3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » we ran out of meat hooks at Wild Things last week (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: we ran out of meat hooks at Wild Things last week
Rick Butler
Contributor 2018
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2318 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHunterGA
SPONSOR
Member # 4952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHunterGA   Author's Homepage   Email BowHunterGA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sticksnstones:

..........I think it was just too high of a hit. We will probably never know.

I also think the shot was high. It was very close and I thought I was looking low enough but probably not. The arrow was bloodied up 24" of the shaft and he carried it a long way before it broke. Still scratching my head a bit but yea, I think it was a bit high.

I really thought once we found that arrow we would find the hog. After I got back home I took this photo of all the arrows from that week.
 -

quote:

I’m not sure I’m qualified to describe the actual two shot sequence, but it worked!

Not much to tell. The first shot was a center-punch and the hog let out a squeal and was anchored to the ground. After 2 seconds it rolled over and then started kicking, after the hours of tracking that morning I was not about to give it the chance to get up so a second shot into the vitals was executed to prevent any chance for tacking.

Looking back at the video there were a couple larger hogs I wish I had zeroed in on instead but there were so many piglets running around in that group I wanted to make sure I did not take a wet sow. Sorry it wasn't more meat for you Thom. [Frown]

--------------------
Simply Traditional

Like Simply Traditional on Facebook

Posts: 1310 | From: Gainesville, GA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would kill a wet sow in a heartbeat. It is tough to put a dent in their numbers with a tradbow. Great job, Steve.
Posts: 5644 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyflinger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyflinger   Email flyflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome stories. Thanks for sharing!
Posts: 171 | From: southern illinois | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Recap of what sounds like an amazing hunt.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17398 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hud
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hud   Author's Homepage   Email Hud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weather isn't the best, one storm after another, rivers are high and colored, good time for one.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2122 | From: Ridgefield, Wa. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum Head
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Possum Head   Email Possum Head   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed reading your journal!
Posts: 2210 | From: Hurley, Mississippi | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHunterGA
SPONSOR
Member # 4952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHunterGA   Author's Homepage   Email BowHunterGA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope this doesn't break any rules but if anyone wants to see a video of the first hog there is a link below to the video. The camera housing amplifies every noise when handling the bow. I started to remove or reduce the sound from the video but if you listen you can hear the hogs grunting which I thought was too cool to remove.

https://vimeo.com/150200663

I will post a link to the second hog in the next few days. (Vimeo limits uploads)

--------------------
Simply Traditional

Posts: 1310 | From: Gainesville, GA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Guys!!!

Great Stories!!!

Looks like ya'll had a sho-nuff BLAST

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31278 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maineac
Contributor 2016
Member # 15727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maineac   Author's Homepage   Email maineac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a great time!!

--------------------
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
Robert Holthouser

Posts: 4239 | From: Waldoboro, Maine | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stories make me wish even more that I could have made the trip to be there with you. Wow! You guys had a lot of action. Congratulations to all.

I'm itching like crazy to get there again soon.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2249 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T-D
Contributor 2014
Member # 34508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-D   Email T-D   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job guys! I really like the video Steve. Andrew and Charlie really have things right down there!

--------------------
Resident Hog Slayer🐗
Hummingbird Bows + Simmons Sharks = Death from above

But with God all things are possible
(Mathew 19:26)

Posts: 405 | From: Stokesdale, NC | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2018
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good times there guys!

Thanks for sharin'

Posts: 3667 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all!

I was listening to Steve tell the story about he he got that last hog in the skinning shed: "I pinned it to the ground on the first shot, then I put a second arrow through the vitals."

I found myself wondering where he might have learned this technique???
 -

[smileystooges]
Good memories old buddy!
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHunterGA
SPONSOR
Member # 4952

quote:
Thanks all!

I was listening to Steve tell the story about he he got that last hog in the skinning shed: "I pinned it to the ground on the first shot, then I put a second arrow through the vitals."

I found myself wondering where he might have learned this technique???

Thom

Priceless!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Simply Traditional

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©