3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

2017 St. Jude Auction

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Strike plate? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Strike plate?
BAK
Contributor 2017
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two factors come into play with the strike plate.

First how thick it is, how far it moves the arrow to the left.

Second, how "hard" it is, a softer plate doesn't provide the kick that a hard one does.

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 987 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter_w
Contributor 2016
Member # 37337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerhunter_w   Email deerhunter_w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an opportunity to shoot my bow this evening. After I relaced my velcro strike plate with a martin rug strike plate. It changed POI to the right. it also weakend my arrow slightly but I got the results I was looking for.

Thanks.
Jeff

--------------------
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
62" stickflinger 51@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 409 | From: nc | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Jabben
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Jabben   Email Gordon Jabben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bare with be on this, I could and probably am all wrong but if you are aiming off the arrow and use a thinner strike plate to move the arrow to the right(right hand shooter) wouldn't you move your bow over to the left to get your arrow back on target and you're back to hitting to the left again?
Posts: 895 | From: Bartlesville OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the rug strike plate thinner than the replaced velcro?

Your arrow shooting left to begin with is a result of a too stiff shaft. Moving the strike plate in, if the rug is thinner, accommodates some of that extra spine by moving the center of the arrow closer to the center of the bow. Thus, you shoot closer to where you're looking.

Posts: 8375 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter_w
Contributor 2016
Member # 37337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerhunter_w   Email deerhunter_w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a little thicker but its a softer material. When I bare shafted before the arrow was slightly stiff but not enough to change. After fletching the arrows they flew perfectly.

I shoot instinctive so I dont sight down my arrow. According to the guys that have attended Rick Welch's class. Velcro is neutral, leather will move the POI to the left, and martin rug will move it to the right. I really dont know exactly how it works. "I'm still learning". He use's different material to move the arrow so it impact where your looking. Here is a link to a thread in the shooter form forum.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008077

Jeff

--------------------
58" Tall Tines 49@28
62" stickflinger 51@28

Posts: 409 | From: nc | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, I'm glad it worked for you! The softer side plate material gives you a different reaction with the arrow--- being thicker and softer it positioned the arrow point further to the left of the riser which made you naturally move it to the right as you aimed bringing your shots onto the target. I have found this adjustment to be a great way to get your bow to shoot where you look.
Posts: 387 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
Contributor 2017
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Guess this old dog just learned a new trick. Though I've been shooting sticks for more than 50 years, I really haven't experimented too much with side plate materials; thickness, yes, materials, no. I've used mostly leather over the years, and switched to mostly velcro the past 10-15 years or so.

If your arrow is shooting stiff and you move the side plate out, it should shoot stiffer yet, but what you're saying is that a softer material will make it shoot weaker even if it's thicker.

I can envision the action that would have to occur to make that happen. The arrow tip/tip area, when it's released, does momentarily press into the bow side plate as it begins its first bend. Of course, the shaft quickly bends the other way as it moves forward such that the entire shaft clears the bow if it's spined correctly.

If the side plate material is so soft that it compresses more (than the compared material) at the initial moment of the release, the point of the arrow/arrow would be closer to the center of the bow at the side plate at release, which would require a bit more spine. Or, said another way, it would make the stiff spine shoot a little weaker, which is what happened in your case.

So, theoretically, it's possible. I find it hard to believe though that the difference in softness between velcro and a rug rest is great enough to cause that effect.

I think rifleman's explanation might be more plausible, or maybe it's the combination of the two. Regardless, glad it works for you.

Posts: 8375 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Jabben
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Jabben   Email Gordon Jabben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes rifleman, I could see how that would work with a thick soft plate material.
Posts: 895 | From: Bartlesville OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasTrad
Contributor 2017
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasTrad   Email TexasTrad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Rick's school and he showed me how to adjust the side plate to cause the arrow to hit where you are looking. Softer material (like Martin) moves the arrow to the right even though it is a little thicker -- The softer material provides more cushion.

It works for the rest as well.....i.e. if you put softer rug rest on, it will move arrow impact down.

Some people suggest that this is a shortcut to proper tuning but I can get bare shafts to fly almost perfectly so long as I have a shaft that is spined pretty close

It is kind of counterintuitive but it works (for me at least)

Posts: 518 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter_w
Contributor 2016
Member # 37337

Texas trad. What type of rest do you need to raise your point of impact?

Thanks Jeff

--------------------
58" Tall Tines 49@28
62" stickflinger 51@28

TexasTrad
Contributor 2017
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasTrad   Email TexasTrad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deerhunter -- I have never tried to raise my point of impact (always trying to lower it) but I believe the harder the material the higher the arrow impact. If I was trying to raise, I would try Velcro or some type of thin leather with not much cushion.

As a side note, I think the easiest way to raise or lower the arrow impact is to raise or lower the nocking points (I used one above and below the nock). That is what Welch teaches. He gets left/right correct by adjusting sideplate material and then adjusts nocking points up for lower arrow impact or down for higher arrow impact.

Posts: 518 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerhunter_w
Contributor 2016
Member # 37337

Just curious. You was talking about lowering it. Thought it may come in handy sometime down the road.

Thanks. Jeff

--------------------
58" Tall Tines 49@28
62" stickflinger 51@28

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©