3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Tom Jenkins

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » New year need new broad heads. Opinion needed (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New year need new broad heads. Opinion needed
Zradix
Contributor 2014
Member # 17930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zradix   Author's Homepage   Email Zradix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KentuckyTJ..

When you posted about not buying into the 3 blade cuts more right after I posted that it did, I thought you were challenging my statement.

That was all.
No biggie..

No bad feelings here what so ever ...even when I thought you were challenging me....lol

You said you weren't anyway and I believe you.

You have more hunting experience than I...that's a certainty.
Mine is fairly limited in comparison.

I have some experience and only wish to openly share what I've seen with my own eyes...much like you I'm sure.

The OP should give your thoughts and experience much weight.

Happy Hunting to you KentuckyTJ.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Posts: 6042 | From: Shelby, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fletcher
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fletcher   Email Fletcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot Kodiaks, so I guess that would be my answer, but have also done well with VPA. In a 3 blade, I'm liking the Grizzly Instinct these days. All your choices are good; sharpness and placement are what really count.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Posts: 5880 | From: Rochester, IL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have experience with the VPA 3- blade, but used the 2-blade 200gr this year. After a few stumps, dirt, rocks, and one deer....I couldn't be happier. They fly true, and I haven't put as much as a ding in one yet.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 681 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elewis
Member # 45423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elewis   Author's Homepage   Email Elewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People used to use sharpened rocks lol
I wouldnt stress to much about the choice as I think they would all work well. But to add an answer to the post I like the sound of the grizzly's that I got which are basically the same as Kodiaks I believe. Makes sense to go with the heavier ones if you want the extra weight anyway since it should be a bit stronger.

I am using a fairly heavy hardwood shaft to begin with so I don't think I want too much extra weight. Kinda low on FOC but I am sure that the 700 grains of arrow weight will help the penetration plenty enough.

--------------------
Current bow (and first): Bear Grizzly 50#

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pick your poison.

Your choices will produce the same result provided you place the arrow on the mark. Having said that I would still lean heavily towards a 2 blade.

Just recently, succesfully guided two traditional hunters on their first deer harvest. They were shooting less draw wt. with one having a 25" draw and the other having a 26"...complete pass thru's...excellent blood trails..very short recoveries...both were using 250 gn 2 blade VPA's.

The latter was taking his first shot ever in the field. He was shooting a 45@28 Samick Sage drawn to 26"s. Have never witnessed an exit anywhere near this extent. The deer was broadside and wheeled at the shot. The arrow marked three inches back from an ideal mark yet still took out the rt lung. The exit traversed 14"s in length and 2 1/2"s wide. Virtually all of the organs had spilled out. Was a wonder that the animal didn't fall on the spot. A gruesome display of lethality.

Note: Would highly suspect any benefit in using a single bevel with low poundage in conjunction with a moderate weight arrow design. Actual increased bone breaking capability, in my opinion, would not be plausible.

Note: Have used the VPA 3 blade 250 gn with excellent results. From complete pass thrus on turkeys, deer and hogs up to a 500# stag. However, I was shooting 52@28 high performance limbs and an additional 100 gn insert.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6487 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grizzly 185 Gr would get my vote at the draw weight
Posts: 2509 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-dog
2017 Contributor
Member # 6871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J-dog   Email J-dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want them to die by a two blade hole or a three blade hole? How good are you at sharpening? The VPAs are easier to sharpen for me really but learned how to really sharpen the cutthroats with a file this yr pretty easy too to super scary sharp. Cutthroats come to the burr stage too though so maybe that's a factor.

I used the old Grizzlies for yrs haven't handled the new versions but I mean they are Grizzlies! And they have improved them a bit? You can't go wrong.

You can't go wrong? Just depends on shooting and sharpening ability!

Cheers,

--------------------
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Posts: 2049 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpdaddy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpdaddy   Email Carpdaddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abowyer, many years, many deers, and even more misses, still holding strong! Lost one after a shot but the other two are good. Bought Grizzlies also later due to price and they have been good also.

--------------------
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Posts: 554 | From: Corbin Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had good luck with all of those heads and others in my search for a favorite. My personal choice for you would be.... get those 185 Grizzlys and be done with it.

Don't look back, just learn how to mount them straight, how to sharpen them up well and how to put them in the spot they need to go.

Done....
ChuckC

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crested Finger
Member # 44074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crested Finger   Email Crested Finger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the reasons I have been looking at the vpa 3 blade is because I have heard they are easy to sharpen, is it fool proof?

--------------------
Feathers are friends!

Posts: 50 | From: CO | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zradix
Contributor 2014
Member # 17930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zradix   Author's Homepage   Email Zradix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope..but I find it a heck of a lot easier than holding a consistent angle by hand.

..3 blades are their own angle guide

--------------------
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Posts: 6042 | From: Shelby, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarrinG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarrinG   Email DarrinG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deer are fairly thin-skinned critters. Personally I prefer a 3 blade. Zradix made a very reasonable argument for using 3 blade heads also. 3 blade heads are a gimme to sharpen. Get`em sharp...not just so-so, but sharp! Pick the right shot opportunity and put`em where it counts and you'll have a great bloodtrail and soon be dragging dinner.

--------------------
Mark 1:17

Posts: 235 | From: Western NC | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screamin
Contributor 2017
Member # 21502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for screamin   Email screamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a problem sharpening 2 blades or single bevels, get yourself a kme sharpener and problem solved. I can get 2 blades, single bevels, far sharper with it than I can a 3 blade.
Posts: 753 | From: Utah | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©