3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Ben Holtz

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » A new ladder stand......? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A new ladder stand......?
David Mitchell
Contributor 2017
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Mitchell   Email David Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also make sure it has a seat that folds up against the tree. Some of them don't and that leaves you with a very small area to stand on out from the tree.
Posts: 4085 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron: Check out the Leverege 5200 telescoping ladder stand available from www.treestandsinc.com or through the big auction site. Three ladder sections that telescope to set the platform at a maximum of 12 feet, seat 2 feet higher, or as little as 4 feet in one foot increments. Constructed differently than most other ladder stands.

It's basically a well made hang on stand with a ladder attached. No cables from the vertical seat posts to the platform to interfere with bow limbs or any other hunter movement, and no bars restricting your legs and overall movement. Seat folds against the tree if you wish to stand to shoot or just to stand for a while. I've looked at a lot of ladder stands, and this is the best one I've found. And they're selling them at a huge discount right now. Good luck.

Posts: 8587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PASQUINELL
2017 Contributor
Member # 15560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASQUINELL   Email PASQUINELL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a guest at a new location and given a ladder to hunt from. It was an old one with a cheese grater for a seat. It took me two weeks to get the 10,000 dimples outa my butt. Get one that the comfy seat folds up to tree.

--------------------
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Posts: 130 | From: WISCONSIN | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2017
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LC:
Ok heres my two cents worth. First the height is not a problem as all has already been mentioned. Second not to long ago someone asked about the best ladder stand and one of the Wensels recommended a stand from Dicks delivered to your from like $60 and I believe it was like 15'. If it's good enough for them than I'd say its good enough for anyone,

With all that said I hate ladder stands for the following reasons. Hard to put up, hard to move and as such most folks leave them out year around. Being a dumb ol electrician and bowhunter I've never seen anything left outside year around have a long life span especially strapped to a tree. One also has to consider the metal is usually from the global economy side of the world.

I just can't see the benefit over using rapid rails and a hang on. Easier to hang, move, take down, can be used on a lot different trees and easy to height adjust by using less rails! I usually pick my rails up end of season sales for $34 bucks. Your mileage may vary

LC,
Can you provide a link to the thread where the Wensel's gave their recommendation for the Dick's ladder stand? I'd be interested in knowing the model they suggested and checking it out.
Thanks.

Posts: 592 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2017
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not LC, but here you go-

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=147350#000003

He recommends Comfort Zone Deluxe 16' from Dick's Sporting Goods- on clearance for $79.

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1836 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2017
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw somewhere in a different thread that he recommends AGAINST the 15' Standard Comfort Zone version.

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1836 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look for simple Christmas garland at yard sales and thrift stores to wrap around the ladders and such. Wrap now for next fall. The deer will get used to it and it will lose its smell, if it has any.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7326 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2017
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Hawkeye!
Posts: 592 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chain2
Contributor 2017
Member # 35093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chain2   Email Chain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had deer actually scratch their necks on my stand. It has been up awhile but the loggers cut their normal path off and they came closer. Two years ago I had a fork rubbing a tree in front if my stand while a spike was rubbing his neck on my ladder. It was like he was waiting his turn. You can hide them easy enough.

--------------------
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Posts: 794 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get 10-12' up, in the right place, you will be golden! Just make sure you get a ladder stand without handrails. All handrails do is mess up perfectly good shooting opportunities!

I shot a pig from the seated position in a 12' ladder stand last Friday!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11718 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©