3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » What size riser (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What size riser
anw0625
Contributor 2014
Member # 19278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anw0625   Email anw0625   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What size ILF risers are you guys using? Thanks!

--------------------
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Posts: 411 | From: Atlanta, Ga | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWD   Email BWD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A smallish sight window does not bother me, so I use a 15".

--------------------
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Posts: 1865 | From: Macon, Ga. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRY309
Contributor 2016
Member # 1191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRY309   Email JRY309   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have and shoot a 15",17" and a 25" ILF risers.My 15" riser I shoot off the shelf.My 17" and 25" are metal risers and I shoot off an magnetic elevated rest with a plunger.It can be fun to play around with each riser and different limbs.Depends on what I want to do on which riser I shoot.
Posts: 6197 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Picarelli
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Picarelli   Email Jim Picarelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 17" and 2 19" risers. I mostly shoot the 17" with medium limbs

--------------------
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Posts: 1110 | From: Spring Grove,Pa | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reaper TN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reaper TN   Email Reaper TN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two 19's and a 21.

--------------------
TT Pinnacle II 45# 62"
Hoyt Excel 50# 64"

Posts: 1084 | From: East Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 13" Morrison gen3 metal, a 13" Morrison B&W ebony, and I'll be modifying a gamemaster that will be 21".

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flinthead
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flinthead   Email flinthead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried a Morrison 13 inch riser w/ long limbs,did not like it as was not forgiving. Sold that riser and got a longer one and the bow was amazing. Really like it. Also have a 17 inch Titan and it is a very forgiving bow too. Thanks, Roy

--------------------
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Posts: 622 | From: copper hill virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 inch vpa

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6153 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
17" and a 21" . A lot depends on what length bow your trying to end up with.

What's your draw length. You can go short riser with long or XL limbs. Also long riser with short or XS limbs.

BWD mentioned sight window length also. Some of the 13-15" risers have very short sight windows.

I know this is clear as mud. The options are endless. The good thing about ILF set ups are the variables. You can get lots of limbs used very reasonably priced until you settle on a combo that works for you. Then you can dive into the top of the line limbs and risers to make your perfect bow.

bretto

Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Nash
Member # 40789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Nash   Email Dave Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stalker Coyote. 15"

--------------------
Dave
Great Plains t/d longbow 64"46@28
A&H acs 64"41@28
Stalker Coyote 64"43@28
Wapiti Spike 66"47@28

Posts: 89 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntryx
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntryx   Email huntryx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morrison Mini 13. Recently added Centaur Carbon/Bamboo longbow limbs, longs, to make a 58" LB. Also have Morrison recurve limbs, carbon/foam, to make a 58" recurve. The Centaur limbs are quick, smooth and quiet, exceeding the performance of the recurve limbs believe it or not.

--------------------
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2520 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 Zipper 17" risers, one my wife shoots with a set of 30# recurve limbs. Mine is ready to go with Dryad Static recurve limbs, one set is maxed out is 44#, the other is 49#, both 62". I would like to get a 15" to try at some point. I have had several other risers from 15-23"......

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15692 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brianlocal3
Contributor 2015
Member # 36050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brianlocal3   Email Brianlocal3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 17" titan with lb limbs 62" bow and a 21" excell with med RC limbs 64" bow

--------------------
JD Berry Misty Dawn 68" 50@27
JD Berry Vixen 68" 50@27
Fred Bear Bruin 68" 55@28

Posts: 3962 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomcat8910
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomcat8910   Email tomcat8910   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13" VPA riser and Centaur XL ILF limbs.
Posts: 214 | From: TX | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katman
2017 Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katman   Email katman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Das master 17", Morrison gen3 19"

You will do well to match your limb length to your draw length and choose riser length to avoid finger pinch.

--------------------
shoot straight shoot often

Posts: 3627 | From: south carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©