Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Stalker Stickbows
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mick Parks

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Ribtek broadheads? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ribtek broadheads?
Biathlonman
Contributor 2014
Member # 13332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biathlonman   Email Biathlonman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone still using Ribteks? I had a set years ago that I never used but liked. Always swore I would use them if I shot wood arrows, and I seem to be quickly moving that way! [Smile] . Just picked up two dozen 135gr. to give a try. Most of the search results were pretty old. I figure anything is fine for deer, anyone used them on bigger game?
Posts: 2148 | From: Lexington, Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brock
Contributor 2014
Member # 7061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brock   Email Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used them since I first saw them in catalog in 90s...actually just bought a bunch from the manufacturer in Australia.

I use 160gr and 190gr for mine...easy to sharpen, hold a good edge for long time...mount easy. I took mine on bear hunts, deer hunts, hog hunts, squirrels, and even nutria. LOL

I have two 6-packs in the St Judes Auction (1- 160 set and 1- 190 set)...and Kelly has some for sale as well if not mistaken.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=61;t=020164#000000

Bid on the ones in St Judes for the kids first....then buy all the ones Kelly has remaining too. [Smile] I think I have enough to last me twenty years...but may need to buy more. LOL

--------------------
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
"TGMM Family of the Bow"
PBS Assoc since 1988
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Posts: 1355 | From: Charleston, South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rock 'N Bow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock 'N Bow   Email Rock 'N Bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few of the 190 grain heads, and agree with everything Brock has to say about them. I would like to add that they are MASSIVE! I will be using them this upcoming deer season and think I will have no problems with penetration or blood trails. They are somewhat flexible so I don't know how well they will perform on bone hits on larger animals.

--------------------
Wapiti Spike Longbow 64" 58#@29"
Bear Grizzly 58" 55#@28"
Hoyt Dorado 60" 50#@28"
J.K. Traditions Kanati 58" 58#@29"
Fedora Xtreme Longbow 64" 52#@29"

Posts: 274 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Panzer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Panzer   Email Panzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is right the 190,s are huge, they look like spear points. I have some of those and a few 160,s left. Simmons and Ribtek are my favorite two blade heads.
Posts: 271 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biathlonman
Contributor 2014
Member # 13332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biathlonman   Email Biathlonman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone use the lighter ones?
Posts: 2148 | From: Lexington, Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brock
Contributor 2014
Member # 7061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brock   Email Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a 125 when I first tried them but went larger a year or two later.... used them on hunts for pheasants, rabbits, deer and nutria.

-

--------------------
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
"TGMM Family of the Bow"
PBS Assoc since 1988
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Posts: 1355 | From: Charleston, South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
juneaulongbow
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for juneaulongbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed a black bear with a 160 gr head.
Posts: 556 | From: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blaino
Contributor 2014
Member # 7866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blaino   Email Blaino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock 'N Bow:
I have a few of the 190 grain heads, and agree with everything Brock has to say about them. I would like to add that they are MASSIVE! I will be using them this upcoming deer season and think I will have no problems with penetration or blood trails. They are somewhat flexible so I don't know how well they will perform on bone hits on larger animals.

"flexible" - what does that mean?

--------------------
"It's not the trophy ,but the race. It's not the quarry ,but the chase."

Posts: 1113 | From: West Columbia, SC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kris
Contributor 2014
Member # 12826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kris   Email Kris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not larger than deer but I did shoot a heavy Wisconsin white-tail buck a few years back with a 190 Ribtek from top to bottomus and complete penetration, including the heart. The head is perfectly intact and will harvest more stuff.

You could gut & skin the same deer with a 190, they have so much blade length.

They sharpen easy, are simple in design and look nostalgic.

They get the job done. A fun head to try out and a unique departure from the norm!

Kris

Posts: 890 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rock 'N Bow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock 'N Bow   Email Rock 'N Bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blades tend to bend when some force is applied. This is due to the single layer construction.

--------------------
Wapiti Spike Longbow 64" 58#@29"
Bear Grizzly 58" 55#@28"
Hoyt Dorado 60" 50#@28"
J.K. Traditions Kanati 58" 58#@29"
Fedora Xtreme Longbow 64" 52#@29"

Posts: 274 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
Contributor 2014
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought them years ago when I saw a video of a guy shooting them into concrete blocks and they had just minor tip damage. I figured I would never hunt concrete blocks and have used them on and off ever since. I wish I could tell you I had gotten good results but I have yet to have shot at anything.....lol!

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 11455 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
SPONSOR
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them. Haven't shot anything with one yet, though.
I can get them really sharp in short order.
One of them will meet a Florida hog one of these days.

--------------------
True South Adventures Inc.

www.truesouthadventures.com

Posts: 2250 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best heads made, IMO. I like the ease of sharpening. And, they are tough. Never had issues with "flexibility".....the "crimp" in the blade keeps them from any flex, I think....

I've hit rocks and trees....can't think of ever having one come apart or bend beyond use. I did loose the very tip of one in a shoulder blade once....just a quarter inch or so.

I shot a 190 through a moose rib on this hunt and it stuck in the other side. Use a 65lb selfbow. I've killed a lot of other critters with them. I like the 190 best, and also the 160's.

-

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2025 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vig
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vig   Author's Homepage   Email Vig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had 2 more hands so I could give those broad heads 4 thumbs down.

Just my opinion of them.

--------------------
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Posts: 248 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock 'N Bow:
The blades tend to bend when some force is applied. This is due to the single layer construction.

I shot two of the 190s into a pile of bricks out of a 60# compount on a wood shaft total weight 675 grains.

I was testing the efficacy of using minwax wood hardener to "foot" the wood shaft.

First two photos are without the hardener. I have been told that my first two photos "prove" the problem of the ribtek on wood shafts. I, on the other hand, do not think this would happen on game even a shoulder bone. This arrow was moving at close to 200 fps and was stopped dead and bounced back off the bricks.

-

-

These next two are of a head shot under the same circumstances as the first but the first three inches of the shaft had been hardened by soaking for a couple hours in minwax wood hardener. I don't think this head would have bent or the shaft broken but for the fact that the brick pile was loose and the hit was on an angled brick near the bottom of the pile. A solid concrete wall would have been ideal but did not want to shoot at the foundation of my house. [Eek!]

-

-

I have been using the 190s off and on for a few years now but have not killed game with one so have no comments in that dept.

Plan on getting some 200 gr grizzleys but will also use the ribteks.

--------------------
monterey
----------------------------------
You may think you can or think you can't...either way, you are right

Posts: 888 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©