3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » some big boars getting killed at Wild Things! (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: some big boars getting killed at Wild Things!
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday January 8th 2016
This day was messed up! Drank coffee and ate breakfast until 8am. Charlie arrives at camp and we all head for the skinning shed.

Charlie looks at my hog and you can see the wheels turning. I end up on the phone with Mary Beth who is searching the internet for taxidermists, calling the state wildlife biologist, and coordinating additional freezer space.

While she is running the show from Estill, Charlie and I dress/skin/and start butchering on Bryan's second hog. While we do this, Bryan heads to Wiggins to buy another big cooler to fit the rest of his first hog and all of his second. By the time he gets back we are ready to pack all the meat into ice for his trip.

We hung my hog and snapped a few pictures, then we sorted out the plan with the taxidermy. We went through Estill on our way to the rendezvous. (That story removed as the basics are above.)

By the time I got back to camp Bryan and Keith were well down the road. The guys have already eaten when I get back from town so I eat a few coney dogs and we put together a plan.

In doing our "zone attack" plan, we need to sit the North end of the property tonight. Best stand is Pine Field, Val wants to take that one. It's mirror is Gumbo so Doug agrees to sit that one. I will take Val out in my truck, Doug will take himself in. Sycamore is knee deep in water, but there is still a third stand on that circuit. Running cameras let us know it wasn't a primary location so we skipped it. Instead John set himself up to sit the late night feeder at Blue Top.

I put the guys out, and at the appointed times I brought them back. Friday was a complete BUST! 0 hogs seen! For all the days like yesterday, it feels like we have one like this!
If you guys are watching the other hog thread going on right now, you'll notice Irv's last POST where he talks about the enjoyment of seeing someone take their first deer or hog. This is just like what I say about all of my joy in fly fishing being in other's catching their first trout. The best thing about what is coming next is that it has nothing to do with me. I hope I do it justice.
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saturday January 9th 2016
Last day. Can't hold anything back!

Thursday's excitement has died off a bit. Well for most, but not me. Friday's logistics are in the past, that is set for fire-and-forget. The only thing to consider now is what to do today! John and I do a camera run that was neglected yesterday in the commotion, and we review the pictures at the lodge.

Doug has isolated a section of road between a bedding area and a daytime browse area, he takes off to go sit all day, then move into the nearest adjacent feeder when he hears it go off. That's one guy down.

John, Val, and I decided to stalk several sections of grass along the Eastern boundary. We get a bit cut up in the process but don't see any hogs to my dismay. We head back to camp at 2pm.

Cameras show that a few groups of hogs came into the camp feeder... er "Thom's Stand" last night. Val has a stool in a natural blind ready to go on that.

John pulls me aside. We have a good talk, almost entirely I listen. As he lays out his idea I can see the switch has been flipped. Only two days ago he was asking all kinds of questions and guessing at what a hog might do given this or that. Now he is telling me what he thinks they will do, and how he should position himself to have the best chance at capitalizing on their presumed behavior. This is a 180 from the John I met less than 72 hours ago.

Doug takes himself out, Val will walk over to his spot when the time comes. I take John to where he wants to be and drop him off. I do suit up and I take a sit at Wild Fire. Now what is REALLY funny to me, I'm walking into that stand and I realize that I've NEVER sat that stand before! I'm not sure of the best approach, but I take a back route through the woods. It's a very enjoyable sit with plenty of deer to keep me company.

At dark I go meet Doug. Poor guy gave it his all, but zero hogs seen by him too. He heads back to prepare our dinner, and I do a few chores on the far North end of the property. At dark plus one hour I go get John.

What an exciting night for him! He kicked out two on his way in... and learned a good lesson in the process! After that a twitchy sow came in, he spent some time trying to figure out if she'd give a chance or not. Two boars broke into a fight in the distance, all he could do was sit and listen to the melee in the shadows. While that was sorting out a whole sounder came in. In the middle of things coming in and running off he got a shot at the twitchy sow. It didn't come together, but at least there wasn't an injured hog. He told me all of this on our way back to camp. When we get there we find that Val is back in camp, he's called it on his spot for the night.

I pull John aside and convince him to go get on that stool! Hogs have been coming in every night about 30 minutes later than this and it's as good of an option (or better) than any other Hail Mary.

He goes out and the rest of us guys are pretty much glued to our binos from the other side of camp. Long story short, the hogs came. A bunch of them ran in and started feeding between John and the lodge. In my rush to get him out there I failed to fully describe the angles of the light and shooting lanes to focus on. John not having this knowledge, but seeing hogs at 20 yards, decides it's up to him to make it happen and he starts stalking in with a weak green lens headlamp. The sound of his feet on unseen twigs ends the opportunity with a bunch of hogs at about 15 yards.

Over dinner I can clearly see John is a different man than I met a few days ago. I can see where he is equally excited by how close he got, and disappointed that he didn't get to carry that return all the way to the end zone.

I think of this as a "bowhunter going after hogs" versus "a hog hunter with a bow". His experiences today remind me of what makes a turkey hunter a turkey hunter, an elk hunter an elk hunter, and a hog hunter incurable. Welcome to the brotherhood!
Sunday morning we all loaded up and headed for home, this is a trip I will never forget!!!
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glenbo
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glenbo   Email glenbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on an exceptional hog. Thanks for taking us along.
Posts: 1271 | From: newburgh new york | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story bud. You do the place justice.
Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done...
Posts: 949 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!!!!!

What a trip you guys had. Lots of action and memories made.

Tom, I'm very happy that one of the wide-body pigs fell to your arrow. Great job! And a great story.

I'm still looking to get a few days off in the spring and get back down there.

Congratulations to all. [clapper]

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2249 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pointer
Contributor 2015
Member # 11915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pointer   Email Pointer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a great hunt and Thom and Doug are the very best guys to share a camp with. Thom deserved to arrow that giant...he worked real hard at getting us into hogs on this trip..setting cameras, pulling them and recording the data. His guidance was superb. I wish I hadn't rushed my shot but it was all part of the learning process for me. There are several things I know much better for next time. I'd been to Wild Things twice before and although those trips were certainly enjoyable this one was taken to a new level for me mostly because of Thom's efforts to get us into hogs.

Seeing his reaction after he realized what his "meat hog" really was will stick with me for a long time lol.

I can hardly wait to get down there again

Posts: 968 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T-D
Contributor 2014
Member # 34508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-D   Email T-D   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Thom and the rest of the guys who connected! Thom that is a great hog you deserve it.

--------------------
Resident Hog Slayer🐗
Hummingbird Bows + Simmons Sharks = Death from above

But with God all things are possible
(Mathew 19:26)

Posts: 405 | From: Stokesdale, NC | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom, love the way you want to honor the hog, you can tell from the pics that he is an old warrior. Very fitting that he stay near the swamps that were his home. I bet a lot of smaller hogs are glad he is gone though.

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1743 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doug g
Contributor 2016
Member # 16288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doug g   Author's Homepage   Email doug g   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom, So glad to have been with hunting with you again, but especially on this one. You definitely deserved this pig. I fear Rick and I created a Monster, your evolution since your first hog hunt with us has been unparalleled by anyone. It is always a blast to hunt with you, and for me to be there when you were at a loss for words after shooting that pig........PRICELESS. John, Val, Keith and Brian the pleasure was all mine, it was great to be your humble cook.

--------------------
TGMM

Posts: 847 | From: Cedarville MI | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2018
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats you guys! You had a red hot week.

What did Brian's hog weigh? they look well fed to say the least.

Thom I'll track you down at K'zoo and we'll chat some.

Posts: 3667 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bisket
Contributor 2018
Member # 36771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bisket   Email bisket   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very happy for you Thom. I have never been on a hog hunt...but feel like I have now. Thanks for sharing your story. Very nice!!
-Mark

--------------------
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 212 | From: Hudsonville, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Thanks everyone! John, I'm glad you're good with how I recounted the hunt. You came a long way in those short days, it was really fun to watch. I hope we get you back into them next time, I'll bring my knife.

I'm glad a few of you were there to see me fall apart and start stammering after seeing it! It'll be your jobs to make sure I don't leave that part out when this story comes out around the fire in the years to come.

Bryan's hogs fell just on each side of 200 pounds. It was interesting that the one that weight 215 had a smaller head and tusks, but the one that was 180 had a stout head and nice cutters. He's getting them both done in a European mount, if he shares any pictures with me I will post them back.

Eric, I'll see you in two weeks! I should be there all weekend.

If I missed any questions along the way I sincerely apologize, feel free to send a PM or an email.
Thom

Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the hogs taken. Great story guys.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1616 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maineac
Contributor 2016
Member # 15727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maineac   Author's Homepage   Email maineac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to all. I think your "big" in the title was an understatement.

--------------------
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
Robert Holthouser

Posts: 4239 | From: Waldoboro, Maine | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©