Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trophy Bowhunts Australia
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Jonathan Haas

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Stained curly maple pictures (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stained curly maple pictures
cacciatore
Contributor 2015
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cacciatore   Email cacciatore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk,congrats! [clapper]

--------------------
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Posts: 8119 | From: Italy/Colorado | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirkll
SPONSOR
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirkll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Wow, Kirk I really like the look of this!

I wouldn't go there if i was you Roy. [biglaugh]
i wasn't kidding about the extra work and extra charges for staining.

on the other hand.... i've been experimenting with tinting clear coats with some really cool results.

This isn't curly maple, and i'm not trying to high jack a thread, but look at the difference between the clear coating and the ones with an amber tinting.

I'll get a photo of the curly maple posted later today. it's SERIOUSLY cool looking.

-
Clear coat

-

Clear coat

-

Amber Tinting

-

Amber Tinting

--------------------
www.BigFootBows.com
https://www.facebook.com/bowbuildingstuff?ref=bookmarks

Posts: 3076 | From: Mulino Oregon | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adirondack Bowman
Contributor 2014
Member # 11594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adirondack Bowman   Email Adirondack Bowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Kirk, tell us more about that bow. It's a beauty
Posts: 299 | From: Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirkll
SPONSOR
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirkll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is about stained curly maple and i had to share this other bocote riser to show you the difference. I apologize for getting side tracked

Now here are a few riser blocks with the curly maple with amber tinting.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
www.BigFootBows.com

Posts: 3076 | From: Mulino Oregon | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
owlbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for owlbait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks yew colored, just what mooseman was looking for [thumbsup]

--------------------
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Posts: 6321 | From: Hesperia, Mi | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixby
SPONSOR
Member # 14586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sixby   Email Sixby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Big leaf maple with light gold stain

God bless you all, Steve

--------------------
http://eaglewingarchery.i8.com/
EAGLEWING ARCHERY

Posts: 2774 | From: Medford, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mooseman76
Contributor 2015
Member # 7374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mooseman76   Email mooseman76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet pics, fellas. You guys do some superb work. I'm liking what I'm seeing. Thank you...Mike
Posts: 1690 | From: Tuscarora, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2015
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting giddy in Kentucky over this tinting of curly maple!

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 4730 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixby
SPONSOR
Member # 14586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sixby   Email Sixby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also something that really makes a cool bow is suigy working the maple. Lightly torching it with a broad torch until it toasts. if you do it right it looks great. You do have to watch the veneers and I like to torch them when the veneer is heavy and then lightly sand over it and do all the rest of my sanding from the other side.

Kirks got it going on with the tinting though . It ties the whole bow together. limbs and riser. I believe that even with the torching I will also use the tint on top of it. That just looks awsome to me.

God bless you all, Steve

--------------------
EAGLEWING ARCHERY

Posts: 2774 | From: Medford, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
overbo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for overbo   Email overbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very simple process w/ very good results is using leather dyes.You apply a 2 part light brown and dark brown dye.
First the dark brown.Then sand till you get that amber tone like on Kirks photo.Wipe down w/ white vinegar.Apply the light brown stain and wipe down w/ vinegar.Makes curly maple look alot like curly Koa wood

Posts: 2146 | From: Va | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chortdraw
Contributor 2010
Member # 775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chortdraw   Email Chortdraw       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These bows are extremely well done and well thought out. Great work you all do.
Posts: 1974 | From: Az. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirkll
SPONSOR
Member # 11471

quote:
Originally posted by overbo:
Very simple process w/ very good results is using leather dyes.You apply a 2 part light brown and dark brown dye.
First the dark brown.Then sand till you get that amber tone like on Kirks photo.Wipe down w/ white vinegar.Apply the light brown stain and wipe down w/ vinegar.Makes curly maple look alot like curly Koa wood

Yup.... that "very simple process" is time consuming and a heck of a lot easier to put in text than it is to do and get a nice even job bro. it's all like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you are going to get...

--------------------
www.BigFootBows.com

The Whittler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Whittler   Email The Whittler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Forest Gump could have built bows lol.

Kirk, beautiful looking woods/bows.

Posts: 2588 | From: Northern Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
overbo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for overbo   Email overbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk,
Never had any issues w/ the dye method.
I've refinished 3 curly maple bows like this and have had great results.
Maybe more time consuming because it's a 3 step process and not a one step process but it dose make the maple have great depth in it's figure.

Posts: 2146 | From: Va | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixby
SPONSOR
Member # 14586

When done like Overbo is saying the outcome can be spectacular. I have also done the dark , sanded and applied oxblood and it looks simply awsome.

God bless you all, Steve

--------------------
EAGLEWING ARCHERY

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©