INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Adam Gehrke

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Mounted Some Tuffheads

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mounted Some Tuffheads
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently bought some 300 gr Tuffheads and corresponding field points,built some arrows and have been tuning them.
 -

Like others have said,the quality is excellent.They came as close to hunting sharp as any I've handled.The grinds are flat and true,points seem centered and ferrules true.They were easy to mount and align.I should add,I got my order in two days.

After I thought I had field points tuned,I mounted one broadhead and shot it off and on for a week,in and out of wind and it looked good so I honed them up.

I have a knife made from 420 HC stainless and it's a great steel.It sharpens and holds an edge like a good,carbon steel.These are at least as good.I used a KME broadhead sharpener and wet or dry sandpaper and grits from 400 to 2000 and then stropped on cardboard.It took a few minutes per head to get them straight razor sharp.Sharpening these is a joy.I'm hoping to get a chance to put them to the real test.For now,they are very high quality,fly well and sharpen easily.
 -

Posts: 3798 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wannabe1
Contributor 2014
Member # 7774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wannabe1   Email Wannabe1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look like they should get the job done! Congrats. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"TGMM" Family of the Bow.
"Good shoot Papa!" My son Robert after every shot I make whether good or bad.

Posts: 6901 | From: Albany, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sockrsblur
Contributor 2017
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow very impressive gear! Would you mind giving us a few stats for curiosity sake? What wt bow, spine arrow, target animal? Thanks just wondering, great head! Jim

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2078 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stalkin4elk
2017 Contributor
Member # 19028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stalkin4elk   Email stalkin4elk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also need some of these.
Are the double footings from Tuffhead or your own?
Sounds like the adapter strength is the weak link based on reports so what is inside yours?
They are surely first class BHs.

Posts: 505 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kris
Contributor 2015
Member # 12826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kris   Email Kris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a double outsert (aluminum arrows?) on those...interesting? Nice work.

Cool!

Kris

Posts: 1143 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onewhohasfun
Contributor 2015
Member # 15382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onewhohasfun   Email onewhohasfun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim, could you explain the double footing please.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 864 | From: holly,mi | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2017
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my first order of TuffHeads, I'll be watching this thread closely as I build my first dozen!
Thom

Posts: 1508 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first footing is a platinum 2013.The Tuffhead has a 23/64" ferrule and I was looking for a way to transition into that.I had some 2216 autumn orange shafts so I decided to go 1/2" on those.They wouldn't quite fit over the 2013 so I used a drill to ream out the 2216 with a 5/16" bit.That was pretty easy,only removed a tiny bit of metal and probably made better for epoxy to grab.They were beveled in a small drill press,with a mill file.

The 2013 is a fairly thin walled shaft but I've footed some arrows with it alone and made straight on hits on rocks and other bad stuff with no problems so far,so I'm not sure the second footing is needed for strength.I was mainly just doing it for the transition.The 2216 does mate up well with the 11/32" adapter and extends into the Tuffhead ferrule about 3/32".

The easiest part of the whole process was mounting,aligning and sharpening of the Tuffhead.

The heaviest thing I'm likely to get a shot at will be elk,but I have a stand with the potential for elk,deer,bear or mtn lion to come in.I don't switch gears easily so I like to build one setup and use it for everything.

Having said that.....I did also get some 250 gr VPA 3 blade.They are also extreme quality..I just haven'y got them mounted up yet.I expect that to go very easy as well.

Posts: 3798 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sockrsblur
Contributor 2017
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jim! Good stuff :)

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2078 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamselflyFarm
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamselflyFarm   Email DamselflyFarm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful (and deadly) arrows.

--------------------
Take care,
Jeff

Posts: 322 | From: Maine | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bigsmyl] that should do it!

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1325 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cari-bow
SPONSOR
Member # 3686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cari-bow   Author's Homepage   Email Cari-bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim
That edge has nice shine to it,or should I say polish. Nice job on the sharpening. I've taken moose, elk and deer with the Tuffheads. I know what I'm using next season.
Abe

--------------------
CARI-BOW

Posts: 258 | From: Manitoba Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Jim, looking good mate...looking good.

ak.

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2246 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blaino
2017 Contributor
Member # 7866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blaino   Email Blaino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine looking arrows JimB.

--------------------
"It's not the trophy ,but the race. It's not the quarry ,but the chase."

Posts: 1354 | From: West Columbia, SC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©