3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Brian Dannenfelser

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Hog Shot Placement & Shield Clip - NEW PICS ON 1ST PAGE 9/13/2011 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hog Shot Placement & Shield Clip - NEW PICS ON 1ST PAGE 9/13/2011
weedwacker
Contributor 2014
Member # 13196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weedwacker   Email weedwacker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info! I had no idea the plate was that tough!
Posts: 54 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Claypool
Member # 26672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Claypool   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Claypool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does everyone think u the magnus stinger for hogs? I had a buddy just get back from texas on a hog/javi hunt. He shot 2 javi's and bent 2 stinger heads. 1 blade and 1 ferrule. Its got me a little worried now. I have a hog hunt scheduled for early may at shilo.

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound. Thats why some people appear intelligent, until you hear them speak.

Posts: 53 | From: missouri | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animal1
Member # 34718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animal1   Email Animal1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet shot!!!
Posts: 10 | From: Washington | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charles m
Contributor 2017
Member # 2599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charles m         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, didn't you pass through another large shielded boar with a 4 blade? Would you please post pics?
Posts: 299 | From: pa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...O'l BlockHead....let me see what I can dig up.

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 29849 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GO Rogers
Contributor 2011
Member # 25710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GO Rogers   Email GO Rogers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Terry, great post...♠

--------------------
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Posts: 507 | From: Fountain Inn, South Carolina | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishoot4thrills
Contributor 2014
Member # 18541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishoot4thrills   Author's Homepage   Email ishoot4thrills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Terry. Appreciate the video tip as well. Someday this info will come in handy when I get to hunt hogs in the future. [pray]

[thumbsup]

--------------------
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Posts: 4197 | From: Cecilia, Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK....I've added pics to my original post...AND to the 2nd post I made adding another hog for reference. All added photos are on the 1st page.

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29849 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charles m
Contributor 2017
Member # 2599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charles m         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!!!
Posts: 299 | From: pa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesKerr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesKerr   Email JamesKerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry do you think you can pass through a shielded boar with a r/d longbow pulling 55# with a 620 grain arrow tipped with a 175 grn. VPA terminator?

--------------------
James Kerr

Posts: 3694 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesKerr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesKerr   Email JamesKerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the post on both forums I couldn't find my original post.

--------------------
James Kerr

Posts: 3694 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tajue17
Contributor 2017
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure if this has been mentiuoned yet but Terry I know your a Fan of the single bevel Abowyers,,, just for info purposes how are the single bevel heads hitting that plate and will they spread the material and make it through?

when I went to Rays one fo the first things he taught me was the correct place to hit a boar and why,, later on I noticed he was a big fan of Grizzlys and I should of asked him this same question where I know he's got alot of boars.

--------------------
"Us vs Them"

Posts: 3053 | From: Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Dang James, sorry for the late response.....yes, I would think you could if your head was SHARP and the animal was still at impact....but certainly enough to kill them for sure....look at Izzy's hogs on the Solana thread. Look at the shielded hog he killed(not passed through) with a 47# bow and a 650 grain arrow.

Tajue17....I'm a fan of the Aboyers because of the way they are built not for the single bevel. I've only killed one hog with a single bevel, and it was an Abowyer Large BoneBuster. It was a sow so no shield was involved....was a nich hog though....bout 150#s.

All of the shields I've passed through have been with 4 blades and couple with WWs But the biggest were passed through with 4 blade Zwickeys.

--------------------

JDunlap
Contributor 2015
Member # 28003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDunlap   Email JDunlap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hit a big sow yesterday and thought it was a perfect shot from about 20 yards, tracked her for 2 hours and finally lost the blood trail. After inspecting my arrow that was broken, I realized that I only got about 9 inches of penetration. I was using a 200 grain stos, 2213 aluminum..total arrow weight of 550 grains, out of a 55 pound recurve that shoots hard. I couldn't believe it. Very disappointed. My broadhead was sharp but not razor sharp. I can get them to cut hair but not "pop" hair like I want. I don't know if that was the problem, but regardless, I will be trying 3 blades to see if I can sharpen them easier or I will be investing in a KME.

--------------------
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 56@28
RER LX LB 60@28 and 53@28

Posts: 557 | From: Glenpool, Ok | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhuntingrn
Contributor 2015
Member # 35544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhuntingrn   Email bowhuntingrn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info! Hope to put it to use soon, we've got plenty of 'em around (Lake Texoma area in North Texas) I've just gotta get out and find a few.

--------------------
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Posts: 853 | From: Denison, Tx. | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©