3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Steven "memo" Dimitrakellis

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two! (Page 308)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 310 pages: 1  2  3  ...  305  306  307  308  309  310   
Author Topic: HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two!
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hill wrote that his arrow travels from right to left in his sight line. He anchored past the corner of his mouth with the bow canted. The further one is from the target the less degree that will appear to be. With bows that are less center shot, I cant the bow more. When Hill wrote that his bows were not at all center shot, they never were center shot, probably in his pre-fiberglass days. He added the little leather foots as an arrow rest because his bows did not have much if any sight window cut outs. Staying away from that silly paradox theory stuff, Hill acknowledged his arrow position, according to his writing, although John Schulz said that he never taught that to him in the 50s. I suppose that over time the secondary 'imaginary' aiming point becomes instinctive, but over time the normal hand/eye coordination subconsciously develops a similar familiar visual framework.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5747 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read much on Howard, suppose I should.
Did he have a solid anchor, doesn't seem so from the videos I've watched.
I guess he was just "one with the bow " as it were.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 844 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a lot more persnickety exactness to his shooting than the videos suggest. i was told, years ago, that he sometimes missed and would simply shrug it off. I wonder what was called a miss. Something like, "I was shooting at the bumble bee's head, I missed and hit him in the butt."

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5747 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Learner   Email Learner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pavan:
......I wonder what was called a miss. Something like, "I was shooting at the bumble bee's head, I missed and hit him in the butt."

LOL!!!

[thumbsup]

--------------------
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Posts: 231 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeNova
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeNova   Email MikeNova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opening day here on the 15th! Anyone else going to be out in the woods with a hill bow this month?
Posts: 436 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a lot of videos in the pioneers and legends forum ...you can go and see exactly how he shot.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30438 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

I must have this Imac set up wrong, the quick time player won't open them, I have almost all of the Hill films on vcr and dvd anyway.

--------------------
Pavan

kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That I will do Terry.
Mike I'm taking my Wesley special out starting Aug 30th. Was planning on using a recurve again this year but man now that my hill is tuned I can't put it down.
I'm just struggling with bow quiver vs no bow quiver

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 844 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ari_Bonn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my full Hill set up. String follow and a proper hill back quiver. Quick to line up a shot and quick to get another just incase. Perfect for hunting.

-

--------------------
Current:
Two Tracks: 70" Echo 50#

Ravenbeak: 72" English longbow 48#

Posts: 121 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

a long tube came today. In it was two bow strings, two files with safety edges, my very favorites that I was having a very hard time finding.
 -

--------------------
Pavan

two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon..... reports???? How does it shoot for you? Pictures!!!!

I think you will like that serving also....

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 885 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

and also this
 -

--------------------
Pavan

pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

-

--------------------
Pavan

pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

I should have waited until my wife gets home with the better camera, these are just from my tracfone. But I gotta go shoot some arrows.
 -

--------------------
Pavan

pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

My test arrows. 1 28" bop 1918 with a 145 grain target point. 1 27" bop 1918 with a one piece ferrule and a glue-on 160 grain target point. 1 65 Acme cedar cut 27" bop 190 grain field point. 1 58 pound tapered Surewood cut to 27" bop 160 grain point. 1 53 pound Acme with a 160 point cut to net length 26&1/4" at the lead corner of the field point. 1 47 pound spine Wapiti tapered cedar cut to 27" bop with a 145 grain field point. This is from the above bow, and 20 yards. Not bragging about the group, but the fact that the group was done with above arrows and I cannot tell if any of them fly bad, they all looked stable and straight in flight. My neighbor said, 'you should take a picture of one those piles of arrows.' I was using his younger eyes for a second opinion on the arrow flight, he did with my phone. I have some serious doubts about arrow flight and tuning issues, I wonder if we make too much out of it at times. But oh my does this pretty stick throw arrows pretty.

-
 -
 -

--------------------
Pavan

This topic comprises 310 pages: 1  2  3  ...  305  306  307  308  309  310   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©