3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » we ran out of meat hooks at Wild Things last week (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: we ran out of meat hooks at Wild Things last week
Duker
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 25532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duker   Email Duker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story [campfire]
Posts: 1845 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Lucas
SPONSOR
Member # 7908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Lucas   Email Pierre Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding...good times.

God bless,

--------------------
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>-----> SBD...Bow Strings..."not just another bow string" www.sbdbowstrings.com

Posts: 1171 | From: Dunlevy, Pa. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 2654 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yth-mnstr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yth-mnstr   Email yth-mnstr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it!

--------------------
justin ammons

Posts: 472 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biathlonman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biathlonman   Email Biathlonman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check back in February, story might be done by then.
Posts: 3972 | From: Lexington, Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2018
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya tellin me Andrew only has one meat hook? [dunno]
Posts: 3667 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really good so far!!!!

[coffee]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1526 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Ya tellin me Andrew only has one meat hook? [dunno]

Needed to take a little time to celebrate Christmas and see family I don't get to see nearly often enough.

Resuming the photo cropping and uploading for the rest of the story. There are a bunch more hooks to account for.
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2018
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tuggin on your chain a little Thom [Big Grin]

Hope you had a great Christmas!

[campfire]

Posts: 3667 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem man, looking forward to telling the story from the rest of the week!
Tuesday December 15th 2015
6:30 wake up and head over for coffee. Other than Andrew and Stiles it's pretty quiet over there. We all trickle into the lodge and have a little breakfast. Stiles leaves out pretty quickly to get to his work for the day. I setup a camera to get a good daylight picture of Steve and his hog before we break out the butchering knives on it.
 -

Steve put aside all the prime cuts, then handed me the ribs for a little camp snack. All the rest went to local butcher for immediate sausage making. They say it should be ready for pickup Saturday morning. Back in camp I prepared and seasoned the ribs for later cooking.
 -

Once our butchering chores were complete, we jumped in the gator and collected up all the cameras and redeployed them to different feeders. My little experiment fails for another day, I am confident this will bring in hogs so I top dress a little hog candy and spray the juice up in some short pines to spread the smell. Everyplace else we went was hit by hogs overnight.

While we were doing all this stuff, Ted and Luke had to run to Wiggins to get their SC hunting licenses. When they got back they hunted the South side of the pond towards highway 3 through some recent rooting activity, no hogs seen in the morning.

Enjoyed lunch of turkey soup at 1pm. We review the pictures and see lots of promising info, especially Gumbo which got hit hard about half an hour before dark. The camera went into night mode, but this is a nice shot from that sequence.
 -

After a long chat we shoot our bows in camp for a bit, clean up, and load out. Luke takes Wild Fire where Steve sat last night for his first sit. His father goes to Hog Wallow where I saw the one the night before. Steve goes to try out Crossroads, and I go up to Pine Field where a guy killed two in one sit a few weeks ago. I'm in stand late at 4:06 but it’s undisturbed thus far. Good sign. 4;30 the journal is up to date as feeder goes off. I hope they hit this feeder first on their circuit tonight! I sit until dark and am a touch frustrated as I head to the truck. Right as I get there I see a headlamp coming in. Steve says he saw two deer and no hogs, no shot presented. We agree we got in too late and take oath to be on stand at least one hour earlier tomorrow. Andrew’s truck is coming up main road so we wait for him to rollup.

Ted had a lone boar come in at 5:30 and eat in front of him until Andrew came in to get him after dark. He said that he thought about drawing on him a few times but didn't, he really wanted to see how much movement he could get away with and see how a pig would react so he could hunt them with more confidence in the future. Probably a wise investment of time on his first day hunting pigs.

The best news came from young Luke's stand. Luke said they charged in right after the feeder went off, exactly like they did the night before. He immediately drew and shot the first broadside pig he could with his Kodiak Magnum. He described the hit and it sounded great! While that one was running away, more hogs ran back in to the feeder. Luke figured "why not", drew, and shot a second hog! This hit sounded well placed, but apparently the arrow hit bone and snapped off at the broadhead. Less than an inch of dark blood on the shaft recovered on the spot.

We converse about the cool and clear night ahead of us and decide to leave the blood trailing until the morning. Back in camp we eat a mountain of roast beef with braised mushrooms and spuds. We talk until ten or so, I don’t envy the restless night of second guessing himself that Luke has ahead of him.
As I summarize to myself the first official day of the hunt:
- We have 4 guys with hog and doe tags in camp
- Steve’s already got one hog getting ground up, and he almost got a shot at a deer.
- Luke has shot two hogs on his first day pig hunting.
- Ted passed on several shot opportunities on the hog that walked in front of him.
- I should have picked a stand with a more favorable wind. Rookie mistake.
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHunterGA
SPONSOR
Member # 4952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHunterGA   Author's Homepage   Email BowHunterGA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sticksnstones:
Steve says he saw two deer and no hogs, no shot presented.

Great narration so far Thom!!!!

One of the two deer Thom mentions above was a 80 yard stalk on a small buck I caught hanging out in one of the "5th rows" in the pines along the main road from the old camp. I managed to close the gap to 12 yards and did have a broadside shot but I passed on the little 4 point since Andrew requested to only shoot a buck if it would be mounted as a full shoulder mount. Besides I had won over that little buck at that point. It was quite a rush and my first successful stalk attempt on a whitetail that would have resulted in a shot. I smiled a HUGE smile as he walked off into the pines without ever being aware of my presence.

--------------------
Simply Traditional

Like Simply Traditional on Facebook

Posts: 1310 | From: Gainesville, GA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job on the sow, and the stalk, Steve. Keep it coming.
Posts: 5644 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum Head
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Possum Head   Email Possum Head   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice stalk!
Posts: 2210 | From: Hurley, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Steve, thanks for adding the detail on that. Things were so exciting sorting out Luke's shots I didn't absorb exactly how well you did on that stalk! Here is the next part of the story.
Wednesday December 16th 2015
Good cheer around camp this morning as we drank coffee until 8am or so, then Steve and I begin our camera tour while the rest of the guys take Harry to go track.

Hitting all the different feeders there is lots of good sign pretty much everywhere. Crossroads is a strange exception, still has corn on the ground from last night. I wonder what happened about this??? My experiment site was finally found by the hogs and it was hit HARD! Looking at the camera footage later proves that the big group of hogs that hit Charlie's Field was the same group that hit this. Combination of some uniquely spotted hogs in the group. So the big question is; where they go first tonight. First one will probably be in shooting light, next stop probably won’t.
 -

We meet up with the other guys on the blood trail and its a bust on the recovery. Just a couple drops and then nothing. Tracks of the wounded pig immediately fell into a path with 9 other pigs and there was no way to tell which one it was when it broke back out in cover. I went into the briar and grid searched for an hour or so, no sign of it in there so I’m guessing it made it out the other side of the patch.

Back at camp an hour later there is much discussion about Luke’s arrow setup. It’s about 8gpp with factory sharp screw in heads. Steve got Luke shooting some of his 650 grain arrows and the kid was shooting them very well! His bow was super quiet, and flight was very good. Steve gave the guys a sharpening lesson and filled Luke’s quiver with RAZOR sharp Magnus Classics for the afternoon sit. If this kid gets another shot it's going to be awesome!!!

In the process of all this going on, I ran out of time to cook those hog ribs. I will catch a bunch of flak about this I’m sure…

Time to hunt! I decide to take Charlie's Field for my sit hoping the hogs come here first instead of my experimental site. Nail biter. Luke goes to Blue Lake Field because he hears it’s promising for deer and hogs. Ted goes to Stiles Flat, a new spot at the edge of pines and palmettos. Steve wants to sit Gumbo but says he will drop back to Crossroads if wind is wrong for it. I’m in my stand at 3:01. Temp is 73 degrees with a light but twitchy wind. 3:34 journal up to date, one hour to feeder. Hogs came in at 5:01 yesterday...

4:30 the feeder goes off as expected. 5:15 a red hog with black spots appears at my 6 o'clock with a solid black one right behind it. They are about 30 yards exactly behind me and the black one stands post as the red one starts a wide clockwise circle about 40 yards out and sniffs the air and every track it crosses. It gets back to the black one and excited to think that they will probably come in... Wrong! The red one begins a second circle and it does another 360 around me just a little closer than the last. It makes it back to my six o’clock and the pair walk off towards the 11 acre field together! Unbelievable!!! I’ve never in my life heard of a hog doing two full circles on a feeder. Argh! 5:45 two does come sneaking in from the same direction but the wind switches and sends them back. 6:00 or so a chorus of coyotes pick up as darkness falls. I go back to camp.

Back in camp I catch up with Steve who did end up sitting Crossroads due to wind. He saw a huge boar right at dark and got s little video of it. Ted saw lots of squirrels, bad sit for him. Lucky Luke saw a bunch of turkeys come in right after the 4:30 feeder went off, he took video of them. Right after that two does crossed at about 40 yards or so. A few minutes later a 12 point buck passed between him and the feeder. Unfortunately he misunderstood the buck policy, so he didn't shoot it. Finally a big doe came in about 5:30 and he shot her. No hogs but a busy couple hours for sure!
 -

We went over all these stories as we ate an “appetizer” course of Steves wild hog ribs and salad, then all decided we were all way too full to even touch the chickens that Andrew had baked for us. They will make great sandwiches tomorrow.

Since Luke’s shot sounded good, we grabbed our flashlights and went to take a look. We picked up on the blood trail right where Luke said she stood when he shot. It was sparse blood, but both halves of that Black Eagle arrow were laying right there showing great penetration. It looks like about half of it was already out the far side when she jumped up and snapped the arrow in half. 60 yards up the way we found her with holes through both of her lungs up high.
 -

This makes it official; Luke has successfully made his first traditional bow harvest! He is also the first guy to put a deer in the cooler since Andrew opened up the option for all hunters this year.

After getting her dressed and in the cooler we hit Charlies Field with a spotlight on the way back to camp at 10pm. There had to be about two dozen big hogs on station as we rolled by.
Looking back, that was a very big day to share in that young man’s life. I’m honored that I get to be a small part of that story.
Thom

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©