3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Hog Wild @ Wild Things '13 - the Truth and nuthin' but the Truth (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Hog Wild @ Wild Things '13 - the Truth and nuthin' but the Truth
wapiti792
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapiti792   Email wapiti792   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was supposed to be there but signed up for the St Jude's Marathon which got promptly canceled...oh well probably saved me a heart attack but COST me a hunt with this crew [Smile]

Can't wait for the stories boys [campfire]

--------------------
Mike Davenport

Posts: 3163 | From: Southern IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suburbanirma
SPONSOR
Member # 9621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suburbanirma   Email suburbanirma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great team photo, Thom! Let me say that this group of men was a most pleasant, interesting, caring and sharing bunch. Some really good yarn spinners with great senses of humor. Glad to have been there for Hog Wild Hunt #1. I had a great time, ate too well and certainly would like to do it again. I have a pic to share of the strategizing session held the evening before the start of the hunt.
 -

--------------------
www.tradarchersworld.com

Posts: 789 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 1

I was the first dropped off. I hunted just N/E of the new camp. The wind was hard to figure. I had to reverse course and set out in a different direction than originally planned. There was a hardwood stand encircled by mature pines. With acorns falling I thought it would be a good spot to check. Upon hitting the pines I saw a good trail. Plenty of fresh tracks to follow on the well worn dirt. I had been on this trail before at Andrew's property. I knew it led to the swamp. I followed it for a while until the tracks were fewer. Figuring the hogs left the trail I set out to find the hardwood stand and the patches of river cane set among the forest floor.

Sign was aplenty. Some old. Some relatively fresh. Some probably only hours old. I maneuvered my way to the hardwood stand hoping to find loads of fresh rooting as the acorns were everywhere. Surprisingly the only thing working these acorns were squirrels. I sat a while hoping a deer might meander by, but the only thing I saw, other than squirrels, were two turkey.

As lunchtime approached I started stalking my way back towards camp. I came upon two fresh wallows not far from where I was dropped off earlier. There was also plenty of sign of rut activity. I have never seen more scrapes made by bucks in three days of hunting.

No hogs on the morning hunt.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to all that's about to come.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5343 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VictoryHunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VictoryHunter   Email VictoryHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Posts: 2152 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nattybumppo
Contributor 2016
Member # 35027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nattybumppo   Email Nattybumppo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

First and foremost let me say something. I've not been around here long or a whole lot. I only recently met some of the people you guys hold dearly here and I am honored to have done so.

I've been hunting Andrew Harper's lands since sometime in 1999 including being apart of the lease BEFORE Terry and the guys got what they called the bacon strip. Andrew, his cousin Doug and I quite frankly may be related we know so many of the same people and have run around that country for so long...

In any case back on topic...

There is no place like Wild Things Lodge and Estill, SC. Here's a view that I truly enjoyed from drinking coffee to drinking whiskey.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Posts: 302 | From: GA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bel007
2017 Contributor
Member # 21385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bel007   Email Bel007   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And nine fellers stepped off into the woods in pursuit of something wild....

This would be my third trip into the woods of South Carolina's most beautiful landscape. The new camp was a treat to explore during the evening after we arrived. It features a bunk house that reminded me more of a vacation cottage and a main house that made you want to move right in and settle down into a southern retreat from the busy world you just left.

We were near the last to arrive and everyone piled out to welcome us and help us carry in out gear. I could tell right away this group was going to be fun to share the adventure with.

--------------------
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Posts: 1517 | From: Marion Illinois | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nattybumppo
Contributor 2016
Member # 35027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nattybumppo   Email Nattybumppo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day one for me- I have enjoyed hunting the low country for years. I've never killed a hog in the morning so after listening to a FEW of these guys SNORE LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE!!! I slept in a bit. Or rather drug myself out of bed and over to breakfast... Then gradually made my way about. Andrew took Thom and I out last and dropped us off at the Turkey Foot. Thom took the center road and I the right.

I saw hog sign fresh, old, massive and light the whole road for the most part. Wallows, rubbed trees, tracks, rooting. To me it looked like the hogs were feeding mainly on acorns. And I kind of stayed on that line the whole weekend.

Towards the end of the road out to white oak stand I spotted my quarry. He was a nice one. Feeding along the edge of the road and without a care in the world.

I made my stalk. Perfect wind, light, not a sound. He just fed. Never looked up. At 10 yards or rather there abouts I got to full draw and released. I KNEW I had picked the exact hair, just perfectly in the boiler room.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I missed.

A boone and crockett... Grey Squirrel.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Posts: 302 | From: GA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bel007
2017 Contributor
Member # 21385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bel007   Email Bel007   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appetizers of humus, cheese dip, crackers, summer sausage and veggies arrived on a table by a toasty outdoor fire while our host, Andrew Harper, put the finishing touches on baked chicken, roasted taters, and carrots for a welcome dinner. A few beverages helped everyone get acquainted and the stories began flowing. Bows appeared from trunks and cases and the bow rack began overflowing. The evening stretched on as plans for the morning took shape. I would be heading for my old favorite area… the mile of pines.

--------------------
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Posts: 1517 | From: Marion Illinois | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suburbanirma
SPONSOR
Member # 9621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suburbanirma   Email suburbanirma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew dropped me off last on the first morning near a couple of clearings. One was high weeds surrounded by hardwoods and the other was a green field that had pines and hardwoods around it. There was some hog sign, especially around a feeder, although there was still corn there. I climbed up in the nearby ladder stand to test it out, and the thing was very comfortable and sturdy. After guarding the feeder for a while, I still hunted through the hardwoods back to the pickup point but didn't see any hogs. Just a gazillion squirrels. Here are pix of Day 1 morning as it turns to daylight.
 -

-

--------------------
www.tradarchersworld.com

Posts: 789 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bel007
2017 Contributor
Member # 21385

The mile of pines is where the hogs like to hide themselves away, thinking they are safe and warm. I worked a zigzag through the pines, into the thick scrub areas full of thorns and underbrush, into the swales and pans that usually hold hogs. I saw little sign and no porcine creatures. The day was warm, perhaps too warm for the hogs to go hiding into the pines. Near noon I headed back to the camp.

I would hunt a feeder in the evening. The feeder was located in a hardwoods fringe bordering fields on one side and the swamp on the other. There was sign at the feeder, but no pigs showed up to enjoy the corn during my watch. Day one had concluded without an encounter with and hogs but already I could tell I was relaxed and had forgotten worries left behind. A good day hunting, Black Widow in hand.

--------------------
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] [campfire] [campfire]
Posts: 3071 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Entering the pines...looking back at the misty sunrise
 -

Hollow based Oak.
 -

A monarch of the cutover was spared.
 -

Bunkhouse

-

-

Main house

-

Pond

-

--------------------

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Day 1 - pm hunt

I, like several others, chose to sit in one of Andrew's many ladder stands across the property. The PM hunt was uneventful other than the beauty of the swamp forest and God's beautiful sunsets. Peaceful times at Wild Things are magnetic while there. I look forward to a soon return.

-

-

--------------------

Got2strum
Corporate Sponsor
Member # 7889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Got2strum   Author's Homepage   Email Got2strum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]
Posts: 641 | From: York, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©