3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » My Son's first day hunting...what a great afternoon! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: My Son's first day hunting...what a great afternoon!
J. Cook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 20751

Icon 10 posted      Profile for J. Cook   Email J. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son just turned 7 years old at the beginning of December. I bought him a Black Rhino long bow 4 Christmases ago...since that time he's shot thousands of arrows. For some reason, he had it in his head that when he turned 7 he can go hunting (I never said that, but he's told anyone who will listen that since he first got his bow).

So...since he is officially "7" I asked him on the last day of the year if he'd like to go out. He about did a back flip!!!!

We went to a property that we hunt some to just do some walking and stumping and just see what may happen. Let me preface this - the ride to the property is about 25 minutes and this kid was like riding in an SUV with the Tazmanian Devil!!!!! He was fired up!!!!

We had a great encounter with a big red tail hawk just after we settled in to our first sit. I'm assuming the hawk saw my fletching, but at any rate it zoomed out of the sky down to about a foot off the forest floor and we could see it coming directly at us in pure attack stealth mode for about 30 yards. Then, at maybe 10 yards it realized it had made a mistake and flared it's wings (making and awesome swooshing sound) and went instantly vertical up and out of the tree line then circled for a few orbits. I looked over at Mason and he was almost laying on his back with his eyes as big as apples about to take some "evasive action." [laughing] This was a great start!

I got the new Samsung S5 phone and it has an amazing camera, so I took the opportunity to play around and get some good pics of his official "first hunt." I hope you enjoy.

Here he is walking in - there was no leading him...Mason was in the lead!
 -

We did some stumping on the way in...
 -

Found some rubs and took an opportunity to explain what we were seeing...
 -

Here's just some good pics from our sits and time together.
 -  -
 -

To add perspective - here he is on Christmas morning after he got this bow 4 years ago.
 -

We had a great time!!!! Killed a lot of stumps and leaf clusters, saw 4 deer (not close to a shot though), had an AWESOME encounter with a red tail hawk, and got the opportunity to fan the hunting flames inside my son a bit more. What more can you ask for on the last day of a year.

***This was during rifle season in NC and we did wear our orange vests, but they blew out the colors of the pics so we took them off for pictures.***

--------------------
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Posts: 1272 | From: Kannapolis, NC | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgroundstalker
Contributor 2018
Member # 10420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mcgroundstalker   Email mcgroundstalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful photographs! Be proud of that little tiger... [thumbsup] ...

... mike ...

--------------------
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Posts: 4141 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! When his teacher has the class write a school paper on their favorite outing, I bet this one will be it for years to come. Dad will always cherish it as well. I have a grandson, who will turn 3 in February, and I hope in a few years to be able to make a post such as this. It sounds like you have a real good grasp of the "daddy" job. Congratulations.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4886 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome. I think I was 7 when I was "big enough to go" I think it was the age I was listening more and wouldn't be a pain in the ass to my dad. Looking back when I wasn't allowed it was cause he and my uncle and older cousins actually wanted to hunt and not baby sit. That first picture is awesome... He's in full stomp mode... Man on a mission...
Enjoy it brother. [thumbsup]

Posts: 4147 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMN   Email BMN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [clapper]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Posts: 1496 | From: Overland Park, Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homey88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homey88   Email Homey88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great post! Thanks for sharing! [clapper]
Posts: 1282 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VA Elite
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VA Elite   Email VA Elite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is golden

--------------------
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Posts: 1016 | From: Chester, VA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDow3
Contributor 2015
Member # 42773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDow3   Email JDow3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see the next generation out of doors!
Posts: 118 | From: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RAGHORN 3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAGHORN 3   Email RAGHORN 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it.... [thumbsup] Here's to many more days like that... [clapper]
Posts: 248 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It dont get any better than that brother! I started taking my son when he was 6 and he is eat up with hunting and the outdoors.

Aweome pictures too..great job!!!

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2168 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAVIOUR68
Contributor 2015
Member # 35651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAVIOUR68   Email SAVIOUR68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply AWESOME [thumbsup]
Wait til he draws first blood, I think you got a new hunting buddy

Posts: 461 | From: UNITED STATES OF TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie B.
Contributor 2015
Member # 26120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernie B.   Email Bernie B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a nice outing to build a lifetime of memories! Great pictures also!

Bernie

Posts: 2417 | From: Iowa | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joeabowhunter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joeabowhunter   Email Joeabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic...enjoy these times, they fly by.
Posts: 1389 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slimpikins
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slimpikins   Email Slimpikins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent read and awesome pictures! I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Posts: 275 | From: Charleston, South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limbolt
Contributor 2016
Member # 15667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limbolt   Email limbolt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pic's,it just doesn't get any better than that.Thanks for sharing. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 1239 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©