3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » some big boars getting killed at Wild Things! (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: some big boars getting killed at Wild Things!
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats [clapper]

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6298 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious to know the weight of that hog!

also, what will you do with him? Did you grind him? I have heard that pigs that large are "not worth dealing with", so what do you guys do with them?

I killed a pretty decent one last month and my grandpa just ground it all into sausage. I have heard that for larger hogs you can mix something with the meat and it will get rid of the stink, but I don't know.

Thanks for sharing this thread.

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 3075 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that is a big ole "sow" right there!!!! [laughing] [laughing] [laughing]

I tend to do the same thing in the dark. I always guess them way smaller than they end up being!

Congrats to you and Brian!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11922 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!!!

This was a very rare wild hog. It stopped traffic in Estill, of course I'm not sure if that takes too much to do... But it did.
 -

Charlie and I were on the way to meet up with a taxidermist at the meat processor's place and we dropped in to show Mary Beth the hog. Once the tailgate went down cars starting pulling off and people came out to get a look and take a few pictures. All the locals had said that they had seen a dead hog or two like this in the past, and everyone was VERY congratulatory about my success. I guess it's not just big in my yankee longbow hunter's eyes.

This one old timer said "I don't know if I'd trust my rifle to shoot one like that, what bullet are you using?" I had my bow still strung behind my seat so I handed it to him. This is when the guys looked like this:
[Eek!] [scared] [Eek!]

"One shot at 10 yards, 40 yard recovery."
[thumbsup] [Not Worthy] [thumbsup]

Of course that not why I hunt hogs, or tell the story of my "nice little meat sow" but it was priceless to see the reactions!

Here is the last picture I have with him, a few minutes later the caping started.
 -

This year different guys have been eating the hams, ribs, and tenderloins out of some 200-240 pound boars and the reports (and what I ate personally) have been VERY good. I wanted to do some more adventurous cuts on this guy, but due to the caping process I just had this whole pig ground for sausage. There was almost no boar smell to him or any of the other ones shot this trip. I bet it tastes delicious.

I'll cover the rest of the week when I'm off the clock, I've been on this break a little too long already! While this accounts for all the hogs we put in the cooler, we still had some fun getting into hogs and I want to share that too!
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. What a hunt. Congrats to all involved!
Posts: 3153 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya done good brother! I'm really happy for you Thom.

Congratulations to the rest of the crew!

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1757 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is awesome! [clapper] Well done & congrats!!! Are you getting it mounted? That's what I think of when I hear "caping"... [goldtooth]
Posts: 949 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, on a beautiful hog, sure is big and ugly.
Thanks for taking the time to share the stories.
I have got to get back there sometime.

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1743 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper]
Awesome fellas!

Posts: 4147 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2018
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, what a week! [thumbsup]
Posts: 3667 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
23feetupandhappy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23feetupandhappy   Email 23feetupandhappy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[scared]

Man that's a lot of sausage!!!!!!!

Thoroughly enjoying the tale so far!

[campfire]

--------------------
The Lord Is My Provider......

Posts: 1526 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody! It's so cool seeing so many names of guys I've hunted with over the years chiming in. I am a blessed man in deed!

I'm going to take one post to cover all the simple facts and numbers, then we'll talk about Friday and Saturday.

The bow is my new Black Widow PLII takedown. Yep the one I ordered when I thought I was heading to Africa, the same one I dropped my treestand on last month. 66" 64@30.

My arrow shaft is a Black Eagle Outlaw in .300 spine from my friend Steve at Simply Traditional. Broadhead is a Tuffhead 225 grain. Custom one piece adapter/insert at 235 grains was turned by Jon Hand of Nebraska. Last thing on my arrow is a Nocturnal. I left it lit so I could put it on my special arrow rack and it's still glowing tonight more than 8 days after the shot.

My bow and my arrow are connected via a string tracker. When it comes to hogs, I'm a firm believer.

This hog never moved in the daytime. I have not caught a daylight picture of him in 16 months of setting cameras. Last month Elusive Wildlife Technologies released a new product called the Blind Side-R. I got two of the first units off the line and I shot this hog using one of them. It had been set in motion detect mode for 3 weeks before I sat it.

OK, hardware aside lets talk about the weight. Years ago I realized that the biggest scale in camp only went to 320 pounds. I was sure that someday we'd bottom that scale out. I gifted the camp a scale certified to 880 pounds. Last week, for the first time, we officially needed it:
 -

As for caping, yes he is getting a shoulder mount. By the time the camp opens for the 2016/2017 season he should be hanging in the lodge. While that might look amazing on my wall in Michigan, his home was the low country. That property was HIS turf. It was my privilege to get to visit him there, and see him a few times over these past few years. It only seems right that I should have to pack up and drive a thousand miles to visit him on his turf again.
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHunterGA
SPONSOR
Member # 4952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHunterGA   Author's Homepage   Email BowHunterGA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom this last post is just "you". Since I met you back in 2012 on that very piece of land I am always amazed at the thought you put into everything you do. Your tribute to this animal which most people consider invasive and easy to hunt is no less that exactly what I would expect from you. I can't wait to see it on the wall of the lodge. You embrace the spirit of the hunt and I am proud to call you my friend!

Again, congrats on your success. Sure wish I had been there to share the moment with you!

--------------------
Simply Traditional

Like Simply Traditional on Facebook

Posts: 1310 | From: Gainesville, GA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. He outweighs me well over 100lbs. Stalking him would've been scary. Dang scary.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible for the taxidermist to age him, Thom?

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7500 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©