3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Hog Wild @ Wild Things '13 - the Truth and nuthin' but the Truth (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Hog Wild @ Wild Things '13 - the Truth and nuthin' but the Truth
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh....I have another hunt to tell about Todd 'nodillakilla' Herndon. [biglaugh]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31278 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1st monring I was there I was up eaarly and started helping Andrew getting breakfast cooked....Andrew had made two pots of coffee....sort of. One he forgot to put the grounds in and we ended up with a pot of hot water.

The other pot Andrew thought he'd not put water in yet but he had, and proceeded to flood the floor with water.

I said to Andrew....

"Sometimes you gotta have your coffee before you can make coffee"

Todd got a kick out of that quote.

I think there's a few more quotes yet to be spoken of. [readit]

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 31278 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17398 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome hunt fellas. Can't wait to get there.
Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be down that way (not at Wild Things) next week. Been trying to pick up a few pointers from this thread as to where the pigs are hanging out. Any pointers as to what kind of cover they were in. Of course it was warm last weekend, so does the weather effect where the pigs hang out?
Also, the accommodations at Wild Things look greatly improved got to get back there some time.
Thanks.

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1743 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rbcorbitt
Contributor 2016
Member # 35446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rbcorbitt   Email rbcorbitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

In my experience, the hogs were hanging out anywhere there was a combination of acorns, grapes (if the area still has some) and water's edge. Any time after mid-morning, investigate any "hoggy-looking" downfalls with extreme prejudice [Razz] .

Seem to like to bed up in standing pines and the tall grass (Phragmytes) that grow in the center of these areas.

Bob

--------------------
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Posts: 1560 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,

The photo of the bridge gave me a flashback.

Labor Day weekend, Andrew and my wife & I were on the bridge checking out the pond. I noticed the big hornets nest under my feet and the next thing I hear is Andrew shouting "RUN!". It felt like we were being shot with a BB gun. The stings left a mark and still itch.

I can't wait to get back down in March. Maybe you can visit the tribe during our hunt. We can send you out on the bridge first just to check things out. [Smile]

Glad you all had a great time.

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1757 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Ouch....so there really were trolls living under that bridge!!!

Anyhow, Todd had found an area with a lot of sign, and he wanted me to go help him 'figure it out'...

Upon arrival the more we walked the more sign we saw, sign on top of sign on top of sign on both sides of a field leading to the back corner were there was a feeder....once at the feeder, I saw 4 different routes leading into the woods only a few yards and then down they would go into the cypress bottom....do down into the bottom we went as well....

we walked across the bottom to the water's edge where the little stream had risen out of its banks and ran out of the flats. This 'bottom' had a berm running for I don't know how long just along this cypress bottom....the berm is what we climbed down to get in.

Once we got to the water's edge, there it was as suspected....sign...mud n bubbles along the edge. We followed the water's edge by turning left and bobbing and weaving in the yet flooded edge just beyond the water.....this kept our footsteps quiet, and any sticks we likely were to bread would do so under the mud making for a pretty quiet stalk downstream....

Now, I'd heard talk of Todd and armadillos since I'd been there...and that morning I was told, by an un named attendee, that Todd was OBSESSED with killing one. That was the reason for all the dilla jabbering I'd been hearing about. Now that I was on a hunt with Todd, he had already mentioned dillas a couple of times earlier but now we were serious about hogs....or so I thought...

--------------------

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

So here Todd and I are, me in the lead...staying on hog disturbed terrain that was soft....pure stealth mode. We'd move calulated for 10 yards and stop and scan the 100 to 150 yards ahead for any movement of 'the wild boar'. Taking careful note of every foot step. Eyes scanning...scanning...scanning...then more forward movement...scanning ....scanning....

The out of no were I get a TAP TAP TAP on my right shoulder and I look over at Todd who's just behind me with his bow tip pointed to a smallish cypress with a beautiful little volleyball sized hole in the bottom....you know, a hole like the Kebbler Elf would live in, only without the door.

Well, like I said, all seriousness with "Ze Wild Boooar" was now blown as Todd asked in a loud and low DEMANDING tone.....

"IS THAT AN ARMADILLO HOLE"!!!!

[laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing]

--------------------

rbcorbitt
Contributor 2016
Member # 35446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rbcorbitt   Email rbcorbitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see Todd now on his knees peering up inside that Cypress [biglaugh] ! I'm truly surprised that he didn't call in Harry the Wonder Dog to root that dilla out!!

--------------------
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Posts: 1560 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I imagine once the grapes get eaten up they'll turn to acorns, then to the corn. The grapes were dropping all over the swamp floor and were hitting the water as I walked through. Along the water's edge the grapes floated to settle by the banks. This is where the hogs were tearing up the mud.

If you go to the Hog Crossing sign, where the Jon boats are leaning on the tree, the thicket I ran them from and towards Bob was about 1/4 mile or less from there in a S/W direction up on the other side of the main creek and up on a high spot.

PM for more info if you'd like. I would love to see some success pics from Wild Things. I'm sure Andrew will share our sighting spots with you.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bud, I have been down to Wild Things when it was Hog Heaven with Ray. I will be hunting property that is a few miles down river. A friends family owns it. So just trying to find out generally where hogs seem to be hanging out most.
Thanks

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1743 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Oh...now I know what 'grapes' y all are talking about. ....NOT what we call grapes down here As those have been long gone ...but y all are talking about the gum drops falling out of the Cypress trees!!!

--------------------

RC
Charter Member
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC   Email RC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about to say grapes/muscadines are gone by mid Sept here. I did have a Yank friend calling tupeloes grapes once. Only thing I`ve seen eat them were squirrels. This time of year here and there probably you will find pork coming to late dropping water oaks. Cane thickets with water oaks dropping or a thick palmetto flat is good this time of year. Pigs feel good in the cover and you can put the sneak on them there too.RC
Posts: 4948 | From: Baxley,Ga | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all got a pic of these gum drops? The ones I saw were oblong like a grape and were deep purple in the inside. The fruit seemed fermented also as the taste was strong and wine-like.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©