3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

John Deitterick

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Tribal Gathering at Wild Things! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tribal Gathering at Wild Things!
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fa Kow Ee just returned from yet another fantastic time in the South Carolina sunshine!

Our group included some seasoned vets as well as one newbie. We are all friends from SW PA and regularly shoot stick bows together. I don't believe a finer bunch of characters can be found. Also in camp was our friend Thom Jorgensen from Michigan. Andrews friend, Don, flew in from South Africa for a birthday surprise and turned out to be a real hoot and very entertaining! An epic adventure was sure to come with such an assembly!

The tribe historically has not done well at the property in spite of all our efforts. This year we did have something besides memories to bring back in the coolers.

The weather was hot and sunny with daytime highs from low to high 80's. We about croaked after being used to our cold winter PA weather! We still hunted the swamp in the morning and sat stands in the hardwoods for the evening.

First night I sat the famous Gumbo stand. At dusk a herd of 16 hogs ran in. Man, they were LOUD! Fighting, squealing, and attempted breeding. It was wild! Two nice boars were pushing and shoving their way to the feeder, just tossing smaller hogs out of the way. I was losing it perched only 15 yds away, my gosh I never had the shakes that bad! When I drew the Abbott longbow back my leg finally stopped jumping. I was somehow able to shoot two of the boars in the squealing, ever moving, mass of confusion! It was a night of little sleep as I awaited the morning tracking. Andrew, Don, Thom, Charlie, Harry the Wonder Dog, and I found no sign of a lethal hit on my first hog. The second hog was found by Harry 200 yds away! It was a 95# boar and I couldn't have been happier!

I'll finish later, it's late and I have work in the morning.

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1745 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the hog!

In for the rest!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11833 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkhunter-27
Contributor 2016
Member # 44229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkhunter-27   Email elkhunter-27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to "the rest of the story!" [campfire]
Posts: 146 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bud B.
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud B.   Email Bud B.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Posts: 7391 | From: Zoo City, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17179 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keng
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keng   Email keng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made my first trip with the tribe to the swamp. I could hardly wait for our departure date, but anxiously passed the days shooting, making lists, shooting, buying lights, shooting at night with a bow light, shooting at night with a headlight, packing, shooting, unpacking, shooting, packing again. You get the picture. I have never been shooting so well. I was ready!
As the time was getting close, my daughter's basketball team kept winning games in the state tournament. They had a heck of a run, but lost in the western finals Tuesday, 2 days after the tribe departed, but that gave me more time to practice. I headed south Tuesday night after the game, and arrived early Wednesday at Andrew's. After unpacking, I shot a few arrows and we suited up and fanned out to kill the furry things. No sightings that night. Did I mention I have been shooting very well?
Wednesday morning, after a few more practice shots, we fanned out again, and went walking, hoping to spot and stalk. while walking along slowly, I shot a rubber blunt a few times to stay loose, and was hitting mud clumps at will. After about an hour, I was glassing a field in front of me when I heard a palmetto rustle beside me. I looked and there was a pig 30 yards out. Then, just as I dreamed, another stepped into an opening slightly quartering away at 12 yards. They had no idea I was there as I burned a hole in her with my eyes and drew. After what felt like a perfect release, I watched my arrow bury itself in the mud right behind her leg and under the chest. I mmmmmmissed

Posts: 44 | From: pa | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawkeye n pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawkeye n pa   Email hawkeye n pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Dave!!!

--------------------
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Posts: 453 | From: apollo,pa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Dave. Probably be better eating than the pork you been eating at Sheetz.. [Smile]
Posts: 11385 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawkeye n pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawkeye n pa   Email hawkeye n pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to Bob also!!!

Lol Roy

--------------------
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Posts: 453 | From: apollo,pa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Butler
Contributor 2016
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] We left Wild Things 2 weeks ago and I'm still going thru withdrawals. Congrats on the pork!!

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2314 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruinman
Contributor 2017
Member # 36891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruinman   Email bruinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!! Glad the tribe got some bacon.
Posts: 1169 | From: SC | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two other close encounters while slowly walking the middle road of the turkey foot. The first was near Styles. I approached a turn and heard a grunt, and it was close! I attempted to leave the road but the bone dry leaves were too crunchy and a wall of briars and brush were in my way. A sow walked out of the briars and then right back in again. Then the brush right in front of me started to part, I raised my bow to shoot, then the worlds biggest armadillo lumbered up to four feet of me! [Smile] The ever changing breeze shifted and nine hogs of all sizes went flying out of the briars only 20yd away. They swam the swelled upper end of Hog Lake and were gone, way cool!

On another slow walk around Hog Lake I got between six hogs on one side and one on the other. All were within 15yd and the breeze was in my face. No chance for a shot as they were in the cane rooting. Another swirl on my neck and they blew out. I got ready for the single boar on my left to cross the road but he was hauling butt to catch up to the others.

While I was having a banner year several of my buds had yet to see a hog. Was the weather, pressure, or just plain bad luck the reason? Andrew and Thom were unsure what was going on as well.

Toward the end of the week things started to get some better. Three hunters got shots from stands after dark. Two clean misses and a perfect shot from Bob! He shot a 120# sow with his recurve on the last evening! As Bobby would say, "Oh Yea!"

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1745 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Hildenbrand
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Hildenbrand   Email Bob Hildenbrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8:15 Saturday evening. Two sows and about 15-20 little ones stormed the feeder I was watching. Largest sow presented a quartering away shot at 12 yards. Shot went in about 1/2 back and 2/3s the way up on her right side and exited behind her left front leg. Took out both lungs. She dropped after about 40 yards.
53# Bear Tigercat, 35-55 GT, 175 gr. left bevel Grizzly.

Had the opportunity two watch a family of 5 or 6 otters down in the swamp, saw many turkeys, gators at camp and deer.

Spent another great weeks with some of my very best archery brothers and made a new friend in Don.

Thanks to Andrew, Thom, Charles, and Don for another exceptional experience at Wild Things.

Posts: 427 | From: S.W. Pa. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is Red's hog.

-

Here is Bobbys 150# sow.

-

Posts: 11385 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoachBGriff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoachBGriff   Email CoachBGriff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way cool!!!!

A hog hunt is on my to-do list for sure!

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Posts: 1129 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©