just do not know better. It is up to the bow owner to instruct the inspector( my opinion) how to handle it. Also I do have an Owl bow, they are pretty bullet proof, but I am still careful about just handing it over. Lastly, people like to pic at the snake skins... not sure why they do that?

Mudd, what a shame what happened to your bow. A bow like that would be impossible to replace.

Bob.

--------------------
66" Osage Royale 54lbs@29
68" Shrew Hill 49lbs@29
68" Deathwish 51lbs@29
68" Jet Leopard 65lbs@29
68" Misty Dawn 55lbs@29

Posts: 1446 | From: Dodgeville, WI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JEJ
Contributor 2011
Member # 6000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEJ   Email JEJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, I hope you are OK with this. It is self bow related.

Hey Mudd, I have an osage stave with some black marks on it that mean a lot to me. One day before Joe got sick I took that stave and met him in the parking lot at DFW airport where he worked as an engineer. Joe took a marker and laid out handle, fades, tips, etc. on the stave and told me "go for it"! I have thought over the years if I ever got good enough at making bows I might make a bow out of that stave. But then those marks would be gone. Here in north TX there are lots of bodark trees that will make lots of staves. But none of them will have Joe's marks on them. I think I'm OK with keeping that stave just the way it is. I miss Joe.

Posts: 271 | From: Grapevine, TX | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading this thread, I got motivated to go out and shoot my pig-nut. I must be a really good self bow maker, I need to remind myself every so often how good that bow shoots. And no, you can't shoot it.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 3607 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2015
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As most people to whom you hand a bow will not have read these posts, and it seems to be a natural tendency to want to draw a bow, it would probably be a good idea, as wingnut suggested, to unstring the bow before handing it to someone.

Or if you're in the process of shooting it when someone wants to look at it, I don't see anything disrespectful in asking them not to draw it, just like you would explain to a kid about not dry-firing it.

Of course, it would be better if everyone understood these things, but since they don't, preservation of your bow would seem to indicate the wisdom of saying something yourself.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

When I retired, I thought about taking up armadillo breeding. It doesn't pay much, but the armadillos seem to like it.

Posts: 2589 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DVSHUNTER
Contributor 2014
Member # 15455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DVSHUNTER   Author's Homepage   Email DVSHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also hand them off unstrung. I still have people pull on the string. Id hate to have a bow damaged by someones ignorance so i wont give them the chance to damage it. They can draw it back after ive got the details clear.

Good post. May help spread the word.

--------------------
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Posts: 2993 | From: O' Fallon, MO | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweeney3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweeney3   Email sweeney3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful of handing someone an unstrung selfbow as well, as they are likely to try to string it BACKWARDS and break it. Don't ask.

--------------------
Silence is golden.

Posts: 865 | From: Lowell, AR | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have probably reached the choir pretty well with this thread.

Even with my glass backed bows I'm careful of who I allow to hold it. Some people think it's normal to draw it all the way back and dry fire it. [scared]

I saw a guy hand his super short Kodiak Magnum to a guy at the range. The guy was about 6'-6" with arms like a gorilla. the bow made crackling noises when he suddenly pulled it back to full draw.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 1000 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LITTLEBIGMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LITTLEBIGMAN   Email LITTLEBIGMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree and would like to add that a guy/gal should seek permission to draw anyone's bow regardless of the type of bow it is. I mean my bows are very special to me and I dont want some yahoo screwing it up

--------------------
Make a life, not a living

Posts: 2472 | From: Rugged SE Minnesota | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rraming
Contributor 2015
Member # 19822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rraming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info - I've never drawn a guys bow or shot it without asking first. I know it's the first thing guys do as a compound shooter drew my recurve back when he asked to see it, I turned around and closed my eye's waiting for the dry fire sound, thank heavens he didn't.

--------------------
Predator Classic 51@28/45@28
Kota Kill-Um 47@28
Kota Voyaguer 49@28
PMAX 48@28
Whip 47@28

Posts: 1461 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
30coupe
Contributor 2014
Member # 9663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30coupe   Email 30coupe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Excellent advice, Eric. I never draw anyone else's bow (selfbow, glass, or otherwise) without asking first. To me, It's just common courtesy.

x2 Jason.

My hickory bow is tillered to my 27" draw. It's 48# at that draw, but it goes up to 53# at 28". I checked it just to be on the safe side. If it's stacking that much, that's too much stress! I'm guessing 29" would be disastrous. [banghead]

Thanks for bringing this up Eric. I just hope the non-self bow shooters read this too. They are the ones who really need to.

--------------------
Kanati 58" RD Longbow 46# @ 28"
Dryad Orion TD Recurve - 56" 50# @ 28"
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Longbow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" recurve 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Posts: 2990 | From: Manly and Bellevue, IA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©