3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Charles Carnahan

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two! (Page 310)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 311 pages: 1  2  3  ...  307  308  309  310  311   
Author Topic: HH BUG GOT ME - Part Two!
kevsuperg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsuperg   Email kevsuperg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frank bullitt:
Any Hill Kills?

Been chasing skwerls, groundhogs here!

Hold tight, whitetail opens Aug 30 and elk opens Sept 6. I'll keep ya posted on how the Wesley special does.

--------------------
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA, RMEF

Posts: 873 | From: Spirit lake, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a bunch of shots, 12 or so, at one critter at 18 or 20 yards. Clean misses every shot. It got to where I would have felt bad if I hit him. I tend to get a little personal sometimes. I strained my shoulder and elbow fighting with my larger combination ladder and was advised to not do anything like paint my house or shoot bow for a couple of weeks. My critter friend will be safe for a while, But bunny and dove season is coming, I will lay off my 300 arrows a day ritual, but my injuries are lift related, not the bow pulling tendons, so I will get after those on cooler days.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just gave up the best right hand only bow that I have ever owned, my 60@27 68" custom lay up yew/bamboo Hill blank. I found someone that could shoot it.
 -

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5793 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
Contributor 2017
Member # 17084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Clandinin   Email Steve Clandinin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's get this back on my the first page where it truly belongs. Shooting lots lately with my Chek-Mate yew golden hawk given to me as a present from my wife back in the mid 80s have had many. asls over the years but there's just something about this bow,I can't explain it.its way heavier than I like to shoot but it seams Ido shoot it well.its way to hot up here in Sask right now and still so many crops standing.hopefully cool weather is coming and we can get hunting.

--------------------
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Posts: 3049 | From: Sask. Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Steve an odd request, if you don't mind. Years ago I had the chance to shoot a Chek-Mate recurve at the Sioux City trad shoot. Guys were standing around talking about how good the Chek-Mates shot. This particular one was like a longer version of a Bear Grizzly. No Grizzly ever shot that good, they were right. I am not familiar with a yew longbow Chek-Mate and am curious what they look like.

--------------------
Pavan

Steve Clandinin
Contributor 2017
Member # 17084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Clandinin   Email Steve Clandinin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pavan.I used to live in Abbotsford BC where Chek-mate was located.a real good friend of mine owned an archery shop in Abbotsford and was a very close friend of the original owners Dorothy and Larry .I spent many evenings with Ron in chek-mates shop watching them build bows.I think over the years I owned every model they made.For the price they built the best bows ever rivalling all the top names.They made 3 models of longbows the only difference being the handle configuration.The golden hawk was their true Hill style bow ,that I have.My wife ordered it through my buddy for a Christmas present 3 lams of Yew with a pres. Bubinga riser and clear glass.Man that thing shoots.Back in the late 80's I got a Hill big 5 at 71#s my chk-mate is 64# ,the chek-mate totally outshot the hill.Now I have a little trouble with that much weight but she still shoots lights out for me.There recurves came in many styles and even their lowest price bows were excellent shooters.There 3 piece Hunter and hunter 2 and 3 were as good or better than the top end bows being built today at 1/2 the price .Its a shame they retired.

--------------------
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Posts: 3049 | From: Sask. Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ari_Bonn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm I wonder if Mark will still make a golden hawk. I was just talking to him the other day. Maybe a Hill bow with foam imagine that.

--------------------
Current:
Two Tracks: 70" Echo 50#

Ravenbeak: 72" English longbow 48#

Posts: 145 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
Contributor 2017
Member # 17084

Hey Ari, I'm sure Mark has the forms,you,d have to ask him. Mine was built before Mark worked at Chekmate.

--------------------

Ari_Bonn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negative, just talked to Mark. Him and Larry cannibalized it longtime ago for a different form.
Apparently the demand just died down too much once the r/d design came out.

You talking about Ron Boormnan by chance?

The bow Pavan is talking about might be the "Falcon" which is supposed to be ultra smooth.

--------------------
Current:
Two Tracks: 70" Echo 50#

Ravenbeak: 72" English longbow 48#

Posts: 145 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
Contributor 2017
Member # 17084

Ari,Iwas talking about Ron Cook who used to own Eagle Archery in Abbotsford. Ron Boorman is another old friend of mine for 40plus years.I,ve got hunting pics on his wall. If your ever in there say hi to Ron and Bill for me.Great people.

--------------------

CHENRYIV
Contributor 2014
Member # 35230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHENRYIV   Email CHENRYIV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted in a while, but I was blessed on our season opener on Sept 9th, with this rear 10pt still in velvet. Normally by opening season they rubbed it all off

64" JD Berry Vixen, Surewood shaft & Ace Broadhead

-

-

--------------------
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 287 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
Contributor 2017
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow nice buck!

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 627 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool buck, Crispin!

Good shootin to ya!

Posts: 2317 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2017
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frank bullitt:
Any Hill Kills?

Been chasing skwerls, groundhogs here!

Last weekend:

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 2035 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2017
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crispin - that's a great buck and an awesome picture. Congrats!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 2035 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 311 pages: 1  2  3  ...  307  308  309  310  311   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©