3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » some big boars getting killed at Wild Things! (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: some big boars getting killed at Wild Things!
beaunaro
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaunaro   Email beaunaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom,

Biggest one I've seen here in Florida is around 300#s.

You've done yourself proud.

Congratulations to you and Andrew.

When I get a little time off, I am going to book a hunt with you guys.

--------------------
Irv Eichorst

Posts: 811 | From: Monticello, WI. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LCH   Email LCH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom and gang congrats on your success. I went last May to wildthings it is a great place. What I liked best was remote and no cell service. I was fortunate enough to get a nice sow about 200lbs. My buddy Todd got a nice boar around 175lbs.
I saw some tracks coming out of the swamp that were big enough to lay four fingers in, looked like a small cow track. There are some big hogs there.LH

Posts: 655 | From: burlington,nc | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maineac:
Congrats to all. I think your "big" in the title was an understatement.

Big is big! I got a call from the processor and I've got 120# of sausage to coordinate. A little less as a ratio, but with the weight of the bones and hide I'm not too surprised.

BTW, Charlie saw one "in the same class or bigger" on Monday. I don't know yet if this is a new hog moving into the territory or just an adjacent monster.

Irv, make sure I know when you're coming and I'll put in for a little sick time!

Lee, you guys did great for such a short trip. This dude could have laid the track once those hoves splayed out. They did look like they belonged on a cow!
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LCH   Email LCH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Thom Todd and Bud were very familiar with the areas. One thing we learned real quick was trying to spot and stalk those hogs makes them nocturnal quick.
The track I saw was a long way from where you killed that beast.
Charlie told us he saw one thats back was as high as the bottom of one of those feeders.
Wildthings is a great place.LCH

Posts: 655 | From: burlington,nc | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticksnstones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LCH:
One thing we learned real quick was trying to spot and stalk those hogs makes them nocturnal quick.

Oh boy Lee, you're playing with a powder keg here. I'll share my perspective with anyone who wants to ask, but most people don't want to hear what I have to say.

I learned a bunch about the perils of stalking from some rifle operations in Texas that used to offer money back guarantees, and I had a series of insightful short chats with Irv at Compton's Rendezvous after that. Using this info I prepared a week long hunt strategy and we gave it a test run in December.

As a group we harvested 5 animals between 6 hunters with 100% shot opportunity. In addition we failed to recover 4 animals, and had a few clean misses. We left camp to hunt at 3 hours before sunset each day. That's right, one sit per with no stalking. Directly in/directly out.

While we didn't get the "thrill" of stalking, we did to sleep in, enjoy a leisurely coffee/breakfast. Do tons of practice shooting in camp. Sharpen heads, air out gear, descent, map the winds and carefully chose our plan routes for putting everyone in their stands. When we went out we knew we had at most 3-4 hours to stay hyper focused and motionless. It might not have been as exciting as chasing a pig into the briars, but hanging stuff in the cooler feels really good too.

The problem on other hunts has been that if anyone is stalking on the land in the mornings or daytime it can ruin the hogs travel patterns thus hurting everyone's chances for that night (and often a few more days to come.) The trail cameras don't lie. It seems even when guys don't see any hogs in an area while stalking it, their scent still shuts down their normal movement between stands.

It's hard to find an entire group who all want to hunt the same way, I'm glad we had a few guys willing to do that trial run. I'm glad to know what is possible.
Thom

Posts: 1515 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive enjoyed hunting the old Hog Heaven, Wild Things and the Bacon Strip and must say that Ive seen hogs every time but one, and that was due to bringing a fella who was scared of getting bitten by deadly spiders or eaten by a gator if he so much as left camp. Ive been into hogs multiple times a day in some cases with multiple shot opportunities. Ive stalked a big old boar hog in Texas as well.

Aside from Texas, I have never sat a stand in all those times. In my opinion hogs are a whole lot easier to stalk than deer, I think everyone would agree with me and the chance to do so is always welcomed by this northern deer hunter.

For sure, hunting styles need to be coordinated among the group but if you've got a group of fellas who enjoy still hunting and can get it done right, there is no finer, more rewarding way to hang pork in the cooler for me. The lowland swamps alone are hard to sit tight in without the urge to roam and explore.
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

quote:
Originally posted by Izzy:
The lowland swamps alone are hard to sit tight in without the urge to roam and explore.

I agree with you Izzy! I also killed my first hog there stalking and it was AWESOME! You would certainly miss out on a lot of enjoyable parts of the property if you did just the stand sitting.

Here is a little something more for you to consider since you know the property. What if everyone sat the stands on say the Right turkey foot the first day, then that became the stalking zone on day 2. That evening everyone sits the stands on the Northern 1/3rd of the uplands, that being the stalking zone on day 3, etc. This would keep the stands pristine for their first sit, and any pushing could move pigs towards the stands to be sat later. We toyed with this a few weeks ago, and that's how Andrew ran it for the guys leaving camp today. I know the hunters took lots of shots and had one in the cooler on the second day. Not sure how the hunt finished out, I know weather was working against them especially blood trailing.

Sorry if anyone is reading that last post and hearing a "my way or the highway" tone to it, not at all my intent!
Thom

LCH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19872

I agree it is fun to stalk but your chances for success are higher if you sit a stand. I don't want to sit a stand someone stalked by that morning. Especially if I am paying to hunt.
Thom I like your idea and that would work Wildthings has a lot of acreage and hogs. Like I said it is a great place.LCH

Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not disagreeing with you Thom, you've got some points. I just would hate to miss an opportunity to miss out on hunting the hard way.

Im going there to decompress and wouldn't dare argue with my compadres plans. Ill do whatever they want. I may even sit in camp a spell and talk with Ol Goldy Locks. Its all good at Wild Things.

Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tribe discussed this very thing last week as we shot a 3-D together. Still hunting Andrews beautiful property is why we go. Sitting in a stand may be productive but not our preferred mode of hunting. Two hunts ago our group of eight saw 350 hogs while still hunting. Sure beats sitting swatting skeeters in a tree.

Besides, You aren't going to find many arrow heads from a tree stand!

We have always done our own thing there, used to drive Ray nuts. LOL

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1757 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19872

Everyone should hunt the way they like. I will hunt the most productive way I like to kill critters. There is no wrong way it is about having fun and relaxing and enjoying the moment.LCH
vintage archer
SPONSOR
Member # 3422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vintage archer   Author's Homepage   Email vintage archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THOM

GREAT POST .....CONGRATULATIONS ...SOUNDS LIKE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT TIME

--------------------
Joe Furlong

http://www.tuffhead.com/

Posts: 278 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticksnstones
Contributor 2018
Member # 24842

Thanks Joe, your TuffHead did a great job for me again!!! I wish I could have gotten a picture of the sprays and smears before the rain washed away the blood trail. It was something!

Dave, I've been thinking about the Tribe's hunt quite a bit lately. I'm up for sitting if you guys want but I'm planning on wearing some comfy shoes and doing some chasing with you guys. When in Rome!
Thom

Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom, I didn't realize you were going to be in camp. That's great! I'm sure the guys will be thrilled.

We kidded Blaine and told him this year he has to get out of your back pocket and hunt on his own! [Smile]

I have news. Check your PM.

Dave

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1757 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©