3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Camp (h)Ambush 2014 at Wild Things! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Camp (h)Ambush 2014 at Wild Things!
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the things that made the spot and stalk type hunting during the day difficult was the dry conditions. When I stepped off the logging roads I couldn't move without making all kinds of noise. The other was the constantly changing wind directions. I've honestly never hunted anywhere where the wind changed directions so frequently. In 10 minutes time the wind would be coming from all compass points. Very hard to keep the wind in your face unless you walk in tight circles.
One of the first things I noticed at night was as soon as the sun went down the wind stabilized and stayed from one direction. My first night on stand I heard a sounder of pigs move through about 50-75 yards out. They stayed upwind but didn't come in to the feeder. I really enjoyed my time on stand at night. It was peaceful and cool and there was always something moving in the woods.

Posts: 739 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Story telling so far. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17398 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the second night my feeder light came on at 7:55 pm. As soon as the woods were dark three raccoons came to feed. I was watching them when I heard something approaching from in front of me and to the right. It was walking toward me at a steady pace and I could tell right away this was no coon, possum or any other small critter. My heart started racing and I started my combat breathing to ready for the shot I just knew was imminent. Relying solely on hearing it sounded like the beast was 30 yards out when he passed directly upwind and I caught a whiff. HOGG!!! He continued moving passing by and walking directly behind my stand. I surmised he wanted to scent check the feeder before coming in and I hoped my scent stream would stay above him. Maybe I shouldn't have asked for the stands to be lowered. He stopped right behind me at no more than 5 yards and stayed there still for several minutes. I was starting to think he was gone when he moved again and them I heard him grunt twice. At that point I knew this was a big hog! He started walking back in the direction he had approached. I thought sure he would cut over and come into the feeder giving me the shot in the green glow. He continued moving and exited stage right. Thrilling and very frustrating to be that close to a big hog and not be able to get a shot off. Although I never had a visual I am assuming this was a big mature boar as he was alone and obviously not a young hog by the way he moved steady and deliberate.

Hats off to Thom for his "change everything" plan that put him in place to get a shot off, but in my defense an encounter like that could keep me in the same stand all week. I did hunt different spots the next two nights.

Posts: 739 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

On my way back to the truck on the last night of the hunt I walked up on a sounder of about 8 or 10 hogs rooting in the road. I had my head lamp on and they didn't spook from the light. I was about 25 yards fromhem and I nocked an arrow and drew. At full draw my head lamp was pointed to the right and I couldn't see the hogs so I let down and slid it to the left. I did this twice and by that time the hogs decided this was a party they didn't want to attend and took off into the swamp. I figured out how to make that shot on the way back and next time I will be ready for that situation.

Would I hunt the night again? You bet!! I've never been afraid to be in the woods at night. I'm only afraid of being in the city at night. More dangerous critters there for sure.

I decided to sleep in sunday morn and get ready for the long trip home but my on time departure was interrupted by someone's success!!

Donavan; you're up buddy!!

DGF
Contributor 2012
Member # 35052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DGF   Email DGF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]
Posts: 229 | From: Wyoming, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4dogs
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4dogs   Email 4dogs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[coffee]

--------------------
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 2488 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't believe you all caught anything down there. Need pics so lets get with the story boys.

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1364 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 3075 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I know a few guys said that they weren't real "computer savy" but I figured we'd have another story before now. [dunno]
Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stujay
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stujay   Email stujay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting good! [campfire] [coffee]
Posts: 2441 | From: Northern Idaho | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I'm running out of coffee and campfire wood so I emailed Donavan. Hopefully spell checking won't take him too long. In the meantime I stole a few pictures to share:

Here is someone who shared a ground blind with Doug for an evening:
 -

And here is one that Doug wouldn't share a blind with:
 -

Here is a cool one of a very special Two Tracks Ambush:
 -

Rick and Doug, sorry I stole your pics but they are too cool not to share!
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Butler
Contributor 2018
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a problem Thom!

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2318 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Normally I wouldn't pull up an old thread like this, but there has been a big question mark hanging of the rest of this story. Turns out one of the lucky hunters wanted to put pen to paper and publish his story in StickTalk,the Michigan Longbow Association magazine.

The article was published recently and all of our members have had a chance to read it. I got permission to link just his article for non-MLA members to enjoy. I've only got it in PDF right now so be sure you can read that file type before you click this LINK. Enjoy!

[campfire]
Thom

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©