3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Manolito Munoz

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » 175 grain broadhead. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 175 grain broadhead.
fireball31
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireball31   Email fireball31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I should have looked at the available options before perfectly tuning my new arrows. It seems that I am very limited when it comes to 175 grain screw in heads. I am leaning between Grizzly's and the single bevel Eclipse Werewolf's. Any other good options that I'm missing. I have also debated just taking out the 50 grn brass inserts and putting the 25grn aluminums in. This would allow me to bump up to 200 grn heads which appear to be more plentiful.
Posts: 716 | From: Sand lake, MI | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zwickey-Fever
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zwickey-Fever   Email Zwickey-Fever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would check into steel broadhead adapters, they come in 75, 100 and 100 grains. Then look into the glue on broadheads and figure out what best meets your needs and weight. You can also look into brass inserts that come in 50, 75 and 100 grains. It just takes some figuring to find the right ingredients. For me, if you're set on a 175 grin broadhead, I would go with a 170 grain screw in Zwickey Delta with a 5 grain brass ring. But then again, I'm a Zwickey fan. Best of luck

--------------------
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Posts: 224 | From: Southern Iowa | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zwickey-Fever
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zwickey-Fever   Email Zwickey-Fever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.3riversarchery.com/brass-arrow-weight-washers.html
http://www.3riversarchery.com/zwickey-delta-2-blade-screw-in-broadheads.html

--------------------
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Posts: 224 | From: Southern Iowa | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fnshtr
Contributor 2017
Member # 18653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fnshtr   Email fnshtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Simmons in 175 grain. I took 2 deer this year with them. Great blood trails!

--------------------
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Posts: 2681 | From: Rockport West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yohon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yohon   Email Yohon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
175 Grain VPA 3 blade and you used to be able to get a Snuffer screw in at 175 too but after the company closed they are hard to find. 3 blades sharpen so easy......

--------------------
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Posts: 1284 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Kendrot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Kendrot   Email Steve Kendrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the variety of glue on points and inserts available it's not hard to come up with a 175 grain head. Furthermore, I've never found a 5-10 grain variation in tip weight to make much difference, especially with carbon arrows.
Posts: 967 | From: Maryland | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northern lights
Member # 21344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northern lights   Email northern lights   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the 175 grain werewolfs in double bevel this year and got a good blood trail and awesome penetration out of my 50# Kodiak with C/X250's. 10 point was quatering away went through from high on back rib and ended up in front leg slightly above knee, they also shot right where my field points did when trying them on target.

--------------------
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Posts: 91 | From: central pa highlands | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fireball31
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireball31   Email fireball31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by northern lights:
I used the 175 grain werewolfs in double bevel this year and got a good blood trail and awesome penetration out of my 50# Kodiak with C/X250's. 10 point was quatering away went through from high on back rib and ended up in front leg slightly above knee, they also shot right where my field points did when trying them on target.

What are you using to sharpen them?
Posts: 716 | From: Sand lake, MI | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhnter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhnter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are numerous options out there. Even if you were limited to grizzly and Eclipse. ....why would you need anything more?
Posts: 1061 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simmons Tiger Sharks!

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Northern Mist Baraga , Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 655 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye1977
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye1977   Email Buckeye1977   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yohon:
175 Grain VPA 3 blade and you used to be able to get a Snuffer screw in at 175 too but after the company closed they are hard to find. 3 blades sharpen so easy......

X2

Nick

--------------------
Nick

PBS Associate Member
Kemp Kwyk Styk 56" 47@28
Toelke Chinook 58" 47@28
Zipper 58" 58@28

Posts: 660 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
highlow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for highlow   Email highlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second fnshtr. Those Simmons are something to experience.

--------------------
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Posts: 907 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for VPA
Posts: 2649 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KAZ   Email KAZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VPA 3 Blade ..... Or two blade... Great broadheads throughout their product line.
Posts: 887 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lowrider
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lowrider   Email Lowrider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Simmons Tigersharks and also the Ace glue on 135 with a 42 grain aluminum adapter 3 Rivers sells. I also have the 3 blade VPA SCREW IN 175.
Posts: 692 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©