Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Tusx Hunter
3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Zan Christensen

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Thunder child or BW PCH? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thunder child or BW PCH?
TradBrewSC
Contributor 2015
Member # 37182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TradBrewSC   Email TradBrewSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been a recurve shooter but have been thinking about trying out a longbow. I want a compact bow for ground blind use and have never been around a big Jim or a widow. What do you guys think? I am looking at a 56" for both, and have 27" draw. Thinking about #54 at 27"

--------------------
Morrison Cheyenee 58" 58#
Jeffery Royal Hunter 60" 56#
Jeffery Royal Hunter 62" 54#

Posts: 316 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldskool
Contributor 2014
Member # 14907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldskool   Email oldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PCH is a recurve. Best shooting bow I've ever shot

--------------------
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Posts: 766 | From: Galion Oh | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TradBrewSC
Contributor 2015
Member # 37182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TradBrewSC   Email TradBrewSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I've heard. I knew it was a recurve and a good one but had also heard good things about the thunder child as a hybrid style longbow. I have just never done much with a longbow. I also have never shot a recurve shorter than 60" for any period of time. Was just wanting some feedback on both bows

--------------------

Posts: 316 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldskool
Contributor 2014
Member # 14907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldskool   Email oldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was shooting a Black Widow PTF 62" 57@29. now have a PCHX 58 with 2 sets of limbs and shoot it better than any bow I've ever shot. I'll never get rid of it

--------------------
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Posts: 766 | From: Galion Oh | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2015
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I would go with the PCH, just a great all round bow.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 12265 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TradBrewSC
Contributor 2015
Member # 37182

Thanks for the input that's kinda what I was thinking, I worry about stability with those little longbows after I have been shooting TD recurves for so long. I have been shooting Jeffery recurves for years being that I am from Columbia sc, but have always wanted to try a widow.

--------------------

xtrema312
Contributor 2014
Member # 18854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtrema312   Email xtrema312   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PCH is a great bow. My favorite widow. Have not shot a Thunder Child, but hope to sometime. I love the Buffalo. I have a 58" PCH and the only thing I don't love is the standard grip. I shoot a lot of hybrids so I am going to keep looking for a low grip PCH. I have had a few Widows now and the PCH has been the easiest to get quiet for me.

--------------------
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 4040 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Widowdoublelung
Contributor 2014
Member # 35695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widowdoublelung   Email Widowdoublelung   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 56" pch and a 58". I had a 54" regret selling it. I also have a 58" KB and PA I love the one pieces. I should have a 54" KB not long after Christmas. My next purchase will be a 54" black and white ebony pch. Whichever you choose you will be super happy.

--------------------
Black River Stykbow 62" 51@28

Posts: 854 | From: MS | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjwaldman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjwaldman   Email jjwaldman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a 56" Thunderchild. It was a heck of a bow.
Posts: 270 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
Contributor 2015
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PCH is a nice bow,however, the spirit of a longbow may infect you.

Note: One of our most venerated archers wheeled a longbow.

The choice is both personal and individualistic.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 5068 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2015
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own a thunderchild, and have only tried a PCH. I am more of a longbow guy, but I by far prefer the thunderchild. Mine is definitely more quiet than the PCH that I tried. If you get a chance, you should shoot them both before deciding. As is almost always the case, as short bow will magnify form errors. Especially one with less mass. That being said, I think my thunderchild is pretty stable.
Posts: 4267 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy Cooper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy Cooper   Email Andy Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Friend:
The PCH is a nice bow,however, the spirit of a longbow may infect you.

Note: One of our most venerated archers wheeled a longbow.

The choice is both personal and individualistic.

My internet screen name for the last 15 years has been ACRecurve...and now I'm a huge longbow fan. Pays yo money, takes yo choice.

--------------------
[campfire] TGMM Family of the Bow [archer]

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Posts: 1107 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter N
Member # 29718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter N   Email Peter N   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both, and I like them the same, the TC is much more quiet and lighter to carry and BigJims`s craftsmanship is outstanding, the PCH is a little smother, but then again recurves usually are, and the sigthwindow is bigger, both are almost shockfree
and with a bowquiver totally shockfree, the speed seems the same, I have not put them under a chrono.
Bottom line is, I`ts a win-win.

Peter

Posts: 1 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Contributor 2014
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've owned both and if I could only have one of them, it would be the PCH. I am a longbow guy at heart, but every PCH I've had my hands on seemed to almost shoot itself. Super stable and easy to be accurate with. The TC doesn't seem to mesh well with me, I shot it fine and it is an outstanding bow, just didn't seem to fit. That's why not every bow is for every archer.

--------------------
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities. Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. " Dean Torges

Posts: 1687 | From: Hugo, Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesKerr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesKerr   Email JamesKerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never shot either the Big Jim Thunderchild or the PCH model Black Widow. I have shot most of the other models Black Widow makes and I have to say they are my favorite recurves. On the other hand I have never heard anything but positive reviews about a thunderchild and Big Jim is an artist with wood.

--------------------
James Kerr

Posts: 3605 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©