JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Surewood Shafts
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Daniel Binkley's Nephews
Ben, Dylan and Ryan!
Havin' Great Fun!

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Slide on/strap on quivers? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Slide on/strap on quivers?
jkm97
Contributor 2014
Member # 38648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkm97   Email jkm97   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many if you guys use them? Does their resting on the limb have any effect on performance?

--------------------
Black Widow PSA
Goldtip Traditionals
Simmons Treesharks

Posts: 467 | From: East Central Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
Contributor 2014
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Kanati dual arc improves my bow. It balances better, shoots more quiet, shoots smoother, and is more steady in my hand. As for limb performance, it has no effect on arrow speed or the tuning of my bow that I have noticed. One of the things I like the best about the Dual Arc is that you can tune the quiver to your bow to adjust for balance, contact points, cant of arrow, and placement of hood.
 -

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - footed, 574gr, 21.2% FOC

Posts: 634 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkm97
Contributor 2014
Member # 38648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkm97   Email jkm97   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Can't decide whether to go with some kinda strap on or a cat quiver...

--------------------
Black Widow PSA
Goldtip Traditionals
Simmons Treesharks

Posts: 467 | From: East Central Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2014
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since both types rest on the fades, before the working part of the limbs (if attached correctly) there should be no difference in performance. As for balance and the "feel", some like it and some don't. I like the convenience myself, I tend to carry too much stuff on my back to add a quiver.
Posts: 3820 | From: Michigan/Colorado | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountain lion
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountain lion   Email mountain lion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like my Greatnorthern strap on quiver, and as long as you keep it below the limb fade outs it won't have any affect. That's what my bowyer told me. Take care

--------------------
Wild Horse Creek kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 397 | From: Lancaster, Kansas | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archie
Contributor 2014
Member # 13795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie   Email Archie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could be like me... and use both!

If you put the straps on a non-working part of the limb, you'll be fine. I took a bolt-on quiver and made a strap-on system for it that works extremely well and looks sharp, too. I prefer that setup, but at times use a bolt-on (on my recurve, which has inserts), or a Catquiver.

--------------------
"The problem with quotes and other information obtained on the internet is that it is difficult to determine whether that information is genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

66" Black Widow PLX 48# @ 31"
64" Black Widow PMA3 49#, 56#, & 68# @ 31"

Posts: 1386 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zippercurve
Contributor 2014
Member # 34463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zippercurve   Author's Homepage   Email zippercurve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fr a strap-on or bolt-on, it's tough to beat Bill Dunns (Zipper) quivers. He can even make one to match your bows wood

--------------------
Tyler C. Moore

Posts: 825 | From: North Andover, Massachusetts / Acton, Maine | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caughtandhobble
Contributor 2014
Member # 35669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caughtandhobble   Email Caughtandhobble   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best advice that I can offer is hunt like you practice. If you have the quiver on before season leave it on during season. All of my bows shoot around four inches to the left with a quiver on them, verses shooting without a quiver.

I have shot thru a chronograph with the strap on quiver then take it off with the same exact results. Like mentioned above keep the quiver close to the riser and off the working part of the limbs.

Posts: 1245 | From: TX | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC   Email LC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take several newspapers and tape them together on a flat surface to make a big lay out pattern. String your bow up, lay it on the newspaper and trace out the outline on the back side. Now unstring it and lay it back up following those same lines. I'll bet you'll be surprised how far it bends "in the fade outs"!

IF YOUR QUIVER IS ATTACHED IN A WORKING AREA OF YOUR BOW then yes it will affect how it shoots. Sometimes it helps but most times it hurts.

MOST bow quivers end up mounted in the working part if you do the math.

--------------------
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Posts: 1017 | From: Morgantown, WV | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimB
Contributor 2014
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No bow quiver should ever be mounted "resting on the limbs".They should never be mounted on the "working" limb.All tuning should be done with the quiver mounted,arrows installed,just as in a hunting situation.
Posts: 3394 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Over&Under
Contributor 2014
Member # 8273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Over&Under   Email Over&Under   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see so many bows with slide on ir strap on quivers installed above the fade outs...this will not only effect performance, but could very well harm or damage the bow.

Installed properly, I have seen no affects on performance.

--------------------
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss" [Smile]

Posts: 6650 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
okla bearclaw
SPONSOR
Member # 26001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okla bearclaw   Author's Homepage   Email okla bearclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Northern strapon for me when I use a bow quiver

--------------------
www.thenockingpoint.com

Posts: 1767 | From: Log cabin in Osage county Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dry Creek
Contributor 2014
Member # 9484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dry Creek   Email Dry Creek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle I have a EFA that you can try and see if you like it.

--------------------
Craig

Posts: 406 | From: Central Mississippi | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchymanny
Contributor 2014
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchymanny   Email Frenchymanny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my huntin' bow with a Big Jim quiver on it, med sized:

-
I like it! [Smile]

F-Manny

--------------------
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 70@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 2488 | From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkm97
Contributor 2014
Member # 38648

quote:
Originally posted by Dry Creek:
Kyle I have a EFA that you can try and see if you like it.

I'll try and come by and check it out.

--------------------
Black Widow PSA
Goldtip Traditionals
Simmons Treesharks

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©