3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Steven "memo" Dimitrakellis

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Getting Started in Traditional Archery for Bowhunters (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting Started in Traditional Archery for Bowhunters
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome to all! [wavey]

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10022 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William L McCauley
Member # 44949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William L McCauley   Email William L McCauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd say hello. My first post, I've been shooting a Bear Grizzly 60# for a lot of years and have shot nothing but traditional bows. The 60# wears me down pretty quick now so I've decided to build a bow. Found the build along for the pyramid bow and will attempt it. Should be fun.
Posts: 1 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grittybow
Member # 45132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grittybow   Email Grittybow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
newbie here glad i was referred to this site, seem like a bunch of awesome people with a ton of respect for traditional archery.

Great article!

Ariel

--------------------
Archery is in the eye of the bowholder...

Posts: 16 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grittybow:
newbie here glad i was referred to this site, seem like a bunch of awesome people with a ton of respect for traditional archery.

Great article!

Ariel

Welcome! I'm not far from you. Any questions, feel free to PM me any time.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 584 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete
2017 Contributor
Member # 1145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete   Author's Homepage   Email Pete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm left eye dominate, but have been shooting right hand for 51 years. As long as you blink the left eye, this gives the right eye A chance to take over....if you shoot enough and stick with it, it works.

--------------------
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it. Boldness has wisdom, power, and magic in it. W.H. Murry.

Posts: 135 | From: Montana | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank4570
Member # 36659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank4570   Email frank4570   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a forum for arrow making? If there is I can't find it and I don't want to post stuff in the wrong forum.
Maybe video instructional?

Posts: 17 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Is there a forum for arrow making? If there is I can't find it and I don't want to post stuff in the wrong forum.
Maybe video instructional?

guess that somehow you missed seeing the "how to - resources" forum. [Wink]

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=2

--------------------

Posts: 10022 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank4570
Member # 36659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank4570   Email frank4570   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, it was under archives. I sometimes need a push in the right direction. That should keep me busy for a while. Thanks.
Posts: 17 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Ah, it was under archives. I sometimes need a push in the right direction. That should keep me busy for a while. Thanks.

glad to help out! [campfire]

please don't hesitate to seek help, ask questions, share your crafting on the powwow forum or elsewhere. also, pm or email directly to me if need be! enjoy! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------

BramosCombat
Member # 45825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BramosCombat   Author's Homepage   Email BramosCombat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, although I have been reading a lot of posts prior to joining up. Impressed with the amount of information and experience here. I look forward to picking your brains and learning all I can. I was a compound shooter, picked up my first long bow and fell in love with it. Now, I don't find myself going back anytime soon.

Bramos

--------------------
Bear AuSable Longbow, 55#
Easton Axis Traditional 400's, 145gr tip, 100gr insert

Better to be behind the bow, then in front of the arrow.

Posts: 13 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meflyfisherman
Member # 46090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meflyfisherman   Email Meflyfisherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

New to this site and to "hunting" with a traditional bow. I have been hunting with compounds for 30+ years but shooting recurves off and on since I was six. I picked up a 69" Bear Tamerlane and had so much fun shooting it that I decided this year to forsake the compound and get into using traditional gear.

I just bought a Bear Grizzly a couple weeks ago and im shooting really well with it. 50# but Im only pulling 27" so im around 48#. I checked a spine chart and tried my Beman ICS hunters with a 125gr tip and it seems to be shooting well (quiet too) with such a light arrow. My question is, what would you all recommend for a good build for a hunting arrow (and same for practice).

My thoughts are GT traditional classic (cut to 28") with 5" shield cut feathers and a 150gr Magnus Stinger broadhead. This alone will put me at ~ 10gr per lb of pull. Would you recommend brass inserts for the broadhead end of the arrow and in what weight? I have had good results with a myriad of wheel bow arrows in the FOC area but not sure how important it is in traditional hunting arrows. Also, many blogs recommend a 500 spine arrow for this weight but with a heavier tip and the generous center cut on the grizzly, im thinking a can keep with a 400 spine, heavier arrow. Do you all agree.

Thanks for any suggestions, Im wicked stoked about this years season and want the best penetrating arrow I can deliver!

--------------------
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Posts: 55 | From: New Gloucester, Maine | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyoungvero
Member # 46119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyoungvero   Email dyoungvero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the article. Last fall, while in New Mexico, I was at a craft show and saw a fellow who was building beautiful custom bows. I hadn't shot a bow for 50 years, since I was 16. I talked with him a bit and then visited his shop/range where I was able to shot one of his long bows. Half an hour later, I left with a 70 inch, #42/28 ordered. It was delivered in time for Christmas. (Since my draw is just short of 30 inches, seems I am drawing 46-48 pounds.) Got connected with a great group of folks who run the local indoor range here in Vero Beach, FL. Started with their 20# recurves twice a week. Have now worked up to being able to shoot a 70-80 arrows from my bow in my normal hour range time. Goal is to be able to consistently put six arrow string into a 5 inch circle at 20 yards.

Although I had not planned on hunting, the range owner has several hundred acres west of town and hogs are a problem, tearing up pastures and the 3D range he has there. He needs to cull about 20-25 a year. When the cameras show they have started moving in the daytime, we'll start hunting them.

At the age of 66, I can't tell you how exciting it is to get back into a great sport.

Thanks for the site and I hope to be able to post some photos sometime in the future.

Don Young

--------------------
Donnie Young

Posts: 1 | From: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

welcome to trad gang, don! [wavey]

sounds like you got a good bow, how's that holding weight treating ya? work into it, don't overdo!

feral hogs have been at epidemic proportions in the USA for many years. i read one gov't agency report that stated if 70% of the ferals were killed off in a year, they'd be back to epidemic numbers a year later.

enjoy!
rob.
[campfire]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©