Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Robertson Stykbow
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mark Pitts

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Hunting knives (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Hunting knives
Ric O'Shay
Contributor 2014
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric O'Shay   Email Ric O'Shay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rule #9 -

Never go anywhere without a knife.

- Leroy Jethro Gibbs

[bigsmyl]

--------------------
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 2624 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i like vintage knives--this one is from the 40's

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 920 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2013
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only time I'm without a knife of some sort is on an airplane.

I misplaced my normal folding knife the other day and for almost 24 hours I felt like something was very, very wrong.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 1065 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4dogs
Contributor 2014
Member # 19996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4dogs   Email 4dogs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Every good American man should have three things on his person at all times..a knife..a pistol..and a hanky"

--------------------
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 1588 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DannyBows
Contributor 2013
Member # 11762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DannyBows   Email DannyBows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a 'knife system' when hunting as no one knife does it all, and I just love knives.

I ride a motorcycle daily so always have a backpack with me. The SOG in the lower left is always with me, as is the BK-11.

When hunting I carry the SOG, the BK-11 (third from top), and the BK-2 (second from top). The BK-9 (top) goes if I think I'll need to do some serious chopping, or might run into Bigfoot!

The bottom one is an JRJ and it's a favorite, I usually can't resist bringing it along hunting.

I'm ordering an Ontario Kukri today. I plan on doing some camping/bushcrafting this summer and it appears to be a great chopper/machete.

-

--------------------
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves". ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Posts: 3965 | From: Sayreville, New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2013
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are two of mine. The big Bowie is an Emerson CQC 13 and the more elegant, refined one is the Holy Grail for me, an Emerson Endeavor in brown G-10 scales #25. I always carry the CQC 13 with me and have used it on everything from squirrels to hogs. The Endeavor is new but I have a feeling its gonna see a lot of work in the coming hunting seasons.  - They are both CPM 154 and hone to a razors edge with ease.

--------------------
"A Fear Of Weapons Is A Sign Of Retarded Sexual And Emotional Maturity." Sigmund Freud

Posts: 6984 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Author's Homepage   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At times it's a quandary trying to decide which ones to carry... [dunno]

-

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter.
www.shrewbows.com

Posts: 4099 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lablover
Contributor 2014
Member # 17791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lablover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never leave home without a knife. Benchmade Mchenry & Williams everyday all day, and varity of belt knives when not at work. (city frowns on belt knives on its employees). Man Ron I need to raid your knife drawer. Bows and knives all a man needs.

--------------------
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Posts: 433 | From: Douglass, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopewell Tom
Contributor 2014
Member # 23301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopewell Tom   Email Hopewell Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never get tired of the knife threads.
I mostly wear overalls so have a Boker Walker design folder in my pocket and a new Fred Perrin necker(from Boker) whether in the yard or out stumping. I've been divesting myself of some knives, but still have too many.
Which is probably 2, right? You can only use one at a time so...
Okay, enough of that foolishness!
Those two I mentioned are the main ones for now, but another such thread introduced me to the Randall 25-5. I'm saving for one and hope to have it on the belt this hunting season. No overalls on the hunt, cargo pants, so always a belt(and suspenders, of course).

--------------------
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Posts: 1742 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basil_K
Member # 35844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basil_K   Email Basil_K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Becker knives. I used to carry a bk 11 daily but I now carry a fallkniven wm1 in its place.

I'll post some pics also when I'm off work.

Posts: 98 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2014
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely carry a knife except when hunting. In fact, I can hardly stand even carrying a wallet or anything else in my pockets. I've been inconvenienced many times by this failure.

I usually have two knives in my fanny or daypack; a fixed blade and a folder.

Like many here, I've field dressed a couple of deer with fixed blade broadheads because I didn't have a knife on me.

I've lost one knife, and "Old-Timer" pocket model by forgetting it was in my carry-on bag. I didn't have time to mail it home. I've also lost a 2-3 sets of allen wrenches the same way.

I like to look at knifes. I am usually successful in reminding myself that I have too many already. Unfortunately, while this works most of the time with knives, I'm not so good at listenting to self about recurve bows.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 4444 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too always have a knife on me. I have swiss army knife on my key ring.
Hiking or hunting I carry a spiderco folding knife in my pocket and a fixed blade knife in my pack. The fixed blade is every small and very sharp. Almost looks like kitchen paring knife. I can field dress a deer in about 5 minutes with it and take an elk down to game bags in about an hour....

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
black widow 60" PCH 55#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 3129 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually carry a simple folding knife when in the field but not hunting. My favorite is a Case Sodbuster, about as simple as it gets. Another common choice is CRKT folder model M16-03Z. When hunting I use Browning folder model 4018F or a Gerber C375 belt knife. I try never to go to the woods without a kinife or my Glock.

I have many other nice knives, but these are the go to choices.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 2034 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Buck   Email Uncle Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant imagine going into the woods ( or anywhere else) without a knife. I always carry at least one on me. My usual is a Case Copperlock but I switch them around as I have a lot of knives. When I get dressed up I have a AG Russell woodswalker that is scary sharp in the inside pocket of my suit coat.I use it alot in restaurants when they give me a dull serated steak knife. I have a bunch of hunting knives but the one I always wind up carriyng is a S&W drop point made in the mid 70's before. this was before everything went to China. Its funtional, sharp and almost indestructable. to top it all off its also a nice looking knife.
Posts: 515 | From: Canton Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisM   Email ChrisM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My large case trapper with CV balde goes with me everywhere and is all i need to skin anything in texas

--------------------
Gods greatest command: Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Posts: 1121 | From: Broaddus Texas | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©