Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Swafford Knives
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Benjamin Epting

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » A Sweet bow and an AWESOME kid (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Sweet bow and an AWESOME kid
steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Icon 14 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First let me give you a little history. Almost 8 years ago, I asked a beautiful woman to marry me. Lucky for me she said Yes. She came with 2 boys Colten and Conner. While Conner and I have a good relationship, Colten (Smity from now on)and I have become good if not best friends.

-

A little history of the past 2 years. As everyone knows the economy is terrible, and the hardest hit seems to be construction. Well I got layed off, but fortunatley my wife has a decent job, so we are ok. I continued to look for work, but to no avail.

Fast forward to last Oct. Smity was about to turn 16. In our house this is a big birthday, you get your drivers license, and in our faith we encourage our young people to wait to date until they are 16. You kind of reach the right of passage as a man. Being with out work for a long time funds were limited. We were able to get him a very nice knife, but my wife and I felt like he deserved more. So at the last minute I gave him my Mohawk longbow for a gift. He was floored and I had never felt better.

So now I had the 2 longbows I had made myself and was content to shoot them. Around the first on the year Smity got a part time job and started earning a little for himself

-

Smity's new bow

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4591 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maineac
Contributor 2013
Member # 15727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maineac   Author's Homepage   Email maineac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great gift!! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

--------------------
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
Robert Holthouser

Posts: 3426 | From: Waldoboro, Maine | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnus
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 17483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnus   Email magnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome Ryan! Thanks for sharing with us.

--------------------
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
Turkey Flite Traditional
mwg.trad@yahoo.com

Posts: 4214 | From: N.E. Ohio | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manitoba Stickflinger
SPONSOR
Member # 18657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manitoba Stickflinger   Author's Homepage   Email Manitoba Stickflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story! Thanks for sharing Ryan!

Smity...awesome bow buddy. You have a great mentor there...listen to him!

--------------------
http://stickflingers.com/

Posts: 1724 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you Ryan. He'll keep that bow for a lifetime because of the depth of meaning involved in that gift.

--------------------
JD Berry Morningstar
JD Berry Argos
Miller Sage
JD Berry Vixen in the queue.
JET Buckshot in the queue.

Posts: 2780 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
Contributor 2014
Member # 17084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Clandinin   Email Steve Clandinin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic Family,Listen my friend if anythings needed to help you out with equipment for you or your family PM me ! I mean it.

--------------------
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Posts: 2879 | From: Sask. Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man I just typed a whole page and it's gone [banghead]

So around the first of the year, Smity comes by and notices me browsing the bow classifieds. He asks questions about bows, he is like that. He loves shooting a bow and is the only one whose taken it up. My son loves to come with me, but is into guns. It's good! Anyway i show him some good deals that were to be had at the time and thought nothing of it.

A few weeks go by and Smity approaches me with that look of a kid whose done something wrong. All us parents know it. Well out of the blue he informs me that he had purchased a Dwyer from Al (longshadow). I was floored and fought back the tears, but the tears won.

We anxiously awaited the bow and when it came I was excited! I opened the tube, and was floored. What an awesome bow. Then I tried to draw it. I knew right away it was too heavy [Frown] I was heartbroken! I have to give a huge shout out to Al. He not only was honest and fair but treated my son with class. I will never forget the generosity shown by him [clapper]

So Smity came up with plan B as we sent the bow back. We looked on the classifieds that night and fate struck us a great hand. There was a Mohawk that i had been looking at a few weeks earlier. Well a deal was made and today the long awaited tube showed up!

-

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4591 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

My little girl loves to have her pic taken. that's trouble for Daddy!

-

Open!!

-

A very happy Father!!

--------------------

steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

-

The money shot! I can't express how humbled I am or proud I am to call him my son! He is an awesome kid who deserves more than I can ever give to him. Love ya Buddy!
Now to kill my first elk with this bow this fall [Smile]

--------------------

steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Steve that is very nice of you to offer. If neede I will get ahold of you. Thanks.

--------------------

spotteddog
Contributor 2013
Member # 9294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spotteddog   Email spotteddog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story,Your a very lucky dad.
Posts: 251 | From: GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob W.
Contributor 2014
Member # 28920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob W.   Email Rob W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story and sweet bows!

I looked long and hard at that Mohawk when it was for sale.

Rob

--------------------
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Posts: 2524 | From: S. Indiana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good things happen to good people...you my friend, deserve every bit of the good that happens in your life!

Powerful stuff [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17050 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJK68
Contributor 2014
Member # 34684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJK68   Email TJK68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is AWSOME indeed, you are very lucky to have a son like that, and he to have a father like you. Congrats to both.
Tom

Posts: 1203 | From: West "By God" Virginia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnnyWayne
Contributor 2014
Member # 29314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnnyWayne   Email JohnnyWayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Family sticks together, right on [thumbsup]

--------------------
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 1235 | From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©