3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Trad Gang at Wild Things 2014 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Trad Gang at Wild Things 2014
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of you folks out there are going to like the rest of this story.
[bigsmyl]

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2227 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2017
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone was pretty excited to come help so we loaded up and headed back to the spot.

As soon as we got there Keith and I heard a pig run off to the West. It sounded like one critter and it came out of the place I'd thought I heard the noises a little earlier.
 -

We looked at the arrow, the blood trail going to the pool where the animal had been resting. It was in fact only about 15 yards from where the arrow was buried in the mud. Had we given it just a little more time the story would have ended here.
 -

Instead we decided to pull back and pursue in the morning. Blood was a good color and we believed this should be a short job in the morning. Tempature was pretty good for it and weather report suggested very little chance of rain.

In the morning we all shared a big breakfast and everyone wanted to participate in the recovery. We went out at 8am and got to work. We were all surprised that once that pig took to it's feet it dropped very little blood. I found the first droplets about 30 yards up it's trail and we picked up a tiny spec every six feet or so. I was really happy I brought a mist bottle filled with hydrogen peroxide, it confirmed blood we almost wrote off and disproved red spots growing on grass blades. I was mightily impressed with the tracking skills of my camp mates.

A bit up the way we found her.
 -

She was not the monster boar I planned to hunt for the last few months, but she is the perfect size for eating and a wonderful blessing to my household.
Thom

Posts: 1513 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2017
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell you what Joe, I've really been liking the way this story ends!

I liked it the night after I got back:
 -

And then two nights later:
 -

And two days after that I was told I could come pick up the 43#s of sausage that she yeilded. I tried one last weekend and it was even better than my last sow off the property.

A little side note, on this last trip I donated a digital meat scale to the camp that will go up to 880 pounds. I knew if I shot that really big boar I'd really want to know how much it weighed. Once we found her, everyone tried to guess her weight. Guesses ranged from 65 to 85 pounds, then put her on the scale and it read out 101.6 pounds. I can't believe the amount of meat on this little hog!

It will be interesting to see how other groups fair with their guessing in the future! Oh, and if someone brings in one of those big boys, what they weigh in at!

With that I'll quiet down and let my hunting partners weigh in any stories or pictures they want to add to tale. Thanks to everyone for their patience as I got this all typed out.
Thom

Posts: 1513 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2018
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Thom! Those big boys are fun to hunt kinda like lone wolfs...but that 75-100# hog is best for the table. Got this guy right next to y'all @ Bacon Strip a couple of years back...wish I'd had a scale then. I'll be trying a new lease this year near Charleston...but may need to show up at Wild Things just to see the old neighborhood...tippit

-

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 8539 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom:
Man, that meat looks really good.
Yum.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2227 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Thom's shot was a darned good shot. It took out both lungs, put a slice in the heart. punctured the diaphragm and cut open the top of the stomach. Part of the lung tissue came out of the exit wound and plugged it up.

Even with all of that damage, the blood trail was very sparse and difficult. When Thom says that there were tiny spots every six feet or so, he really means it. Some of the spots were almost microscopic and often six feet stretched into ten or twelve feet. And, when we found the hog there was not a blood pool under her.

When Thom and Charlie opened her up there was a lot of blood inside her body cavity.

That is the second thin blood trail I have been on this season. In both cases the exit wound was plugged up from the inside.

The lesson here is that we should always do our best to follow up a thin blood trail.

We all did a lot of patting Thom on the back. And in honor of his success we let him fill his plate first at supper that night.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to jump in right quick and say we did have to battle the full moon, and we did stay after them a lot during the day including mid day....

And I've never seen more 'BIG' tracks on the property than I've ever seen....in several different areas as well, ...not just the same hog. [nono]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31048 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Thom. Looking forward to more tales from camp.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17172 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SheltonCreeker
Contributor 2014
Member # 31787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheltonCreeker   Email SheltonCreeker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Thom. I enjoyed the read very much. That meat looks great and I'm glad you ended up with as much sausage as you did. Great eating in your future!

--------------------
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 1228 | From: Dahlgren Illinois | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pointer
Contributor 2015
Member # 11915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pointer   Email Pointer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you shot the hog in the dark at 8pm..thats impressive Thom. When we were there last January, Andrew wasn't wild about us hunting at night so we didn't. Glad to see he's OK with it now..looking forward to giving that a try if we have no luck during the day next month
Posts: 960 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tip of my Stetson to you good sir. Just flat out can't kill 'em any better than that! Great pics and story, thanks for sharing.
Posts: 736 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way cool story Thom!

All your hard work paid off. Congratulations!

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1745 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got some pics to post.....hopefully get them tonight....along with comments.

Yes....the blood trailing was a highlight in itself as everyone involved was a major contributor. ....including my flashlight I used in daylight to pick up blood ahead on thin blades of grass. It's amazing what a really good bright light can do. It can also help you focus on an area better when your eyes get tired.

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 31048 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2017
Member # 24842

Thanks guys, it was fun to tell! Beauty of a hog there tippit!

As for hunting hogs under a light, Andrew still isn't hot on the idea. I made arrangements well ahead of my hunt, and there were still some special terms I needed to agree to abide by. I wouldn't just show up thinking it's cool these days.

For whatever it's worth, 6 out of 7 times I drew my bow on hogs that week it was between 9:21am and 1:20pm. I'd hate to leave anyone with the wrong idea about that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what pictures you guys took, hopefully you got some good ones!
Thom

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Had a Christmas Chorus Concert tonight....that I'd forgot about. I'll try and post more tomorrow.

[campfire]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©