3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Jakesville (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jakesville
R. W. Mackey
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 16582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R. W. Mackey   Email R. W. Mackey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned from my first N/W Nebraska, Merrians turkey
Hunt. Had a great time and a productive hunt, always fun to
Go somewhere different. Although I have shot many Rios,
Easterns and one Osceola, this was my first time for the Merrians. They are a beautiful bird and live in some spectacular country, they gobble a lot, but can be a challenge to hunt, especially this time of year.
Most of the grown Gobblers were with hens from fly down on through the day. But the Jakes were eager to answer your calls and would seem to almost race to see who could get to
That sweet sounding hen first. First morning I called in 9 jakes
At once straight off the roost. Some had full gobbles but most had that crazy half Yelp half gobble and we're making plenty of noise. They came running on the scene and immediately attacked my Jake decoy, after each one had his share of roughing up my decoy they wandered off.
That's how it went every morning, no matter where I went the Jakes came running in first thing every morning. I called in 23 in all in 4 days hunting.
Finally called in a hen by her self early one afternoon, I new
My luck would change. If a hen was by herself that probably
Means the Gobbler is too. Went to a wheat field where I had seen birds before, put out three decoys and a blind and heard a gobble while setting up. The gobbling continued and even increased, I usually call sparingly in the afternoon but today I thought this one might be looking for some company and really poured it on. It doesn't always work but it did today.
After about 20 minutes I heard another gobbler join in and they were definitely headed my way. After a few minutes and many gobbles later they came strutting into view. Went straight for the Jake and surrounded him still in full strut, they were both about the same size so I was going to shoot whichever gave me the first shot. Happened really fast as one came in front to face the decoy this gave me the shot up the back that I prefer. I can't beleive that in all this excitement with my first grown Merrians standing right in front of me and knowing this would complete my grand slam, I was able to pull off the shot.
I guess my hunting instincts went on auto pilot and made the shot for me. Next thing I know he is flopping on the ground right in front of me. The other Tom immediately jumps on him and starts spurring him really good. I have seen this many times,I guess he was the dominant bird and his subordinate was getting a little pay back.
All in all a great trip and the best part of it is all those jakes will be two year old birds next year, Game On.
Best of luck to all the Turkey hunters this spring. A few pics from the trip.

RW
 -
Coldest day I've ever Turkey hunted

-
North West Nebraska Pine Ridge area

-
I just love those three blade heads

-
The bird and my old Morrison
 -
This is my blind and field I shot the bird in, but notice something standing in the field, it's a white Coyote, a first for me.

--------------------
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT. Practice until you Can't do it WRONG. Dave Rorem

Posts: 737 | From: Severance, Colorado | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acedoc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acedoc   Email acedoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great shot and write up!
Posts: 122 | From: india | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are cool looking turkeys!

Congrats!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11807 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crittergetter
Contributor 2017
Member # 40336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crittergetter   Email Crittergetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Roy!!!

--------------------
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Posts: 2010 | From: East Texas | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoachBGriff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoachBGriff   Email CoachBGriff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! That's very cool!

I AM going to do a Nebraska hunt one of these days!

--------------------
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Posts: 1129 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Skinner
2017 Contributor
Member # 7469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Skinner   Email Jack Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang-it Roy I haven't even got to try your call yet and you already have a nice bird down. Way to go and congrats on your first of many I am sure.
Posts: 987 | From: Cheyenne, Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 8594 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip I need to do , Great bird....

,,,Sam,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2628 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ksbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ksbowman   Email ksbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow , never had that many jakes come in! What an exciting hunt! Great job.

--------------------
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Posts: 1872 | From: Paola,kansas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tater   Email Tater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats.....that's a beautiful bird.. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
PBS Associate
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 3335 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.S.
SPONSOR
Member # 9316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.S.   Email A.S.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] [thumbsup]

--------------------
http://www.tenringstrings.com

custom flemish twist bowstrings

Posts: 4217 | From: Ruckersville, Va | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yohon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yohon   Email Yohon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Posts: 1284 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done [thumbsup] You got a Tom in Jakesville... [saywhat] Beautiful Bird and pictures. [goldtooth]
Posts: 887 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome job and yes on my todo list also there's something about turkeys with
tradgear

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3194 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the Turkey. Cant say I have ever seen a white coyote before. I've seen them from light gray, to red to black.... but not white. thats cool.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17129 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©