Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
JOIN TRAD GANG
Sponsor Highlight of the Week ...
Trad Bowhunting & Wilderness Podcast
3Rivers Archery

Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Kelly

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Black and white ebony veneer affect performance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black and white ebony veneer affect performance?
Fanto
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanto   Email Fanto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day all

Just waiting my turn for a caribow.

I'd like to get black and white ebony limb veneers, just wondering if anyone has experience with this timber and whether the high weight affects limb performance I.e. speed or hand shock?

Thanks

Posts: 252 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abe* ought to be able to tell you, he's building it. South Cox at Stalker Stickbow would also have insight. Or maybe Roman at Hill Country bows. I believe the word is from what other TGers have said, it affects it a small bit, but nothing silly, what's a couple feet per second? Some say it doesnt affect it at all. Most people are thrilled with the beautiful look of that wood enough not to care about 2-3fps, if its even that. Hope someone who owns one will reply for you. Email South, very nice guy.

--------------------
"An ash I know standing, called Yggdrasil, a high tree sprinkled with shining drops...standing ever green over the well of Honour."---Völuspá

Stewart Slammers
Java Man Elkheart
Habu Vyperkahn

Horse Creek TAC- Calvary, GA
TBOF
MS Trad' Bowhunters

Posts: 4784 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VictoryHunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VictoryHunter   Email VictoryHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X2 for South, he is awesome!

--------------------
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Posts: 2120 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robertfishes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robertfishes   Email Robertfishes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No experience with it..but I have used macassar ebony, cocobolo and several other rosewoods for veneers..my veneers are usually less than 025 thick and often around 020 thick. I don't think you will have a problem, your bowyer has an excellent reputation and the bows of his I have seen were very nice!
Posts: 2915 | From: Ocala , Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I've noticed, as long as the veneers are kept thin, and the core is of a good performing wood, bamboo, or carbon, (although I've never used carbon) the decorative stuff doesn't really come into play. But it doesn't help performance any either, just adds appearance.

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
Minidoka Bowmen
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 1683 | From: Rupert Idaho | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Dutchman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flying Dutchman   Email Flying Dutchman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veneers are veneers, just cosmetic. Thy won't affect the performance of your bows, no matter what wood it is.
Theoretically, adding weight to limbs would affect performance, but as already told here, te effect is ignorable.
You could ask Abe too of course....

--------------------
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [Roll Eyes]
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Posts: 1950 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gringol
Contributor 2014
Member # 34789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gringol   Email gringol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mathematically, veneer material makes a difference. Then again, mathematically you should be able to hear a mouse fart from 3,000 miles away...

Caribows are great. You'll be very happy with whatever wood you go with.

Posts: 1610 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixby
SPONSOR
Member # 14586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sixby   Email Sixby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to some it matters and to some it doesn't. Atleast that is what seems to be the answer here.
If you are completely about performance , it matters/ If not then no.
You get different answers from different bowyers due to the fact that to some losing a couple of fps is not a big deal/ However if you lose a couple here and a couple there then it can go from being a top performance bow to a mediocre performing bow. With Abe you needn't worry about it , just go with what he says.

God bless, Steve

--------------------
http://eaglewingarchery.i8.com/
EAGLEWING ARCHERY

Posts: 2760 | From: Medford, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamike
Contributor 2014
Member # 34368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamike   Email pamike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told that yes it does make a small difference to yes it makes a pretty big diff - BUT I keep getting it cause it is beautiful!!!

--------------------
HABU Vyperkahn
Elkmaster
Eagle Wing
Kwyk Styk
Silvertip LB
Hill Country Bobcat
Sasquatch SS
ACS
Big Jim Desert Bighorn

Posts: 2410 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Bonner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Bonner   Email Dan Bonner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't tell much difference from any other bows I have built. If it has more white it will be lighter in mass weight. Royal ebony which is what I have used is pretty light in mass weight compared to any other ebony species. The stuff I used wasn't much heavier than maple or walnut. If you like it, go for it!

Bonner

Posts: 487 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanto
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanto   Email Fanto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks gentlemen!

I will talk it over with Abe, but my heart is set on it so ill go for it. I shoot heavy h ting arrows so a few Fps isn't any concern. 10% would be a concern but it seems 1-2% is the actual impact so all good

Cheers

Posts: 252 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cari-bow
SPONSOR
Member # 3686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cari-bow   Author's Homepage   Email Cari-bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fanto
If the B/W ebony made 2 ft per sec difference you still won't know it was the ebony or not. There is that much difference maybe 3-4 ft from bow to bow. That's if you keep everything the same. With veneers .020-.025 the type of wood won't make much of a difference.B/W is not as heavy as some of the other ebony's. It has great contrast and I would use it in my bow and some day I will have one. So many woods so little time.
Abe

--------------------
CARI-BOW

Posts: 212 | From: Manitoba Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanto
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37034

Thanks Abe! Can't wait!
Danny Rowan
Contributor 2015
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two of Abe's bows that have B/W ebony vaneers on the limbs, an Slynx and a Silver Fox and a Schafer Silvertip recurve that also has B/W ebony vaneers. I have owned a bunch of bows in my life and most all of them had some type of exoctic wood limb vaneer from macasser ebony to angel fire maple, I noticed no loss of performance on any of them.

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7169 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanto
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37034

cheers danny

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©