3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Dalton Lewis

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Tuffhead 300's (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tuffhead 300's
Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhnter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchased them, and have some questions for those of you who have delt with them before.

Main thing is, the 1/4" tanto tip was ground kinda roughly. I went to their site, and found the tip is double beveled, which I found strange on a single bevel head. The tip bevels were far from cutting edge sharp, and try as I might I cannot seem to get a good double beveled edge on them. What do you do with them?

I had to sharpen the heads quite a bit for a head that is suppose to come sharp. Is that normal for this head?

I like them, but was a bit shocked at these things.

Posts: 1061 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hone any broadhead I buy,before hunting,regardless.I see no problems with the tip though I hone mine a little.It is designed to breach bone and not curl.In 52 years of bowhunting,the Tuffheads are the best made broadheads I've mounted on arrows.I'm wondering what you used last,that these shocked you?I may want to get some.
Posts: 3833 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TuffHead is the best broadhead built in it's class bar none. IMHO

I've used them in the past and loved the results. Never found them hard to sharpen and I expect to sharpen and head I receive.

This year I'm running with the Solid heads from Elite archery. They gave me some of the very expensive heads and I want to thank them by showing some pics of the bull moose I take with them. If I wasn't shooting these I'd be shooting Tuffheads.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9343 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhnter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You miss read what I mean by being shocked. It was just unexpected, but I am not at all unsatisfied. I dont mind honing, Ive always honed or touched up broadheads too. But I could not get them sharp enough, without first raising a burr to finish making the edge. Then I got them extremely sharp in no time. I was hoping to get away from that, and thought id be able to just touch them up. Thats not a deal breaking issue. More then anything, I want to know what you guys do, with the tip, which is said to be a double edge bevel....leave it how it is, or try to sharpen it?

And yes, its a far different tip then im use to in using grizzlys and kodiaks. The single bevel on those heads form the tanto tip and the whole thing is single beveled...so I was shocked these were that different.

Posts: 1061 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Kissner
Contributor 2014
Member # 1258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Kissner   Email Bill Kissner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuffheads are made from stainless knife steel. It is understandable they might take a little longer to get that perfect razor sharp edge. After attaining it though they stay sharp. I have Tuffheads that have been shot into a foam target that are still very sharp after many shots.

--------------------
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Posts: 1222 | From: Wayne City,IL/Mancos,CO | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shadowhunter,I just hone the bevel on each side of the tanto with a very small,hard Arkansas stone.That little chisel tip doesn't bother me at all.It's just a little different than we are used to looking at.I now remember checking it out when I got my first ones.Once I hone each side of that tanto,I trust that little chisel to be sharp and do it's job.I've had tips curl on not so heavy bone before and it wasn't pretty.I trust these to never do that.Fred Bear put a way larger chisel tip on his personal hunting heads,for that reason.

You could always do a little double bevel to the tanto,like Ashby did to the Grizzlies.I did all my Grizzlies that way as well.This brings them to more of a point but still,a strong tanto.I just decided to run these as is.

Posts: 3833 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vintage archer
SPONSOR
Member # 3422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vintage archer   Author's Homepage   Email vintage archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JASON Shadowhunter

I am sorry you are not completely satisfied with our TuffHead 300.

You should expect to find a sharp broadhead when you open the package of a broadhead made by Vintage Archery. We strive to have the TuffHead and MeatHead sharp enough to shave hair when they leave the shop.. That is what we strive for...we are not perfect. That is why we offer in writing on the web site 100% satisfaction warranty with our products. I wish you had contacted me when you had a chance to evaluate them.

Unless the blade is damaged stropping should bring it back to extreme sharpness, I do not recommend the use of a file on our broadhead as i would not recommend one for a custom hunting knife

Since you have filed on them they normally would not be warranted but if you would like to start over I will replace them.

Drop me a email !

Thanks

Joe Furlong
Owner

--------------------
Joe Furlong

http://www.tuffhead.com/

Posts: 278 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Thats a very generous and thoughtful offer Joe. I used a file, and a piece of cardboard to strop with and they are as sharp now as any broadhead ive had in my hands. I didnt know about, but understand your policy on file usage and the warranty. Ive sharpened so many heads with a file I didnt even think about it being an issue. I can say from experience that if a person really knows what they are doing, your heads can be worked with a file that produces a very keen edge. Sharpening them wasnt something I wasnt prepared to do, but I dont take any real issue with that, other then not being what I expected. They are great heads with beautiful steel though, and I like them.

I'll use this opportunity to ask you here a couple questions , so I and others might learn....

what is your idea and recommendations on the double beveled tanto tip...should the double bevel edge be touched up/sharpened, or do you expect them to be left as is from your company?

Do you think it hinders penetration having a semi sharp double bevel on the tanto tip, as compared with heads that have a sharp single bevel edge straight through the tip, and forming the tanto?

vintage archer
SPONSOR
Member # 3422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vintage archer   Author's Homepage   Email vintage archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JASON

The Tanto tip of the Tuffhead "is "partially formed by the single bevel grind and then again ground on the flat side of the tip to make it a double bevel.. The thicker the metal such as in the 300 grain broachead which is .080 there is a small chisel point formed rather than a sharp point. this chisel point becomes less exaggerated or obvious in the 225 grain broachead which is .060 thick and even less noticeable in the Meathead which is .050.thick.

I am aware of the test measuring the amount of pressure to penetrate a deer skin using a pointed tip vs. a chisel tip. This test shows ,for those not familiar with it, that a pointed tip is more effecient than a chisel tip. I have conducted this test and demonstrated it many times while teaching bowhunter education classes. This test is conducted by hand and not from a arrow shot out of a bow. The test only shows one factor in arrow penetration.

When designing a broadhead these things are taken into consideration and weighed against other design features. The tanto tip is designed for strength and resistance to curling. .This feature more than off sets a real pointed tip especially when a bone is hit.
We have tested many variations of our tip and can not see any difference in penetration under test measuring penetration when shooting a broadhead tipped arrow from a bow into different media including animal caucuses. TuffHeads are noted for great penetration and strength under adverse conditions . You know the ones that Murphy's law dictate. These features are demonstrated constantly in the field.

A sharp tip is very important If you are not satisfied with the tip sharpness from the factory by all means use a fine stone or a appropriate W&D paper on it. The maim thing when sharpeneing factory formed bevels either on the tip or or sides is try not to change the angles .

I am continually experimenting and trying things to improve the broadhead or accessories that are used with our head such as adaptors. We are making great strides, as others are , in improving archery equipment which can be offered to the public. We are not resting on our loral's.

Some times though a good idea is hard or not economic to implement in a production scenario.

Jason ,I hope that you have good luck hunting and hope to see a trophy picture and story in my email .Feel confident the TuffHead will do the job

Thanks

Joe

--------------------
Joe Furlong

Posts: 278 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Thank you very much for all that Joe, I appreciate it, and am certain others do too.
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion the TuffHead is probably the TUFF'ST head on the market. [banghead] I can say that because I've hit some pretty hard stuff with the ones I used and they held up just fine.

There's not a critter too tough for a TuffHead. [knothead] Joe is a stand up guy and stands behind his product 100%

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5008 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vintage archer
SPONSOR
Member # 3422

WARRANTY CLARIFICATION

Jason ...Filling the broadhead will not negate the life time warranty.
which states we will replace the broached if it bends or breaks under hunting conditions.

What I was referring to is our complete satisfaction out of the package warranty . Since the broad heads had been worked on.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Furlong

Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Oh ok! Thanks for that clarification! As you can obviously see, these are my first tuffheads. So please bear with me while I make the transition!
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used TUFFHEADS on whitetails, Mule deer, groundhogs (probably tougher than the deer) and have never come close to what I would consider "broadhead failure". I can't say that for every broadhead I have used.

Joe's eagerness to answer these questions speak volumes to me. Outstanding product.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
www.Tradwoodsman.com What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Posts: 3979 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wapiti792
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapiti792   Email wapiti792   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last 4 critters with a Tuffhead, out of the box with a 100grain insert. I always figured that bevel was that way for a purpose. I shot through a cow elk and a giant whitetail before that. That tanto opens them up, the S cut from the single bevel leaves a hole and blood trail Ray Charles could follow.
 -
*Tom
 -
*Another
 -
*A goat

-
Mr. Bear

--------------------
Mike Davenport

Posts: 3136 | From: Southern IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©