3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two! (Page 309)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 312 pages: 1  2  3  ...  306  307  308  309  310  311  312   
Author Topic: HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two!
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is truly an amazing shooting bow. I am so spoiled.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5861 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew you would like it! The dual shelf is unique.

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 889 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stik&string
Contributor 2015
Member # 18418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stik&string     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gone the one bow route, and find that shooting only my Legendstick my accuracy has improved. It was tough at first to go from about 30 ASLs to one, but I'm glad I did. Now I buy and if I think the "new" bow has enough to replace my old bow, I send the old one packing, if it doesn't someone gets a good deal on a bow! Beautiful bow Pavan!
Posts: 949 | From: WI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green
Contributor 2016
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Larry!

--------------------
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Posts: 3365 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Learner
Contributor 2017
Member # 45308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Learner   Email Learner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great shooting with that new bow, Larry. You are entitled to brag!

Frank

--------------------
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Posts: 232 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bragging because I wasn't really aiming. Aiming at nocks already in the target can cause lazy eye and lots of broken nocks. I sort of look at gaps in between stuff or individual arrow holes. It is a big target, so I spread the love around a bit. Now if I get my hands on someone good witha video camera and especially adding a good coin tosser, the ones that can tossed the coin so good that they can toss in front of an on coming arrow, then, I will be bragging. But truth be told, it is all up to the coin tosser and he or she is the one that should be bragging. You have to be exceptional to be able to hit a moving arrow with a coin.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5861 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

A buckskinner that lives in a teepee part of the year is coming over for a bow and some arrows. I am not sure whether he would prefer my pig nut hickory, my 70" Kodiak Special or something else like one of my other longbows. He is a strong slim guy that cuts down trees with hand tools and builds stuff with only hand tools, just for the work and the challenge. I am thinking that he may have a longer draw than me, he is about 5'11". I am thinking he may go for the pig nut, but I may need to adjust it to a longer draw and lighter pull weight.

--------------------
Pavan

RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my Dale Phillips Nodebow, next to my Kimsha Mattawoman II. Some people have called my Mattawoman a Hill bow because of the strung profile, but Id consider it a hybridized Hill influenced bow or something along those lines, though I havent actually confirmed this with Tom at Kimsha.

I guess Dale Phillips was a bowyer for Howard Hill back in the late '40s or early '50s. The Nodebow is 3 bamboo lams with a walnut riser. I got it from Tom Parsons. It was a lefty, Tom told me to cut it into a righty. My geometry of the new sight window isnt exactly like the original, and my new grip came out a bit off center, but it shoots great.

It has some string follow; I think thats the right term.

You can see what looks like Hill style broadheads in the emblem.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That node bow is pretty darn cool!!

The Kimsha is a mild deflex-reflex that braces to a D shape. They are sweet. Call me not a purist but as much as I enjoy Hill bows I love a good mild D/R bow.

--------------------
54" Java Man Helms Deep
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Cleland Stickbow
62" W&W Black Wolf + Uukha EX1's
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7109 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah just a casual glance at the Kimsha bows braced profile seems like a D, thats what gets people, along with the almost straight grip shape. I think I am starting to like the true Hill bows, Just need to find a lighter draw. That 58# gets heavy with lots of shooting, as I discovered when I went and shot Sawmill this year. Maybe need about 43# or so.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 43# @ 29" Mattawoman, just a great shooter and a favorite of mine.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15810 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That lower limb looks like it has a bit of a hinge to it? Or is it the pictures?

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 889 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

I think its the angle of the picture coupled with the shape of the bamboo at one of the nodes. Ive noticed it too, but it seems to shoot just fine. When drawn, the tiller seems the even out, with that spot being a bit stiffer to compensate.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
USMC 2005-2010

MnFn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MnFn   Email MnFn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pavan:
[QB] Hill wrote that his arrow travels from right to left in his sight line. He anchored past the corner of his mouth with the bow canted. The further one is from the target the less degree that will appear to be. With bows that are less center shot, I cant the bow more. When Hill wrote that his bows were not at all center shot, they never were center shot, probably in his pre-fiberglass days. He added the little leather foots as an arrow rest because his bows did not have much if any sight window cut outs. Staying away from that silly paradox theory stuff, Hill acknowledged his arrow position, according to his writing, although John Schulz said that he never taught that to him in the 50s. I suppose that over time the secondary 'imaginary' aiming point becomes instinctive, but over time the normal hand/eye coordination subconsciously develops a similar

Re: "with bows that are less center shot, I cant the bow more"

Good tip Paven. I tried that with my Morning Star yesterday and it seemed to help.

--------------------
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella" Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Posts: 2042 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any Hill Kills?

Been chasing skwerls, groundhogs here!

Posts: 2340 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 312 pages: 1  2  3  ...  306  307  308  309  310  311  312   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©