3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two! (Page 307)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 312 pages: 1  2  3  ...  304  305  306  307  308  309  310  311  312   
Author Topic: HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two!
gatradbow
Member # 46420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatradbow   Email gatradbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a 5'8 man and 24 inch draw what Hill style bow and brand do you recommend? Thanks
Posts: 19 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Van Dort
CONTRIBUTOR 2018 - Mod
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Van Dort   Email Tony Van Dort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Stephen,

Trad Gang has a great many sponsors that have earned a solid reputation for quality Hill-style bows and those sponsors can guide you through the many options that may apply to your needs and desires.

You will undoubtedly get at least a dozen different recommendations from a dozen different members here....and they will all be right!

Just sit back and absorb what you can...ask questions and get answers.

Good luck on your search! [archer]

Tony

Posts: 2294 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatradbow
Member # 46420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatradbow   Email gatradbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tony!
Posts: 19 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would this be your first Hill style bow? And if it is, have you watched this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rel4Q_VT_Fo
While there are a number of different available bows, the time line may be consideration or not, some have bows on hand. You may end up with a 62" or a 64" depending on where your form stabilizes with a longbow.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Learner   Email Learner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gatradbow:
For a 5'8 man and 24 inch draw what Hill style bow and brand do you recommend? Thanks

Hello Stephen:

As Tony mentioned, there are many excellent bowyers here who build ASL bows. There are some I'd eventually like to own.

But my first two I ordered from Howard Hill Archery, owned by Craig Ekins and his family. Years ago, his father Ted was in business with the legendary Howard Hill, and when Mr. Hill got out of the manufacturing business, Ted was granted the right to keep producing bows based on Howard's designs. When Ted passed on, Craig inherited the business. He is the master bowyer there.

Craig will give you good advice and build a bow to your exact needs.

Something of which you may or may not be aware: your draw length with a Hill style ASL will generally be an inch to an inch and a half shorter than with a comparable recurve bow.

Something else to keep in mind: if you have a bow built to a very short draw length, it could take a while to sell it if you ever decide to get rid of it (I've seen this happen in the classifieds of another site). So you could always have a bow built to a more standard draw (27" or longer"), but at a weight higher than you would want. So lets say that you'd want a bow to draw 50# @ 24": you could order it as 58# @ 27", which would give you around 50# at your draw length. Someone then who wanted a 27" draw could then later buy it from you, and be able to safely achieve their draw length of 27" wihout overdrawing it.

Best wishes,
Frank

--------------------
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Posts: 232 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try again after I read some instructions

-

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatradbow
Member # 46420

That's all very good advice. This would be my first Hill Style Bow. So far I've only shot Recurves and short R/D longbows but I'm always looking to try something new.
Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Learner   Email Learner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pavan:
Let me try this flicky thing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150815646@N03/shares/H687m7

Larry, the link which you used for this photo does not allow it to be embedded here in your post. Instead it is only taking us to your flickr gallery. An embedded photo link must end with a .jpg extension, or something similar. (Also not certain that a https link will work; it may have to be just http).

Try this: on tbe lower right side of your photo screen on flickr is a lttle right twist arrow. Click that, and hopefully there is some way to get a proper link for embedded posting into a forum.

Best wishes,
Frank

--------------------

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Posts: 232 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Okay imgur is way easier than that flicky thing.
 -

--------------------
Pavan

Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

quote:
Originally posted by pavan:
Okay imgur is way easier than that flicky thing.
 -

Yes, it is.

Also, when you embed a photo from Imgur you can choose the BBcode link, which allows direct pasting into a post without the need to use the "image" link button here in tbe forums.

Best wishes,
Frank

--------------------

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll love that handle leather also! Same as on mine. He has been busy!

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 889 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Getting ready for MONDAY, I set up three 55 pound Acme cedars as a start to net length to the lead corner of a 125, 145 and 160 grain field point. I adjusted the shaft lengths so the lead corner of each came exactly 26%1/4". I shot them out my current go to dual shooter Berry that is 3/8" outside of center, with my wife watching the arrow flight. She said, "how can i see what your draw length is from behind you." I said, "Don't worry about it, I can feel it." I shot all three arrows from 20 yards over and over and she swore they all flew the same, perfect. I hate it when that happens, there should have been a clear winner. Dang net length arrows anyway.

--------------------
Pavan

Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

Larry, that's because your form is so good!

I remember reading how Howard would take arrows of different spine, length, etc, from various archers at a shoot, and then shoot them all very well. (It might have been in Craig's book, but I've also read it on the forums.)

Anyway, to me that illustrates the point that with ASLs and wood arrows, tuning is not as critical as one might assume.

Best wishes,
Frank

--------------------

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larry, I'll second Frank's notion about your form being good. Nate's bows prefer a stiff arrow but shoot a wide spine range if you do your part.

Every now and then I get into a tuning tizzy trying to micro-tune arrows and then ultimately realize I am wasting my time because my form is not as consistent as I need.

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 889 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently started tuning my Wesley special forward handle. 64" 50@28.
As mentioned before getting the nock under my eye seems to be essential to my accuracy .
I notice tho in cavalcade of archery Mr hill seems to have his draw hand and therefore the nock off to the side of his cheek rather than under the eye.
Any thoughts on that?.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 915 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 312 pages: 1  2  3  ...  304  305  306  307  308  309  310  311  312   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©