3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Mike Tenley

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Back Quiver Build Along - St Jude...(photos have been restored-) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Back Quiver Build Along - St Jude...(photos have been restored-)
Azwatasha
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Azwatasha   Email Azwatasha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

--------------------
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple pie and Bear Kodiaks

Posts: 165 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmh
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmh   Email cmh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Bud, that's very nice. I think I will eventually give it a try [thumbsup]

--------------------
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Posts: 855 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cahaba
Contributor 2014
Member # 12221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cahaba   Author's Homepage   Email cahaba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many sq. ft. does it take or what size leather do you order?

--------------------
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Posts: 1553 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're looking at roughly a 2' x 2' piece. 4 sq ft is needed. That'll leave enough for body, strap, and bottom. It'll take three 72" laces.

The leather definitions are best explained here

http://www.zackwhite.com/Selecting-Leather_ep_44.html

I use 6/7oz for most all projects, but not exclusively.

As for treatment of the leather, that's also a personal thing. I'll cover how I do it soon.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7402 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dhermon85
Contributor 2015
Member # 37706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dhermon85   Email dhermon85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna have to try that on
Posts: 1264 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brianlocal3
Contributor 2015
Member # 36050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brianlocal3   Email Brianlocal3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding build along. Thank you

--------------------
JD Berry Misty Dawn 68" 50@27
JD Berry Vixen 68" 50@27
Fred Bear Bruin 68" 55@28

Posts: 3962 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green
Contributor 2016
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done Bud. I have a feeling there's going to be quite a few BQ's built by members this summer thanks to you!

--------------------
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Posts: 3365 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brianlocal3
Contributor 2015
Member # 36050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brianlocal3   Email Brianlocal3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I NEVER wear my BQ because it hangs funky off te side of my shoulder , thanks to this I'm gonna adjust that top part of the strap and re adjust z
Thanks bud

--------------------
JD Berry Vixen 68" 50@27

Posts: 3962 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of that could be the lack of stiffness in the leather. Top strap position is important, especially to us less limber/flexible. And having a back quiver too stiff will also be a hindrance, and makes for noisy arrows.

Page 75 of Hunting The Hard Way covers a few pointers on a back quiver. I will say that in the book Howard describes a proper position, as mentioned a few posts earlier, as "the nock end of the arrows will be just beside the right ear or the left, according to whether the archer is right or left handed." If you look at old videos of Howard, or still photos, his quiver hangs quite low on the shoulder. I find this unnatural for me. It may be perfectly fine for others. You just have to figure out what suits you and practice, practice, practice.

Simply put, back quivers aren't for everyone, but if you ever wanted to try one, making your own is not too bad of a task. That way if it's not for you, St. Jude can always use a donation item along about May of every year. [Wink]

--------------------

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7402 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azwatasha
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Azwatasha   Email Azwatasha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bud, going to paint the olive oil on my quiver tonight when I get home. How long in the sun do You figure? Remember it's around 110 degrees here today.

--------------------
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple pie and Bear Kodiaks

Posts: 165 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brianlocal3
Contributor 2015
Member # 36050

Well I moved the strap over more towards center and BINGO!!

Took me 30 sec to solve the headache I've had for a year. Lol

Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
JD Berry Vixen 68" 50@27

Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

The quiver will let you know Tim how much it wants. Go with even moderate coats at first. Let it sit and soak. The you'll be able to see the areas that need more. Remember the edges and holes will soak more rapidly than the hide face and back. Brush it down inside and out with less on the inside. I pour it onto my palm and then work it in that way on the inside. It's messy but effective. An even distribution is desired, but after a week or two you'd be surprised how it evens out. And yes, you can get too much, as will be evident in your clothing when you wear it. Better to go too light with several treatments than douse it and have leather treating remorse. It'll also looked streaked in places, but give it time to try to balance itself out, then apply more where needed. The strap takes oil much more quickly. So do the laces.

Good deal Brian!! I have tried the lower wearing of the quiver but it just didn't work for me as good as having the top strap centered on the quiver body. I'm far from proficient, but way away from novice.

--------------------

Hermon
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 26115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hermon   Email Hermon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracking indicates that the quiver should be waiting at my door when I get home tonight!
[jumper]

Posts: 2695 | From: Spring Hill, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

[archer2]

I have a feeling some arrows will be loosed in just a short while [Wink]

--------------------

Hermon
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 26115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hermon   Email Hermon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct Bud! The quiver is great!

When I got off work I hurried home to try it out. It is the first back quiver that I have had that wasn't a chore for me to get the arrows out of.

I spent the best part of an hour out shooting with it. When I finished I came inside to put some leather treatment on it. Bud said that Neetsfoot oil would work and I happened to have some on hand. Was pleasantly surprised to find a nice inscription on the bottom of the quiver form Bud. Applied the oil as Bud said above and went out and shot a little more. It is already starting to conform to my back. Will let this coat soak in for a couple days and then give it another application.

Thank you Bud for the very generous donation and the very informative build along. I will take good care of your creation and enjoy using it for many years to come and then pass it along to one of my grandkids someday.

Posts: 2695 | From: Spring Hill, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©